Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first class with Sifu Othal Thomas

harkfu Guest

My first class with Sifu Othal Thomas

Thanks loki for recommending Sifu Thomas.
    My first class was learning basic stances ( something Sifu called botbo)and chigun (something to do with moving and breathing ). I learned the first three steps; wah se, Gun se and dio mah (not sure about the spelling).
    Sifu Thomas teaches each of us one at a time and he is the only one that does the teaching. One of the students said that Sifu Thomas won't let others teach because people pay to learn from the instructor not a student.
    Eventhough I only learned 3 stances I was alowed to try the entire drill along with the class during the class work out. My legs shook so badly I wanted to quit but the class encouraged me not to give up.
    The breathing I just don't get yet but, it was my first class and I now know what is expected. Also Sifu Thomas uses a lot of chinese words and he told me to bring a notebook so that I can right down everything that I learn.
    I also learned that in his class the word block is no used and if you think that you can block a mantis you are in trouble.
    I know Sifu Thomas reads the posts so, Thanks Sifu see you in class tonite.
    PS Man am I sore!!! :)

hark fu

loki Guest
    Hope it works out for you. Stick with it.

Sifu Thomas is right, my Sifu also taught me that the mantis does not block.

Take care :)

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

robertwilliam Guest
    Wadda ya mean by "mantis does not block" , and "you can't block mantis" ? Just curious

8stepsifu Guest
    yeah; I was taught block and attack at the same time

King of the Assyrians

robertwilliam Guest
    ...well... does anyone have anything to say about "mantis does not block" - I've been thinking for 2 days now about how stupid it sounds...It must be that "monty python -getting hit in the head system"

harkfu Guest

no keyword/principle for block

Thanks Again Loki, In class tonight I asked one of my seniors to explain what Sifu means by no blocking. My senior explained it by saying there is no keyword for block in our style and that blocking is slow fighting. Then he also explained how the 18 styles which also are keywords contain no blocks.
    I asked about the kwa choi (please excuse the spelling) and he said kwa means to suspend or cover it is up to you what you suspend or cover.
    Sifu tould the senior that was enough info and told us to practice.
    Loki, what I realized is that movements areonly limited by my own point of view or at least it seems that way.
    Sifu seemed to known just how much I could understand. It seems that he wants us to open up to the infinite possiblities. Loki, later and to all who read this post all I can say is that Sifu Thomases point of view makes perfect sense to me. :)

make me humble so, that I may learn
    Harkfu

robertwilliam Guest

Sticking to the opponent...

Maybe not blocking in the Karate or TKD sense of the word, but there must be a moment, even a 10th of a second where the momentum of the opponents attack is stopped dead, parried, defected, re-directed etc...(unless you dodge and avoid completely, and counter) I call that blocking, or neutralizing the offense.Remember all movements are neither defensive or offensive -each contain potential of the opposite.Just the act of shaving up the inside or outside of the opponents arm right before you mantis grab is blocking that arm from attacking you.

loki Guest
    Hi,

I just finished reading the replies here and it seems that there is some confusion with regards to the idea that there are no blocks in mantis. I don't have much time to get into that right now but will be happy to say something when I get back.

Peace

NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

Lost_Disciple Guest

redirection is a principle

Redirection is one of the principles.

I think the point of the statement "no blocking" is that a mantis practisioner doesn't look at a deflection for deflection's sake. Usually contact and redirection are used to take an incoming attack and hook it. In other cases, you use redirection to open up room for an attack. In karate, blocks are practised as single, seperate moves. In mantis this isn't so, and any time what would be considered a block, is used, it's usually used in combination with something else. Meaning, it is not a seperate entity unto itself. "Blocking" may be a component of a larger technique, but not a goal by itself.

Actually, the principles that I can find that seem related include:

From the 12 flexible methods (Baat kung sup yee yau) - from the old Lee Kam wing 7 star book:

5. Deflecting the straight forward punch in accordance with the key word "Hook".

10. Flipping off an attack. (no, not the middle finger)

11. Combining the hands again instantly after the "open arms" blocking movement.

I also see how principles 2 and 3 could include "blocks" as components as well.

From the 8 hards- there's always "ou lau tsoi".

These are just my opinions; I'm just a total beginner, and I'm probly totally wrong.

Hey loki- I might be moving back east, to Baltimore, at the end of the summer, maybe we can hang out when I visit my aunt in manhattan. :

loki Guest
    Hi Lost Disciple, you're right on track. One of our mottos says that "defense turns into offense the action rounds" and also "attack the attack". One of our most important principles is "Da" which means to hit or strike. Observe two people fighting and you will usually see the one on defense stop, flinch or move away to block , then they will try to initiate an attack as the other opponent goes through the same motions on defense. This just wastes too much time and puts you in a defensive mode. You cannot attack effectively if you are too busy defending. So what we do is defend by attacking (DA) that is, attacking the opponent's incoming attack with one of our own. Whatever we see coming our way we simply attack it and keep moving forward. This keeps you on the attack and immediately forces the opponent to be on the defensive intead. It basically comes down to not being afraid of getting hit. The natural tendency when you see something threatening coming at you is to move away or block it so it takes alot of practise to get that impulse out of your system. It helps to know that your opponent does not want to get hit either. There's more that can be said about this but it is very difficult to do so by typing. It is much esaier to demontrate what is meant in person. Hope this helps a bit.

LD, my Sifu told me you were moving. If you are ever in the N.Y. area do not hesitate to drop me a line right away. Heck, we're practically family(Kung Fu family that is ;) ). I've already met Sifus Fogg, Hughes and Cheng. I also met Phillip Bolton so it would be nice for you to come down and visit Sifu Albright and myself.

Peace

seung ga faat Guest

Bravo Loki & Lost Disciple

You are both on the track and have boarded the train.
    LD since you are using LKW as a reference here is something you can try; With the help of a chinese to english dictionary translate the chinese characters contained in LKW first book, specificly the 12 flexible and the 8 rigid methods. You will be surprised to find out what the characters really state. The ideas expressed

are not as rigid as the translations. :)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

robertwilliam Guest
    Pardon my ignorance to 7 star - the tapes and videos that I've reviewed on 7 star appeared that there was some blocking used, and some of the 12 flexible, and 8 ridged methods appeared to have blocking techniques.It must be that 8-step has more, since there is the Hsing Yi, and Bagua influence involved.I checked out some Hsing Yi , and Bagua information, and they both definately had blocking in the techniques.It's just my frame of reference coming from an 8-step background.And all of the 8-step technique that I have learned so far start off with blocking, then striking, then into joinlock / throw, then finishing move.

loki Guest
    Please forgive my ignorance of 8 Step but can't your blocks be used as attacks ? The problem may lie with the fact that you are looking at certain moves just one way and categorizing things such as "these are the blocks and these are the strikes". Now, there is nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do but wouldn't it be more efficient if you thought of it in terms of your attack is your defense and your defense is your attack. When you spend time blocking (defending) then attacking you waste time. Remember also that the insect which our style derives it's namesake from is a predator. It always moves forward aggressively to "catch" it's prey. That's how we think about it. Again, it's pretty hard to explain in writing. In our system we don't think about techniques per se rather we are always thinking principles. In our keyword formula there is no keyword for "block". Many people translate the word KWA as block but that is incorrect. The proper translation would be along the lines of "hang" or "suspend" in air. By translating it as simply a block you limit the keyword into a specific technique rather than a principle. When we use KWA we use it in various ways, particularly to attack with it. There is really no differentiation between defense and offense. I'm sure you can see moves in our system which you would say "hey, that's definitely a block" but like I said before it depends on how you look at it. We are not in the habit of retreating and when we do we are still attacking. When we look like we may be blocking something it is not in the usual manner in which most people do it. We are charging forward aggressively taking away the opponent's weapons as they are coming at us.

Peace

[This message was edited by loki on 02-11-01 at 03:34 PM.]

Lost_Disciple Guest

Hi

Sifu Thomas- I'll make a serious attempt to get those characters translated. I've got some in-house documentation on those principles, I just wanted to quote something that was public and well-published. There's a good chance I'll be working with the NSA in Baltimore, starting in late August, early September. In that case, I might be showing up at your school, begging you to accept me as a student. :)

Loki- I'll definitely drop you guys a line sometime in September, when I go to New York, can't wait! Thanks

8stepsifu Guest
    Please stop talking about key word principles as if you actually know what they are.

They are actually 12 sub styles within mantis. Not just hooking a punch or clinging to an opponent. It has little to do with the extremeties and everything to do with waist movement. Thats the original 12 characters of wong long and not something that strictly originated in 8-Step. Frankly I'm supprised that you guys don't know this. I'm not trying to be rude, it just seems silly to speculate. If there is one thing I have learned getting into the higher levels in mantis is that there are no absolutes. (Paradoxical eh?) To say "Mantis has no......" Or "Mantis always....." is wrong. It's too huge to generalize. If you are getting into the meat of mantis, then every generalization you have will soon be exploded to creat fertile soil for new learning

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 02-12-01 at 09:22 AM.]