Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The All South East Asian Full Contact Fights from the late 50's, 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    YES Thanks!!! When the internal students go into the external classes and spar they get their a$$es kicked.....I'm working with them to turn the tables...a couple are starting to get it...I've got them wedging.
    Here is another :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1OOPdkiPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jy9C...eature=related
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the label "internal" was the worst thing to ever happen to those arts, because in practice their techniques are good striking and good grappling, but since they seldom train realistically anymore, much of it is being lost (or is lost totally)
    I understand that, just using the universal label. I agree! In the 70's at my school we were taught that way... our push hands are all about strikes, sweeps,locks, kicks, throws, and some grappling....that's all I knew.......it has been really frustrating lately when I play hands with other Tai Chi players outside of our school and they tell me I'm not using real Tai Chi because I do all of the above. All they want to do is push and say if you push somebody down enough they will get frustrated and quit.....I'm thinking no, their going to get pi$$ed off and get up and kill you. I also tell them that pushing is fine until someone slaps the sh!t out of you, then what are you going to do. It's crazy.

Push hands, like Chi Sao in WC, is in many ways the main problem.

A drill that was used to develop a certain skill set or attribute(s) becomes the "end all" of a system in terms of functional training.
    Just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Push hands, like Chi Sao in WC, is in many ways the main problem.

A drill that was used to develop a certain skill set or attribute(s) becomes the "end all" of a system in terms of functional training.
    Just sad.
    Told this a few times before

Guang Yi Ren is Chen Xiaowang's rep in NYC. We ar friends with one of his students. They have video tape of the push hands competitions they do at Chen village

IT IS WRESTLING

it is not the touchy feely no force crap you see over here

a US based "push hands champion" went to Chen village and asked to push, he was picked up in a body lock and thrown, he told them they weren't doing tai chi push hands
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Those are more familiar.....I've been practicing Chen for around 10 years now and it's my primary focus (or should I say my favorite) along with Baqua (30 years here). Not saying I'm good...it's just a big part of my life.

Guang Yi Ren is Chen Xiaowang's rep in NYC. We ar friends with one of his students. They have video tape of the push hands competitions they do at Chen village

IT IS WRESTLING

a US based "push hands champion" went to Chen village and asked to push, he was picked up in a body lock and thrown, he told them they weren't doing tai chi push hands
    I agree that push hands SHOULD turn into clinch wrestling, I mean, why shouldn't it and how can it not in a functional way?

The problem is the lack of "aftermath" of "clinch wrestling" within taiji training (typically).

Those are more familiar.....I've been practicing Chen for around 10 years now and it's my primary focus (or should I say my favorite) along with Baqua (30 years here). Not saying I'm good...it's just a big part of my life.
    Chen for 10 years too

I agree that push hands SHOULD turn into clinch wrestling, I mean, why shouldn't it and how can it not in a functional way?

The problem is the lack of "aftermath" of "clinch wrestling" within taiji training (typically).
    there is something to be said for throwing them down hard and running away (or stomping on their head)

I think in the grand scheme, ground work must be intergrated, but I can see where they are coming from

to me, much of Tai Chi is wrestling, we know wrestling works, but as a friend said to me recently "only the Chinese could take wrestling and make it a non functional TMA"

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

IT IS WRESTLING

Two names I respect the most.....been to a Chen Xiaowang workshop and plan to attend more! he's awesome...no BS
    Our school went to Chen village in 98 and a couple of our masters pushed with a couple of theirs...your right it was no patty cake...we left with a lot of mutual respect.

there is something to be said for throwing them down hard and running away (or stomping on their head)

I think in the grand scheme, ground work must be intergrated, but I can see where they are coming from

to me, much of Tai Chi is wrestling, we know wrestling works, but as a friend said to me recently "only the Chinese could take wrestling and make it a non functional TMA"
    Sometimes I don't understand why people get so upset with you....yes you can be a D!ck...but you really call it like it is
    BQ

Chen for 10 years too
    Yeah I love it.....Tai Chi / Baqua / Hsingi / Iron Bone....that's all I do anymore, I figure that's all I need to keep me busy at my age. Really have a lot of respect for Dale & Dr. Painter Too.
    BQ

Sometimes I don't understand why people get so upset with you....yes you can be a D!ck...but you really call it like it is
    BQ
    one bolded answers the other

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    Does anybody have any stories, info, footage, or winners lists from these tournaments held?
    I have heard there were fights between different Kung Fu styles and even fights with Thai Boxers that were all full contact and got quite bloody at times.

I think Master Chan Sau Chung produced some fighters that won in those events.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Just so happens I spoke to my sifu about this subject, just last week. He said not as many fighters attended this event as you may think. He said yes there were some schools there and some Thai Boxers, but, not the level of experience you would expect to see at a event of that size.

He used an actor winning one yr as proof the competition was not the greatest in his opinion.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post

He used an actor winning one yr as proof the competition was not the greatest in his opinion.
    the "actor" he is talking about was a professional fighter in Asia, winning fights in Japan and Thailand as well, he became an actor AFTER being a fighter!

Question

the "actor" he is talking about was a professional fighter in Asia, winning fights in Japan and Thailand as well, he became an actor AFTER being a fighter!
    I assume you're speaking of Chan Sau Chung's student?

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)