Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nicotine and M.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    nope, sorry i should have quoted initial poster.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    funny thing is my sifu showed me a picture of this champion fighter form mongolia and he was walking down the street with a smoke in his mouth. I laughed and said this top fighter smokes? to which he replied all great martial artists smoke... though that was funny but true, many of the old masters were opium smokers. go figure
    I have been that the great Chow Gar master was a heavy cigarrette smoker up to his death which was around the age of 92.
    Sometimes this kind of thing just doesn't make sense except for the fact that some of the old masters used chi kung exercises to counter the effects of smoking, which in this case makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I smoked for a long time. When I became serious about martial arts I quit and never looked back.

One of the best decisions of my life.
    Did you give up gradually or was it just in one go?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I have been that the great Chow Gar master was a heavy cigarrette smoker up to his death which was around the age of 92.
    Sometimes this kind of thing just doesn't make sense except for the fact that some of the old masters used chi kung exercises to counter the effects of smoking, which in this case makes a lot of sense.
    It happens that occasionally someone will live a long life while chain smoking. In fact smokers like to point to these cases.....while they ignore the many others that died in their 40s/50s/60s of lung cancer.

Sports figures use to smoke all of the time. It's been said that Joe Dimaggio chained smoked and actually got antsy when his team was out on the field for a long time. He would come in and smoke between innings.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    It happens that occasionally someone will live a long life while chain smoking. In fact smokers like to point to these cases.....while they ignore the many others that died in their 40s/50s/60s of lung cancer.
    Good point. Well I am not the one to tell my wife about those smokers who lived to ripe old ages. Maybe being sports men helped them to work out their nicotine and keep their systems more clean. I know some kung fu masters do some internal cleansing exercises but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Actually, I am doing my best to give her all the scare stories I can regarding smoking.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    smoking is bad...really, no joke here at all.

i thought i was going to have to have a go with a guy at work who refused to put his cigarette out when we were getting ready to deliver a tub.

the thing is, once they are addicted, they actually CAN breathe better right after a good smoke...but then, it reverses and they have to have the next one to keep going.

smokers have character defects...if not before then certainly after they get addicted. the denial I have witnissed has be unreal at times.

and I have a hard time when i see someone smoking with kids in the car...most especially in the winter with the windows all rolled up.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Going through a few cravings is no big deal. Carry a water bottle and every time you wanna smoke or use tobacco, have a drink of water.

That, Sir, is the biggest crock of $hit I have ever heard. You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Sincerely,
    H2O-16dayswithoutnicotine-Dragon
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Actually, I am doing my best to give her all the scare stories I can regarding smoking.
    Here ya go, Bro. All the ammo you need and then some.

www.whyquit.com
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Did you give up gradually or was it just in one go?
    I made a decision and quit. The moment for me was one day I was standing outside smoking, and I could feel all of the damage that my lungs had taken and I could feel my body telling me that I was killing myself. It was a horrible feeling. I quit then and there. I even lived with 4 other smokers and still quit. About 2 or 3 months after I quit I was with a friend who was smoking and I told him to give me a smoke. I wanted to test myself. I took a drag off of it and it was the nastiest **** ever. I gave it back to him.

IMO if you are adicted to something, the only way to truly be able to quit, is to want it. To truly want it. Thats what happened for me. That was 7 years ago.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    That, Sir, is the biggest crock of $hit I have ever heard. You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Sincerely,
    H2O-16dayswithoutnicotine-Dragon
    you can make it dude. serious, you will love yourself for it.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Most of the masters in China smoke - in fact its weird if they dont...from my experinece in China in any case.

From the ones I have seen/trained with - sure as hell did not make any difference at all to them.

Over there if you smoke, you smoke and thats it - they dont seem to worry to much about the adverse affects like us in the west.

We are more like -wow they smoke and there skill is amazing - quite narrow minded really.

If your going to smoke - smoke and enjoy it.

Last edited by Blacktiger; 03-31-2009 at 09:23 PM.

I doubt they've had any information about the dangers of smoking.

My guess is the level of smoking over there was like it was here in the 50s.

Thanks everyone for the reply, I am not a smoker, I use Copenhagen as my nicotine fix. I am aware that this stuff is bad for me and anyone else that uses it. I am trying heal my back by doing various types of Shaolin excercises. I realize the importance of blood flow to the damaged areas to help with the healing process. I will discarding my can of Copenhagen and get truly serious about focusing on rehabing my back. Thanks again everyone for information.
    Forget about Yesterday, Live for Today and Pray for Tomorrow
    www.Weaponsathand.com

I have a good friend that is a neuroscientist. He works with a large group of scientists to determine the dangers of certain things. He was involved in an extinsive research concerning addictions. He said that his job was to keep mice high on something. Coke, heroin, nicotine, alcohol, and whatever else. He told me that it appeared that nicotine was the most difficult to quite, and that quitting drinking alcohol suddenly can actually kill you. That is for alcoholics. Cravings are the same for all of these. It feels the same and most respond the same to them. That is why a person who gives up the smoke will eat more. Cravings for carbohydrates feels just like that of nicotine craving. The only way is to completely detox. Quite smoking and go day be day and do not smoke. Eventally, and much quicker than you would think, you actually do lose the cravings for nicotine. There will be times when the cravings are stronger, and will remain like that for a time. After a meal, after sex, early in the morning, or even on the pot. There are times when we habitually smoke, and these times are worse.
    Women are far more addictive then men I think. They can be addicted to so many things. And it seems to be more difficult for them to give up addictions. Women are great at justifying themselves in anything, and they can come up with all sorts of reasons why they can not stop smoking. The only thing I feel will work with them is to tell them that smoking will make their butts wider.

Blog Entries
    When you walk in the woods, you close your eyes, take a deep breath, and bring that fresh air into your lung, you then realize that how wonderful the life is.