Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil Lim Tau Applications?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Oh, I see.
    Yes, indeed, the very little they show of it to the "consumer".
    Thank you for your input.

Ha Ha why do they modify their forms instead of sharing the form in its original form.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    in your opinion, are those grandmasters in the youtube know what they are doing? put aside they modified thier form....etc those type of cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Ha Ha why do they modify their forms instead of sharing the form in its original form.
    One can modified thier form, but one cant hide the level of their attainment.

To prevent anyone from learning it from video or alternately, they "mark" the form so that they can tell if they see someone who learned it from one of their public performances.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    To prevent anyone from learning it from video or alternately, they "mark" the form so that they can tell if they see someone who learned it from one of their public performances.
    IMHO this is weak. Forms don't make fighters, I could care less if someone wanted to mimic my forms, they are just their for encyclopedic purposes anyway.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Well you are certainly entitled to that opinion. OTOH, those who prefer not to share their forms with the public are entitled to do that as well. Furthermore, I would think that if you value those forms as little as is implied by your post that you would not particularly care that they altered their forms for public performances?

Whatever the reasons, encyclopediac (which Iron Wire is certainly not) or whatever, the people who have these forms in their possession have no moral obligation to share them with anyone other than their direct students and most of them don't.

Oh I completely agree Iron Wire is not. There are internal sets and such, e.g. dynamic tension, structural development, that I think are far more important that just technique-based forms.

But most CLF forms I learn, are just combinations, techniques, etc. No qigong, etc.

I should have made a better explanation, the forms I know personally I would not care too much if people try and copy them.

As for Iron Wire and such, well, most people that try to mimic will probably not have the skill level necessary to make full usage of the form anyway? (just a thought).

Peace
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

There are reason for that.

One can modified thier form, but one cant hide the level of their attainment.
    yes, they can.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

((re: "hiding the form"))
    There are reason for that.
    That is heard from time to time.

((re: "hiding their level"))
    yes, they can.
    The real problem is when you get the distinct impression that what they're doing actually IS "their level".

The real problem is when you get the distinct impression that what they're doing actually IS "their level".
    Yes, that is an issue, especially with Chiu Chi Ling's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTniv8PuW0

Yes, that is an issue, especially with Chiu Chi Ling's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTniv8PuW0
    How'zat go?
    Oh.... "You sure know how to pick'em!"

OTOH, I hate it when guys do Tit Sin because there's altogether too much "showmanship" involved to get as good a "read" on their actual skills as you can from a "more typical" set.

Beyond that..... a "somewhat diplomatic": "No comment!" will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    How'zat go?
    Oh.... "You sure know how to pick'em!"

OTOH, I hate it when guys do Tit Sin because there's altogether too much "showmanship" involved to get as good a "read" on their actual skills as you can from a "more typical" set.

Beyond that..... a "somewhat diplomatic": "No comment!" will have to do.
    Actually, we do tend to "show" our TSK in a way that best suits what we wanna "show off" at the time, with me because It like to show off the strenght, that is what I do and as you know, other things tend to suffer because of it.
    Guilty as charged

As for GM Ling's, well, he's know to be a joker so...

Actually, we do tend to "show" our TSK in a way that best suits what we wanna "show off" at the time, with me because It like to show off the strenght, that is what I do and as you know, other things tend to suffer because of it.
    Guilty as charged
    Hey, it ain't at all like yer the Lone Ranger in that.... let alone the Lone deRanger.

As for GM Ling's, well, he's know to be a joker so...
    Enh!
    Family name is "Chiu".

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Hey, it ain't at all like yer the Lone Ranger in that.... let alone the Lone deRanger.

Enh!
    Family name is "Chiu".
    LOL, thanks and I thought I wrote out the full name..wierd how only Ling showed up...
    Then again, I need to stop drinking on the job.

LOL, thanks and I thought I wrote out the full name..wierd how only Ling showed up...
    It's also just possible that you'd ventured a little too close to considering them cunning linguists.......

Then again, I need to stop drinking on the job.
    My little brother just informed me that he isn't drinking any more.... which in family parlance can also mean that he ain't drinking any less...........