Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nicotine and M.A.

some people were amazed by some of the things bruce lee did. doesnt change the fact that he destroyed himself with his steroid addiciton. just because someone smokes and has skill, doesnt mean smoking isnt bad for them. its still just as bad for them as it is for everyone else. but then i guess smoking tabacco isnt any worse than breathing a lot of chinas air in general...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Some people can do many amazing physical feats REGARDLESS of their health.
    Some people live to over 100 and never drink, some live to over 100 and drink every day !
    Irrelevant what the small percentage do or don't do, just like in physical training, some people are great IN SPITE of what they do, not because of it.
    Best to focus on the facts of what something like smoking does the the majority of people.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    some live to over 100 and drink every day !
    Will that person be able to live over 200 if he/she doesn't drink? I guess we would never know.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Will that person be able to live over 200 if he/she doesn't drink? I guess we would never know.

Say what?

I think I can safely assume the answer to that question is no since people don't live that long.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Say what?

I think I can safely assume the answer to that question is no since people don't live that long.
    im going to
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    doesnt mean smoking isnt bad for them. its still just as bad for them as it is for everyone else
    About six months back I recall seeing a story about a study that suggested that there are a small percentage of people who, because of genetics, tend not to suffer the same risks of cancer as other smokers from a lifetime of smoking. Still, the lung issues are enough to not want to do it.

As far as how to quit, anyone offering one way as the only way is wrong. If you find yourself quit, stay quit, if not, keep trying. For some, it's not solely an issue of addiction, some people genuinely like tobacco, which complicates things quite a bit. Still, trying is most of the time the precursor to doing, but if you find yourself laid up or otherwise unable to smoke for a period, use the momentum.

For some, it helps to have places they will not smoke, like at home, or inside in general, which is easier these days.

Still, not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    That, Sir, is the biggest crock of $hit I have ever heard. You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

Sincerely,
    H2O-16dayswithoutnicotine-Dragon
    Try it before you criticize it. You got that water bottle handy?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I smoked for five years and quit New Year's eve 2000-2001.

It's crap, pure crap.
    Another shoddy product filled with so many chemicals and junk, it doesn't get you high or anything, it just relieves the shoddy feeling of not having a cigarette...that's it.

Here's a question: why would people put this in themselves but wouldn't do the equivalent to their vehicle or computer?
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I smoked for five years and quit New Year's eve 2000-2001.

It's crap, pure crap.
    Another shoddy product filled with so many chemicals and junk, it doesn't get you high or anything, it just relieves the shoddy feeling of not having a cigarette...that's it.

Here's a question: why would people put this in themselves but wouldn't do the equivalent to their vehicle or computer?
    Because as a species we are stupid as posts. Individually is where the clever comes out. Or lacks...take your pick. People do a lot of stupid things with their cars and compies too. most time people don't talk about the boneheaded things they do though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Try it before you criticize it. You got that water bottle handy?
    A sip of water wont do anything. A sip of fruit juice will though. One of the effects of nicotine on the body is to stimulate the adrenal glands. This gives the blood a shot of sugar from your body fat followed up by a shot of insulin. Fight or flight and all that jazz. When you smoke, the cigarettes 'feed' the body instead of the body. When you quit, your body has to learn to re-feed itself which takes about 3-4 days. In the meantime, a lot of the physical suffering that goes on during withdrawal is due to a type of temporary 'diabetic shock'. Drinking fruitjuice will give the body a quick shot of sugar until the body learns to feed itself again.

Water is important too, probably more important. But the benefits of water come from drinking a steady amount all day. A sip wont due anything to stop a craving or help alleviate withdrawal symptoms. At least not physically. There may be a placebo benefit, but jolly ranchers work better than anything else for me. Watermelon jolly ranchers to be precise.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

no man green apples are where its at.

oh yeah, can we not turn this thread into an anti-smoking advertisement.

i'm ****ing sick of them see too many everyday.

if people want to smoke ****ing let them.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I quit in January of '06 and haven't looked back. It was actually very easy. I just got a giant bag of weed and smoked that instead.

Smoke to get high, not to die.

weed sucks.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

TCM laced

I wonder what that means. What TCM herbs do they put in those TCM cigs? People smoke all kinds of odd stuff, Colt's Foot, clove, frankincense, not just stuff to get high. I'm moving this thread from the main to the TCM forum.
    'Healthy' cigarettes deceiving smokers
    By Shan Juan (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-03-26 09:03

BEIJING -A Beijing-based anti-smoking group on Thursday said there was no such thing as a safe cigarette and accused some tobacco companies of deceiving consumers.

Cigarettes hyped as low in tar and nicotine or laced with traditional Chinese medicine are misleading, if not outright cheating, warned Wu Yiqun, deputy director of the NGO Think Tank Research Center for Health Development at a seminar.

'Healthy' cigarettes deceiving smokers

China has 350 million smokers, official statistics show. Every year, one million die of smoking-related diseases such as lung cancer.

A survey conducted by sohu.com, one of China's major news portals, found that nearly 57 percent of smokers considered cigarettes marketed as low in tar and nicotine as being less harmful.

In fact, "as scientific studies worldwide have shown, (they) pose the same health risks to smokers as regular ones," Wu said.

China still applies the tar/nicotine measuring standard issued by the US Federal Trade Commission in 1966.

However, the commission rescinded the machine-based measurement as it could not provide meaningful data on the amount of tar and nicotine actually inhaled, said Wang Yiqun, an anti-smoking advocate.

The flawed testing method is largely used by the domestic tobacco industry to make false statements that their products are low in tar and nicotine, she noted.

She cited Zhongnanhai cigarettes, made by the Beijing Cigarette Factory.

Setting its sights on low tar/nicotine as a future marketing strategy, the factory allegedly invested heavily in techniques like adding traditional Chinese medicines (TCM) and shifting to light-colored and appealing packages, experts said.

"They are cheating consumers by cigarette pack design connecting low tar and TCM-laced cigarettes with a healthy, stylish and quality lifestyle," Wu noted.

They have also broken the World Health Organization's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, which specifies that member countries, including China, are obliged to undertake a ban on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship, said Beijing-based lawyer Wang Huiyuan.

China signed the framework in 2003, promising to ban tobacco advertising and promotion by 2011.

A notice on the Beijing Cigarette Factory's official website said that with changing government policy, cigarette packs should change accordingly to elevate brand image, attract more consumers and make more profits.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I wonder what that means. What TCM herbs do they put in those TCM cigs? People smoke all kinds of odd stuff, Colt's Foot, clove, frankincense, not just stuff to get high. I'm moving this thread from the main to the TCM forum.
    In North America, smoking has been sufficiently demonized to reduce sales of cancer sticks dramatically, which leave the only viable markets to use old tactics overseas.

Britain is getting rid of cigarettes, other europeans not quite on board yet with that, but Asia is a promising market because it is filled with enthusiastic smokers who are not yet entirely educated on the matter of health vs smoking.

so, you are going to see a lot of marlboros get burned in beijing and a lot of chinese dead from lung cancer long before you're gonna see a blip in sales.

as for truth advocacy groups in China, well good luck! maybe in 10 or 20 years when the idea of widespread, consistent social ethics kicks in? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.