Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to defeat a SKILLED knife fighter who's out for your a**?

Question Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuickstep View Post
    THIS THREAD (FORUM) IS A WASTE OF TIME!!!

Whats wrong with you guys why are you guys just wimping out...

All you guys are saying is that wing chun can't deal with that situation so we go dead or go learn another art that can deal with it.

We're only as good as we train so if we don't train for the situation we can't deal with it. Why don't we invite some knife fighters to the forum and let them explain what works for them and why...then we meet them in a dojo with a magic marker and try something.

Seems like this forum is all talk...my style is better than your style, my internal is better than your external, I wanna be like bruce lee when I grow up (I wonder who bruce lee wanted to be like?), modern martial arts and practices better than old martial arts and practices (but then why was your sifu's sifu sifu so **** good...must be luck).People needs to remember that what look good today looks like crap tomorrow.

This thread has shown me the light...I'm done with wing chun, thanks fellas.

Uh...Sihing73...other than the fact that we didnt completely agree i dont really see what Quickstep is talking about here. I thought our exchage was at least civil. Did I miss something?
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

You're right Graychuan the exchange was civil just pointless.

It's like you have a bag with a hole (bag meaning wing chun and hole meaning a hole made by good knife fighters to the system) what do you do...some people recommend ditching the bag for a new one or putting only big things in the bag that don't pass through the hole.

I think we should fix the hole!

You realize noone tried to came up with anyway to deal with such an attack...

But you said EVIL DAN INOSANTO! He's armed. You aren't.

How the hell is anyone going to say they are going to deal with that?

Talking lol

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    But you said EVIL DAN INOSANTO! He's armed. You aren't.

How the hell is anyone going to say they are going to deal with that?

lmao
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

The original question was about dealing with a knife welding attacker that is bent on killing you. Firstly, there are not really highly trained knife fighters left these days because most would have fallen afoul of the law by now. But even at that some people seem to have a natural ability to weld a knife. You can not take a knife from one of these people without being extremely committed yourself. In any case, unless you tend to hang out in places where you might be in danger of this sort of attack, it will happen while you are coming or going on the street. Hardly anyone carries sticks or swords with them when going out to eat or whatever. Most do not carry a pocket knife. A tiny little pocket knife with a razor sharp blade can quickly and easily kill you. How many people here have ever been cut or stabbed in an altercation? Something happens when suddenly confronted by such danger, and it will effect how you react to it. You get a huge rush, and this can make you stand and stare or it can make you get mean. Survival requires you to be as clear about what you are doing as you can get. There are things you can do to defend yourself, but the first thing you need to understand is that you are just about to be cut or stabbed. How badly depends on just how you deal with the situation. You should not confront or otherwise attempt to disarm the person, but should talk as you attempt to find a route of escape. If you are cornered and have no recourse you will have to do something or you are dead. Large coins can inflict serious injury to a face as well as a set of car keys. Your jacket or shirt can protect your body against a dull knife, but a stabber is not effected. The same jacket rolled around your hand and forearm can deflect or otherwise defend you against the blade while you seek a weapon or fight back with the other hand.
    I have been stabbed a number of times. I have been slashed and cut a few more times. I have been stabbed in my back about an inch from my spine and in my left chest. I have had a large knife ran completely through my right hand, severing arteries and tendons, requiring surgery to fix. 2 stabbings were life threatening.
    Let me give you an example of how I managed to defeat a knife attack once. I was coming out of a Kentucky Fried Chicken joint with both hands full. 2 individuals approached me and asked to borrow money. I told them I had no cash. One stood watch while the other called me a liar and started to go into my pockets. I pushed him away and he stabbed at me and drove the knife through my right hand. I could still use it although the thumb tandon seperated. I pulled off my shirt and rolled it around my left hand to ward off the knife. He struck again and the blade went through the shirt and cut my left hand, but I pushed it aside and grabbed his hand with my right hand. I could not hold his arm because my thumb was dead. So, I ran into him and started shoving him off balance and against a round pipe hand rail. I managed to secure his right hand and the knife and as I was up against him I got a big mouth full of his left cheek and bit down so hard that I bit out a huge chunk of meat. He dropped the knife and went to yelling and his buddy broke around the building. What I did next might not have been appropriate however. I kneed him in the groin several times and hammered him in the face. I then pulled him by his hair and lips over to the little yellow speed bump and laid him face down on it with his mouth wide open over it and stomped his head twice. The mall police came before I could leave, but was not arrested. The mugger was. I was then driven to the closest hospital to have my hand repaired. Later the guy tried to sue me for the mouth work since he said he was no longer trying to harm me when it occured. He was lucky that we were in a KFC parking lot and not behind the bowling alley.
    When defending against a knife attack, there is nothing static that you are going to train for. It will have so many variables involved that you just need a general type of defence and then ad lib to the best of your ability. You just have to be ruthless at times. Remember, it is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

You're right Graychuan the exchange was civil just pointless.

It's like you have a bag with a hole (bag meaning wing chun and hole meaning a hole made by good knife fighters to the system) what do you do...some people recommend ditching the bag for a new one or putting only big things in the bag that don't pass through the hole.

I am sorry you feel that way because, the answer is given, quite a few times actually.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    While this is true, we are talking about SKILLED knife attacks.
    I tend to fall in the "over cautious" and "worse case scenario" fields when it comes to edged weapons.
    People who have actually been in real blade encounters are much more skilled than most "skilled" knife fighters who have been "trained".

Most people who are "trained" in knives are mostly theoretical non-fighters.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 03-23-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Whether or not someone is better at a stick than thier opponent is with a blade is not that relavent. The techniques are the same. So it really comes down to who is better at knife/stick fighting period.
    Blunt long range weapons are used completely differently than are edged, close range weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    Oh, one other thing, let someone thrust you with a stick and see if if drops you. If you perform a thrust properly then even a blunt stick will do a bit of damage.
    Thrusting with a stick is very ineffective and almost useless in a standing exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Firstly, there are not really highly trained knife fighters left these days because most would have fallen afoul of the law by now.
    The most effective training ground for fighting with knives is prison.

I pushed him away and he stabbed at me and drove the knife through my right hand. I could still use it although the thumb tandon seperated. I pulled off my shirt and rolled it around my left hand to ward off the knife.
    LOL... meanwhile, he stood there waiting for you to take your shirt off and wrap it around your hand.

Sorry, real life blade attacks don't happen like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    People who have actually been in real blade encounters are much more skilled than most "skilled" knife fighters who have been "trained".

Most people who are "trained" in knives are mostly theoretical non-fighters.
    I'll give you that much.

Thrusting with a stick is very ineffective and almost useless in a standing exchange.
    While I tend to agree in regards to the "long sticks", it must be noted that, with a "palm stick", thrusting becomes far more effective, though, in the context of VS a edge weapon it may not matter that much, every little bit helps.

LOL... meanwhile, he stood there waiting for you to take your shirt off and wrap it around your hand.

Sorry, real life blade attacks don't happen like that.
    Hey, I saw that in "runaway train" with Jon Voight, so it must be true !

to be clear, knifefighter....

The first qoute is actually sihing73... from this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post

FWIW, one needs to make modifications to effectively use techniques trained with a stick and translate them to a knife. Also many of the counters need to be changes as well. One may be able to strip a stick from an opponent but I would not suggest doing that against someone with a blade. Also one can strike with any portion of the stick but one must adjust the angles and contact area to use a blad effectivley.

While it is true that stick work does translate to knife work it is not a one to one exchange. If one is not trained properly then one will be unaware of the variations in angles, etc.

Basically what I am trying to say is that just because someone knows how to use a stick does not automatically mean they are able to use a knife.

Oh, one other thing, let someone thrust you with a stick and see if if drops you. If you perform a thrust properly then even a blunt stick will do a bit of damage.

Please be carful with misquotes, please.

As far as the second..I agree with you that is why i said in my post that sticks are for sparring and training and can be used for combat.
    Last edited by Graychuan; 03-23-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

good lookin' out...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I am sorry you feel that way because, the answer is given, quite a few times actually.

I'm in agreement.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。