Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glorified Kickboxer

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Can you post a video of Xing Yi Form where the hop around like a boxer?

I would love to see what you are talking about...

Because a Boxer doesn't hop or jump in the air...he actually bounces around. But there are also flat foot boxers too. So it depends on the training. But Jumping rope consecutively for 20 minutes helps with the stamina needed to bounce like a boxer. If you can not jump rope at a steady pace than your hopping skills will be sad...

But please share the video of Xing Yi Quan where they stay on their toes and hop around or bounce?

I would love to see it?
    Regardless of what you may have heard, Boxers, of any type, don't really "bounce around".
    Even what some TKD guys do isn't really "bouncing around", though it sure looks like it.
    Being on the balls of your feet, for lack of a better description, and such doesn't = "bouncing around".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Regardless of what you may have heard, Boxers, of any type, don't really "bounce around".
    Even what some TKD guys do isn't really "bouncing around", though it sure looks like it.
    Being on the balls of your feet, for lack of a better description, and such doesn't = "bouncing around".
    But it means NOT being in a KUNG FU ROOT!!!

Why is it so difficult to discuss very basic kung fu training aspects in this forum that is full of so called "experts"???!!!!

Wow when I post bouncing you disagree...but all the post about hopping around you had no problem with...I Find that mystfiying? Maybe its just because I posted something useful to aid with future understanding...

Most of the time boxers use the term Dancing. But if you actually look at their feet they are slightly bouncing their weight up and down. Kinda of like they do when training with a jump rope...

Sanjuro do you agree the dancing boxers do is similiar to what they do with a jump rope. Only while in motions by Strafing to side, moving backwards,side stepping, circling around,or moving forward?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bounce[1]

Does anyone know about a boxers footwork?

Wow when I post bouncing you disagree...but all the post about hopping around you had no problem with...I Find that mystfiying? Maybe its just because I posted something useful to aid with future understanding...

Most of the time boxers use the term Dancing. But if you actually look at their feet they are slightly bouncing their weight up and down. Kinda of like they do when training with a jump rope...

Sanjuro do you agree the dancing boxers do is similiar to what they do with a jump rope. Only while in motions by Strafing to side, moving backwards,side stepping, circling around,or moving forward?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bounce[1]

Does anyone know about a boxers footwork?
    Are you asking me, a former Amateur and semi-pro boxer with a winning record that trained out of Sully's gym, one of the best ones in the country, if I know about boxing footwork?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Are you asking me, a former Amateur and semi-pro boxer with a winning record that trained out of Sully's gym, one of the best ones in the country, if I know about boxing footwork?
    And I believe he is still asking!

P.S. As far as your boxing record goes then, BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

See Yoshiyahu, one needs to feed the egos of these Glorified Kickboxers otherwise they get depressed and sulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    But it means NOT being in a KUNG FU ROOT!!!
    based on my experience with both boxers and yi quan folks, at a high level of proficiency, the results are the same: many paths, one mountaintop

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    based on my experience
    Thank you!

Can you post a video of Xing Yi Form where the hop around like a boxer?

I would love to see what you are talking about...

I would love to see it?
    He didn't actually say they hopped around like a boxer.
    He said there's hopping up and down in the Xingyi form (Which there is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3WC9514iw

Yes please answer my question Mr. Glorified Kickboxing champion of the world Sannnnjuro Roninnnnn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BquHUw1KA

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

Wow finally a video I want the other guy to post one as well...I loved your video...I think Xing Yi is an excellent Art.

But in retrospect we were discussing how real Wing Chun hops around when fighting...

Do you agree a Wing Chun does hopping about an dancing when fighting in the streets?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

They may "hop" but they still have their kung fu roots. No roots, no kung fu!

Yes, no one said that. If Yoshiyahu came to that conclusion, that would be a comprehension issue for him.

There is the issue of whether boxers actually "hop" as well, but that dsicussion would almost certainly go nowhere.

TWC's entry technique is often described by non-TWCers as a "hop", and techincally it is, though the intent is forward, not upward.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    There is the issue of whether boxers actually "hop" as well, but that dsicussion would almost certainly go nowhere.
    Boxers do what they do and it works for them but it has nothing to do with kung fu roots.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    TWC's entry technique is often described by non-TWCers as a "hop", and techincally it is, though the intent is forward, not upward.
    Let us say that it is a rooted "hop"!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yes, no one said that. If Yoshiyahu came to that conclusion, that would be a comprehension issue for him.

So do you think Hopping,Bouncing and dancing is more advantageous than rooting in your footwork while fluenly flowing from one step to the other with out the up and down motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Thank you!
    and your point?

Wow finally a video I want the other guy to post one as well...I loved your video...I think Xing Yi is an excellent Art.
    Does it matter who posted the vid?
    Anyone with a little bit of Xingyi experience could have told you the same thing.

The fact is: you didn't know that internal arts (that are supposed to be always rooted according to you) actually have some jumping and hopping IN THEIR FORMS. Chen Taiji has jumping kicks and twirls through the air as well.

You have a PRECONCEPTION about arts you haven't learnt from some articles or something. Then you and HW108 are making assessments about what's rooting and internal and just stupid judgments about how deep it all is. Yet your experience is pretty ****ing limited.

At least I've had some real lessons in Xingyi, Taiji, boxing etc.

But in retrospect we were discussing how real Wing Chun hops around when fighting...

Do you agree a Wing Chun does hopping about an dancing when fighting in the streets?
    What a stupid loaded question.

If I said "do you agree real WC guys do the robot dance and wave their chins in the air to get their heads knocked off?" would that be a real question?

You were denigrating the idea of "hopping around dancing" and accusing boxers and kickboxers of not having awesome rooting abilities for fighting. Wake the hell up. They probably do a lot more fighting than you do and hit pretty hard for their supposedly bad rooting abilities.

You can't conceive that it would work even though they prove their approach over and over. Hence you see it in a negative way and use negative terminology. You don't even know what they're doing or how it's done. You're assuming you know and frankly you completely mis-characterized them.

You're stuck following a dogma of your own creation. Even internal arts jump around in their forms but you've never known that.
    Last edited by Edmund; 03-31-2009 at 06:51 PM.