Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil Lim Tau Applications?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yes, that is an issue, especially with Chiu Chi Ling's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTniv8PuW0
    Is he a well known Folley artist or something LOL ?

I could see the sound effects used for a fighting video game or something.

hwooo, chaaaa, hahahahaha - YOU LOSE - PLEASE INSERT COIN -

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

When you guys show your SLT to others in the public...

Do you hide or modify the form?????

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    When you guys show your SLT to others in the public...

Do you hide or modify the form?????
    Heck no, it's just a form. Showing a form doesn't mean they're going to be able to apply it. If a person wants to know about the form and how it's applied they can join the school. I think teaching fighting attributes is way more important than any form.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-10-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Heck no, it's just a form. Showing a form doesn't mean they're going to be able to apply it. If a persons want to know what the form or how it's applied is for they can join the school. I think teaching fighting attributes is way more important than any form.

Form is like a physical body as soon as the soul is not there it doesnt mean much.

But then for the advance player, even from other style, who can read into the "soul" every point is important.

Thus, I have heard, the secret "half point" of WCK was never in the form but it is hidden and waiting there in the application.

IRON WIRE is certainly not SLT not WCK. That half point of WCK is a different animal and require different type of Jin which is the fast accelerate Jin or Chuck Keng.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-10-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Thank you for that post...Good analogy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Form is like a physical body as soon as the soul is not there it doesnt mean much.

But then for the advance player, even from other style, who can read into the "soul" every point is important.

Thus, I have heard, the secret "half point" of WCK was never in the form but it is hidden and waiting there in the application.

IRON WIRE is certainly not SLT not WCK. That half point of WCK is a different animal and require different type of Jin which is the fast accelerate Jin or Chuck Keng.

Much more true than most seem to believe.

Thumbs up

But then for the advance player, even from other style, who can read into the "soul" every point is important. . . . .
    That's exactly why I can't understand why people say their way is the right way and some else's is wrong. Or when they say this or that won't work. There are people that can do all sorts of acrobatics and yet many people can't.
    If I'm unable to do something physical (within reason of course), it's because I haven't taken the time to train the necessary attributes.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Time to come out of the closet and drop the pajamas.

Time to approve one self one what it is.

Time to be honest and time to be clear on what one is doing.

Time to not have to follow others just because they said so or comes with a big name.

As soon as there is a legitimate reason for the practioner and tell the world the ingradients as it is. Why not?

Time to come out of the closet and drop the pajamas.
    That should be your signature!! JK

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    That's exactly why I can't understand why people say their way is the right way and some else's is wrong. Or when they say this or that won't work. There are people that can do all sorts of acrobatics and yet many people can't.
    If I'm unable to do something physical (within reason of course), it's because I haven't taken the time to train the necessary attributes.
    One can argue that, if people do a form the "same" way then they have not truly grasped the form as it relates to THEMSELVES.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One can argue that, if people do a form the "same" way then they have not truly grasped the form as it relates to THEMSELVES.
    Why most everything be so secretative. Why do some people feel that one or two forms is the secret to being good at Kung Fu. Its only one element.

Why not share all your kung fu. People are worried about giving away secrets an causing people to become ruthless killers. But real killers don't kill with iron palm or bil gee but they kill with Guns and Knives~

If you want to be really deadly buy a gun or butcher knife.

But why do people fear giving away to much of their art. Could it be that they are really afraid if their students have to much that the student would be better than they are?

While there may not be any forms out there that are critical to being a good fighter and not training any forms as all may not impair your progress at "kung fu", the forms of many styles are critical to mastering certain styles. You can not really master WC, IMO, without doing literally 1000's of repititions of SLT. You can definately not really understand the Yang Taiji that I study without doing at least a thousand repetitions of that form. (less repititions are needed because the form is at least an hour long)

You could become good at fighting.
    You could become good at push hands/Chi Sau.

You just couldn't become good at the style.

Let's take another look at your analogy:
    Why not share all your kung fu. People are worried about giving away secrets an causing people to become ruthless killers. But real killers don't kill with iron palm or bil gee but they kill with Guns and Knives~
    What if the issue is not about creating killers but about simply refusing to give away for free what one has put many years of blood sweat and tears into acquiring? The attitude that everything should be available on the internet, for free and not require any loyalty to a teacher or style is selfish and spoiled. I know my own teacher truly loves his art. The fighting part is almost irrelevant to the secrecy aspects. He considers what he teaches to be a national treasure. Since this treasure, this cultural heritige is information and skill, it can not be kept in a museum or locked in a safe. It can only be cultivated in and and passed on by a person.

What the hell makes a person think that their ability to access the world wide web makes them entitled to those teachings.

That is the attitude of a spoiled child. Gimme gimme gimme. I want I want I want.

Go earn it. (not addressed to anyone in particular. Just a general principle)

If you have the money...you can buy videos from various masters of different lineages. You can access the knowledge on web. You could by books or borrow books from the library. But this is only one portion of it.

Just because the pure form is online doesn't take away from the sifu.

One you have to practice it too.

Two you will need corrections from a disciplined sifu.

But if you already have the fundamentals then seeing these videos will just increase your understanding or give you an ephipany on certain techniques.

Why does everything have to be a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    While there may not be any forms out there that are critical to being a good fighter and not training any forms as all may not impair your progress at "kung fu", the forms of many styles are critical to mastering certain styles. You can not really master WC, IMO, without doing literally 1000's of repititions of SLT. You can definately not really understand the Yang Taiji that I study without doing at least a thousand repetitions of that form. (less repititions are needed because the form is at least an hour long)

You could become good at fighting.
    You could become good at push hands/Chi Sau.

You just couldn't become good at the style.

Let's take another look at your analogy:

What if the issue is not about creating killers but about simply refusing to give away for free what one has put many years of blood sweat and tears into acquiring? The attitude that everything should be available on the internet, for free and not require any loyalty to a teacher or style is selfish and spoiled. I know my own teacher truly loves his art. The fighting part is almost irrelevant to the secrecy aspects. He considers what he teaches to be a national treasure. Since this treasure, this cultural heritige is information and skill, it can not be kept in a museum or locked in a safe. It can only be cultivated in and and passed on by a person.

What the hell makes a person think that their ability to access the world wide web makes them entitled to those teachings.

That is the attitude of a spoiled child. Gimme gimme gimme. I want I want I want.

Go earn it. (not addressed to anyone in particular. Just a general principle)

Omar the Fish says:

Go earn it. (not addressed to anyone in particular. Just a general principle
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good principle for the most part.. Its not always a matter of secrecy-passive auditors or insufficiently trained observers in most serious subjects often mistakenly assume that they can by pass good instruction, practice and appropriate quality experience.

joy chaudhuri