Thread: Bak Mei Pai Master Dr Y Q Wong Passes

Bak Mei Pai Master Dr Y Q Wong Passes

Dr. Yeu Quang Wong, 69, passed away at his home on Thursday, March 26, 2009. He was born in Macau, China on October 11, 1939.

He was preceded in death by his mother Toh Yee Sang who was the first female ever licensed to practice Chinese medicine in Macau, and his father Wong Kum Ling who led troops for General Chiang Kai-shek in the 1940s. Survivors include his beloved wife, Michon, his daughter Cynthia, his son Leo, two sons-in-law, David and Loic, a grandson, Jacob, two brothers, Wong Yiu Wai and Wong Yiu Kueng and their families.

Dr. Wong received his B.A. in Chinese Literature from New Asia College, Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1965. In 1966, he came to the United States to study on a Yale-in-China fellowship and received his M.A. and Ph.D. in Philosophy from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in 1969 and 1971 respectively. After teaching at the University of Singapore and National Taiwan University, Dr. Wong returned to the United States in 1977 and taught briefly at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga before retiring from academia.

A fourth generation practitioner of holistic Chinese medicine, Dr. Wong started his practice in Chattanooga in 1977, and served on the Tennessee Advisory Committee on Acupuncture from 2004 to 2008.

Trained and authorized to teach by Zhong Ping Fa in Hong Kong, Dr. Wong was a sixth generation practitioner and teacher of Bai Mei (White Eyebrow) kung fu. He practiced this branch of Shaolin kung fu for almost 40 years. He served as vice president of Global Pak Mei Martial Arts Association and President of the Guangzhou Bai Mei Association.

Widely published on the history of Bai Mei kung fu, Dr. Wong traveled around the world sharing his knowledge and working to preserve the integrity of this ancient martial art.

Dr. Wong took great pride in his students and his children, and spent a lifetime embodying, modeling and disseminating the traditional Chinese values of honor, duty, and loyalty. He took his role as educator and mentor very seriously, often citing historical examples from Chinese history to teach moral and cultural values to his students. He was greatly loved and will be greatly missed.

The family will receive friends and well-wishers at the East Chapel of Chattanooga Funeral Home on 404 South Moore Road between 4:00 and 8:00 PM on Saturday, April 4, 2009. Graveside services will be held at 9:00 AM, Sunday, April 5, 2009 at the Greenwood Cemetery on Missionary Ridge, 1954 Greenwood Road with the burial to follow. Those wishing to travel with the family should gather at the funeral home on Sunday morning at 8:30 AM.

In lieu of flowers, those wishing to make a contribution to the United States Bai Mei Association that is being founded in Dr. Wong’s memory, can contact the East Ridge branch of First Tennessee Bank beginning on April 2 at 954-2530.

Please share your thoughts and memories at www.mem.com

Arrangements are by the Chattanooga Funeral Home, Crematory and Florist, East Chapel.

Dr. Yeu Quang Wong
    Born:
    October 11, 1939
    Died:
    March 26, 2009
    Memorialized by:
    Chattanooga Funeral Home-East Chapel, East Ridge, TN
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Rest in peace Dr. Wong ..

Sad, another of that golden generation gone

RIP
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Rest in peace, shifu Wong.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Thanks for all the kind words here and from around the world.

Wong Sifu was a rare man indeed.

The sheer numbers at his service yesterday was just a small testament to his character.

He still lives in us and the generations to come,he was a true Confucius gentlemen.

Awe-Lay-Taw-Fuht

Brother,

I am saddened to hear of the death of Shifu Wong.

Prayers were said to the four winds and joss was lit for him and his clan.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Be well.

Dale
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Pak Mei Pai sifu

I am shocked to learn the sad news of the passing of Dr. Wong, Grand Master of Pak Mei Kung Fu, a great person and a dear old friend.

I had the great privilege of meeting and training under him during his two stays in Spain several years ago. Of these meetings I shall remember forever his highly refined technique, as well as his explanations, comments, advises, etc., which I very much treasured then as much as I do now. His technical demonstrations, unforgettable, displayed such extraordinary precision and control of energy that up to this day l remain impressed. Listening to his explanations on Pak Mei theories while drinking Chinese tea endlessly was indeed a most unique experience, not only because of his vast knowledge but also because of his exceptional teaching capabilities. It was certainly an honour to get to know this man who possessed a knowledge of such a caliber about Pak Mei, Chinese Martial Arts, and Chinese culture in general. It is a great loss and he will be greatly missed; I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to this family, students and friends.

J. Morales
    Asociacion Cheung´s de Pak Mei Kung Fu, Spain