Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun Useless?

Is Wing Chun Useless?

Is Wing Chun alone only good enough to fight untrained fighters.

Is Wing Chun alone incapable of defeating fighter who is skilled in both Muay Thai and Wrestling?

Lets say some has been studing and fighting with Wing Chun alone for twenty years. Would it be safe to say that if that WC fighter would loose if he got in a bar fight with skilled MMA fighter or someone who studies both boxing and BJJ?

Whats your take is Pure Wing Chun alone not capable of standing up to Mix Martial Art fighters?

Why is the Wing Chun man fighting untrained fighters? Wouldn't it be the case that the more time he spends fighting trained fighters, the better he gets (at fighting trained fighters).

What makes a man skilled in Muay Thai and Wrestling unbeatable?

What is it that makes a Wing Chun man incapable of dealing with MMA, BJJ guy (insert any art...)?

Why is the presumption in favour of the MMA/BJJ guy?

Presumably, if someone's mindset was such that they found limitation within one art (Wing Chun... insert any art), that he would then choose to do something else?

FWIW, many chunners (on and off this forum) cross-train.

Finally, I don't think that DOING Wing Chun is useless, although discussing it may well be.
    Last edited by Wu Wei Wu; 03-11-2009 at 07:46 PM.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Is Wing Chun alone only good enough to fight untrained fighters.
    That is a myth that is being promoted about Wing Chun (and many other traditional martial arts) by the MA "modernists". The fact is that they don't know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu
    Is Wing Chun alone incapable of defeating fighter who is skilled in both Muay Thai and Wrestling?
    Of course it is. A lot of the time the difference between winning and losing is one good punch. It is all in wether one is actually training Wing Chun holystically; how he trains and who he trains with, meaning wether his sifu is the real deal or some run of the mill "kung fu-ist".

Lets say some has been studing and fighting with Wing Chun alone for twenty years. Would it be safe to say that if that WC fighter would loose if he got in a bar fight with skilled MMA fighter or someone who studies both boxing and BJJ?
    I don't see anyone who has been training any of the major kung fu styles for 20 years, the way they were meant to be practiced worrying about MMA-ists in a bar fight. Perhaps in a ring and sports environment but not in a real fight.

When I say practicing kung fu the way it was meant to be practiced then I mean in Wing Chun's case, proper understanding of the concepts and principles; the application of this principles in real combat and all the ranges, INCLUDING the ground; Iron Palm training; Chin-na training; contact fighting training; sensitivity and "listening" training and conditioning.

Whats your take is Pure Wing Chun alone not capable of standing up to Mix Martial Art fighters?
    Yes pure wing chun capable of standing up to Mix Martial Art fighters in the street. In the ring it is a different story which means the Wing Chun exponent would then have to adapt his training to sports.

Again, you need to practise this art in a complete way and not the McWing Chun and/or b@stardized versions you see nowadays (thanks to the Mcdojo/kwoon phenomenom) all over the Western world including this forum.

Is Wing Chun alone only good enough ...
    You really have issues with reading those historical threads, don't you?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Of course not. The WC guy could do all sorts of street applications that are familiar to WC people:

He could throw his strawberry daiquiri in the MMAers face then stab him with the little umbrella. Lethal at certain acupuncture points.

Then there's the Iron Teeth biting techniques. For the 50 year WC practitioners, it's the Iron Gums. Also lethal (except for the gums one).

In bars, the WC guy often has access to the 6 1/2 point pool que. Lots of experience there. For YKS guys, certain bars have the lethal throwing darts comps on Wednesdays at 8:30. Might not be so good on Thursday/Friday/Saturday, dart board has to be packed up because it's live music.

Depends on if there are sharks or not on teh street . . . . .
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Great Post

I love your energy Hardwork108 and Wu Wei Wu.

It seems today Marial Artists See WC not capable of winning against someone who is skilled in both Standing Fighting and Sprawling fighting.

Very interesting though.

I wounder how UFC fighters Fedor Emelianenko, B.J. PENN, NATHAN DIAZ, DEMIAN MAIA and THALES LEITES like would fair against Tom Wong in a challenge match?

Do you think they are a match for one on one against Wong Nim?

http://www.tomwongwingchun.com/

Tom Wong has defeated black belts in Gracie Jiujitsu with pure Wing Chun only.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Depends on if there are sharks or not on teh street . . . . .
    Or dogs with bees in their mouths, and when they bark, they shoot bees at you.

Yoshiyahu

We have gone over this issue in the past repeatedly and ad nauseam. You can get any opinion you want in past threads.

FWIW, IMO- wing chun doesnt fight anyone. Individuals do. But a person with sound training on wing chun who didn't learn it from the net, from videos, magazines, or an ocasional seminar or two, and who has practiced and trained well does not need to mix styles. You will get other opinions.

Most of the issues you have raised in recnt threads has been gone over again and again and again.

joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 03-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.

New

Well I am newbie. Plus I am sure there are new people here. So Its good to hear new opinions and give some on the issue since I have not taking part in old thread which is pretty much dead now.

I dont see it on page two!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    We have gone over this issue in the past repeatedly and ad nauseam. You can get any opinion you want in past threads.

FWIW, IMO- wing chun doesnt fight anyone. Individuals do. But a person with sound training on wing chun who didn't learn it from the net, from videos, magazines, or an ocasional seminar or two, and who has practiced and trained well does not need to mix styles. You will get other opinions.

Most of the issues you have raised in recnt threads has been gone over again and again and again.

joy chaudhuri

wing chun basic training is not easy to put into practice. You need visualisation, guts, physical conditioning, experience and a good teacher to giude you.

Every system has potential and only a fool would think otherwise.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Tom Wong has defeated black belts in Gracie Jiujitsu with pure Wing Chun only.
    Who has he defeated?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What's useless, Yoshiyahu, is your constant and relentless attitude that "somehow"...."someway"...

WING CHUN MUST be made to work efficiently (ie.- the wing chun fighter will always come out the winner) in situations where wing chun obviously has its limitations.

LOL.

Well I am newbie.
    Yes, yes you are.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Wing Chun can win just like the other can win, it just depends on the situation.
    As for Wong his stuff looks impressive however it looks like he's not a WCK purist then again who is? Take in what works for you and throw out what doesn't.