Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first class with Sifu Othal Thomas

BeiTangLang Guest

hmm,...

How about "mantis never blocks hard like TKD"?

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

loki Guest
    8stepsifu,

I dont't know where that came from . My point is simply that we do not concern ourselves with blocking when we fight. That is not to say we have no defense and we walk into oncoming attacks blindly. Let's just say our attack and defense is interchangeable. What does that have to do with what you said? You are right in saying that mantis is "too huge to generalize" but it can be broken down into different parts for the sake of a particular discussion. Obviously, you cannot cover all aspects of the art via a couple of posts but you can certainly talk about the different aspects which make up the art. Again, the no blocking concept has nothing to do with techniques. It's just a way of thinking.

Question for you 8StepSifu, what do mean by "they are actually 12 substyles of mantis" ? Are you referring to the 12 keyword formula? When you say system aren't you limiting the system ? We are are taught that they are principles , not techniques, not styles or system. This opens up the possibilities of what can be done. The mantis, as I am sure you know is made up of 17 different styles plus the mantis itself but knowing that is different from knowing the principles, concepts and theories that have been developed through the generations. Otherwise we would only be using the specific techniques which are outlined in each particular style which makes up the mantis system i.e., 17 techniques + the mantis techniques developed by Wang Lang.

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

robertwilliam Guest
    There are 12 flexible, and 8 ridged methods - and 12 keyword formula - two different things.Wong Long created the 12 keywords while observing the mantids over three years.I don't know when the 12 flexible, and 8 ridged were created.
    I didn't say the word "hard block" about TKD - I meant to say that I think a karate or TKD block has different ?philosiphy? than Kung fu blocking - that's all.

robertwilliam Guest
    ... and the 17 styles in combination with mantis. And yes, in 8 - step, the blocks can be thought of as both offensive and defensive - as per Loki's statement -I totally agree - in fact,when showing, or diplaying the blocks (8 basic upper body blocks, and 8 basic lower body blocks), they could be mistaken for a strike.Ie, the uppercut looks alot like the inside to outside block, and vice versa.And vice versa as far as applying them.Same with the axe kick and the instep block...etc. ,etc...Your absolutly right about concepts vs black and white ideas "this is a block,and this is a strike".Something that looks like an uppercut can turn into 20 million things other than just an uppercut.

loki Guest
    Exactly!

Peace :)

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

harkfu Guest

Teaching the real thing

Loki, I have been watching the posts and being very quiet because I don't know that much about mantis to engage in the discussion but, it seems that I am learning the real thing which was the reason why I placed this post in the first place.
    Before anyones ego starts to flare up remember I am new to this and you must admitt that this must be important to cause such discourse.
    Sifu Thomas is a good no nonsense instructor and by the way I am almost finished the baht bo drill Thanx again to everyone for enlightening me. :)

make me humble so, that I may learn
    Harkfu

loki Guest
    Harkfu, stay in touch! ;)

[This message was edited by loki on 02-13-01 at 02:59 PM.]

Looking at an old post

I was amazed by some of the responses. How can something so simple be seen as so unbelievable?
    ________
    r47
    ________
    WENDIE 99
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Shifu Thomas, sometimes our students take things to literal and confuse the obvious.

I once said to one of my students that 8 step mantis fighters have no retreat.......... When I defended an attack and slid back to counter, my student said umm shifu, I thought you said we dont go backwards.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."