Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to defeat a SKILLED knife fighter who's out for your a**?

How to defeat a SKILLED knife fighter who's out for your a**?

How do you defeat a SKILLED fighter who's out for your total destruction?

I was watching some knife fighting videos on youtube then the thought came to me "What the hell would I do in that situation?", " Thrust a guard out and have it cut to ribbons!...no I'd shorten my guard and my blocks (I know theres no blocks in wing chun- maybe my defensive hand techniques ) then I'd perform some sort of limb destruction to immobilize the weapon then I turn and take out my opponent.

By the way the attacker is SKILLED! like an EVIL GURO DAN INOSANTO!!!! theres no one stab to guts but a million and one slashes).

1.What would you do?

2.Can you shorten your guard? And what happens to the immoveable elbow theory?

3.Does anyone practice limb destruction in there wing chun (nerves, muscles, joints)?

4.What about your footwork? Is it alive enough for this kind off situation?

5.What drills do you think would help? It can could from any art once you mod it to use wing chun concepts.

Ah dude, if a guy has a knife and knows how to use it, you're a carved turkey, period.
    Unless you have a knife/weapon and are BETTER than your attacker.
    Unarmed VS a knife?
    Versus a guy that KNOWS how to use it and WANTS to kill you?
    Ah dude....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well I understand what you're saying sanjuro but what if you have no choice, you have nowhere to run, your wife and kids are here, what do you do? Raise your hands and say "kill me quick!"? You have to try something...at least if you want you and your family to live.

Now go back and write something a little more helpful...I've read your posts you're brilliant when you want to be(still not knocking what you said before...its true!).

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuickstep View Post
    Well I understand what you're saying sanjuro but what if you have no choice, you have nowhere to run, your wife and kids are here, what do you do? Raise your hands and say "kill me quick!"? You have to try something...at least if you want you and your family to live.

Now go back and write something a little more helpful...I've read your posts you're brilliant when you want to be(still not knocking what you said before...its true!).
    Hey, no one said anything about folding into the fetal position !

But lets be truthful here, the first thing you need to accept is that, IF you are unarmed VS someone that knows how to use a knife and wants to kill you, you are ****ed.
    Now, having accepted that, what do we do?
    Take the ****er with us.
    Now that we have established the correct mentality, what do we do?

My suggestions is to get a hold of the Die Less Often series by the Dog Brothers, it will open your eyes to many things.

After that...look, I have gone up against a knife when I was unarmed, and the times it has happened I was lucky that the people where either to drunk to know what they were doing or that I got the jump on them and took them out and found out AFTER that it was a knife that he was reaching for.

Understand this, a trained knife fighter will kill you before you even know what is going on, the best you can hope for is to "SEE" what is gonna happen before it gets to that.

depends on your skills set and what is involved...

give him your money

keep your distance until he gets bored or tired

maintain control over the knife arm and persons body structure

go ape on him and be prepared to die in the process

there is no answer, be prepared to get cut and lets be thankful that the number of skilled knife fighters is still low and those with the skills don't generally go around attacking people!!!!

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Good advice I have been given is train with the assumption that the attacker has a blade.

Your empty hand skills should still help you...

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuickstep View Post
    How do you defeat a SKILLED fighter who's out for your total destruction?

1.What would you do?
    pray I don't bleed out before help arrives...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Funny we went over this same scenario while training with my sifu two weeks ago. A friend of mine who's a 4th dan in Shotokan karate and brown belt in BJJ had learned all these knife defenses for yrs and believed he could disarm a attacker with a knife. Well, I know from my early days with sifu that he is very skilled with a knife... You do see where this is going right?

Just so happens one of our training brothers carries around his Chinese daggers and other knives along with a rubber training knife. Well it didn't take long to find out that...If you're unarmed against a skilled knife wielding attacker " You're Dead!!!

My friend tried everything he was ever taught about knife defense, and learned it would result in you getting carved up like a turkey the day after Thanksgiving.

Like sifu says the best you can do is try and keep distance between the person and yourself. If you do have to in gauge them, you have to let them move first and look for a chance to attack and go for the kill!!!

You have to have the intent to kill, and hope and pray for the best.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 03-19-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Look at it this way, its hard enough to beat someone WITHOUT a knife, much less with one, even much less with a knife and KNOWING how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Look at it this way, its hard enough to beat someone WITHOUT a knife, much less with one, even much less with a knife and KNOWING how to use it.
    Yup. And that goes for multiple opponents, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz08AUmXSxE

Scary stuff. Guys can't even get their guns drawn to fire back.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz08AUmXSxE

Scary stuff. Guys can't even get their guns drawn to fire back.
    A must have my friend, a must have.

Unless you have a weapon and skilled with it, I'd say run and make space - throw obstacles in the way, and get away.

Even trained with a firearm, in less than 20 feet, you are at serious disadvantage.

Talking

run and show him your ass... He will surely die of humiliation.

I can't get youtube at work but I remember in one of my L.E. academies watching a set of video's that basically left me with the impression "your screwed" the Officer couldn't draw as fast as the knife guy could close distance. So instead of tactical fire drills I guess wind sprints is a better use of time.