Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating up the good ol' heavy bag

Beating up the good ol' heavy bag

So I've heard conflicting ideas on this.

I'm going to start putting in more regular long-session heavy bag time, and I'm wondering what people recommend in terms of what to have on the hands for it. I've been fine barehanded so far, but a few people have told me not to get into regular, long bag sessions without hand wraps or bag gloves. And, as always, what some folks present as indisputable truth, others brush off as absurd, so I've had people telling me I can just jow up and go to town as long as I want.
    When you stop growing you start dying.

I always try to make sure my wrists are supported before doing bagwork these days. I've learned from experience that with the bag moving you will misstime a hook at some point and sprain your wrist.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

hey man as long as you put on medicine you will be fine i been doing bare hands for some months now
    my advice is stop before your skin starts cracking after that u prolly get injured, one time i got bruised so bad i couldnt punch for 2 weeks
    main problem isnt bruises, its more cuts from sewing lines on the bag

also if its a public bag always wash it
    i always wash bag at gym before i punch because i see some people kicking it with their stinky feet

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

standard wraps and bag gloves are recommended.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

i split a knuckle in just a few hits if I don't have a bag glove on

yea, got to do something...they make all of the newer hand wrap things that are like fingerless gloves so you don't have to spend the extra time wrapping
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    So I've heard conflicting ideas on this.

I'm going to start putting in more regular long-session heavy bag time, and I'm wondering what people recommend in terms of what to have on the hands for it. I've been fine barehanded so far, but a few people have told me not to get into regular, long bag sessions without hand wraps or bag gloves. And, as always, what some folks present as indisputable truth, others brush off as absurd, so I've had people telling me I can just jow up and go to town as long as I want.
    What kind of bag do you have?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I use MMA-Stlye gloves. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm good
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What kind of bag do you have?
    The kwoon has several different ones (I don't have one of my own, nowhere to put one). At least one canvas one, a few vinyl (or something like it) ones, and at least one that's some kind of faux-leather material. Varying weights between them all.
    When you stop growing you start dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    The kwoon has several different ones (I don't have one of my own, nowhere to put one). At least one canvas one, a few vinyl (or something like it) ones, and at least one that's some kind of faux-leather material. Varying weights between them all.
    Gloves on the canvas one, for sure.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'd say its just good practice to put on wraps to give your wrist and hand a little bit of protection.

I mean honestly, it can't hurt, right?

Especially if your hands are sensitive. When I was doing iron palm training when I was younger, I started hitting the heavybag barehanded... not a good idea and my hands got torn up..

So I did what any teenager would do... I kept doing iron palm with open wounds and kept soaking my hands in the jow (owww...)...

I still have scars on my hands from that

Hand wraps and good gloves. Very important. Worth the time and investment.

i have a vinyl one at home. personally it depends.

when im on my bag im not always using wraps or gloves. depends on how long im going to be on it for one thing. it also depends on if the entire time im on it ill only be working on punches. i never wrap my feet

i do own wraps and some bag gloves, and often will wear the gloves.

i used to wear wraps every time i would work my bag but have kind of stopped.

i use these
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    I'd say its just good practice to put on wraps to give your wrist and hand a little bit of protection.

I mean honestly, it can't hurt, right?

Especially if your hands are sensitive. When I was doing iron palm training when I was younger, I started hitting the heavybag barehanded... not a good idea and my hands got torn up..

So I did what any teenager would do... I kept doing iron palm with open wounds and kept soaking my hands in the jow (owww...)...

I still have scars on my hands from that
    No one really taught you the iron palm did they....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i dont really think heavy bag is good for conditioning the hands
    i only punch it to get the feeling of punching something heavy and pretend its real peoples

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I love my heavy bag. I use MMA gloves, and take out all my frustrations on it with a vengeance.

I use it to practice many scenarios that I have envisioned in self defense situations, and mix up my techniques.

Boxing and Five Animal Kung Fu, with an emphasis on Tiger and Leopard, were my first loves, so I favor those techniques, but work hard not to neglect the other material in my arsenal.
    Figure Eight