Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The All South East Asian Full Contact Fights from the late 50's, 60's and 70's.

If I'm not mistaken the actor was Chen Kuan Tai.

He always looked like he knew what he was doing in the movies that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the "actor" he is talking about was a professional fighter in Asia, winning fights in Japan and Thailand as well, he became an actor AFTER being a fighter!
    chen kwan tai's my favorite.

remember my first (and only) time trying to do push hands in a tournament in the states (had done it in japan a bit with a sister school).
    i got matched up with a friend of mine from the shuai chiao school, with a lot of height and reach on me.
    when i found out it was fixed foot position, i was like "wtf ?"
    he won the match by blasting me with palm strikes in my chest, while i was stuck outside of my range.
    i kept looking at the judge to do something.
    kinda lost my cool afterward, but once i calmed down i realized that it wasn't really a game i wanted to get good at.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post

I don't get the feeling he was too impressed with his skill. I'm not trying to start a debate over it, It's just the feeling I got from him. He knows Chan Sau Chung and according to him my sigung knew Kan Tak Hoi. Apparently Kan Tok Hoi was very much the real deal and Chan Sau Chung while he moves good, his skill level is no where near that of his sifu.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

the label "internal" was the worst thing to ever happen to those arts, because in practice their techniques are good striking and good grappling, but since they seldom train realistically anymore, much of it is being lost (or is lost totally)
    it was an attempt by some of the folks at the end of the 19th cen. to carve out a niche for a more "gentlemanly" practice of kung fu (Yang Lu Chan, Sun Lu Tang, etc. - although not to say that they couldn't fight themselves...) - meaning that if you want upper-middle and royalty class peeps to come train with you (you know, the ones with the $$$), you have to sell them on the idea that they can learn to be whirlwinds of death without getting the trim of their robes soiled (hence, the gentrification of taiji by Mr. Yang: stomping, low spinning sweeps, stomping kicks and fine details that would relate to actual trapping range skill - all buh-bye); then, all you then have to do is come up with a series of arguments as to why a TRUE internal practitioner doesn't have to fight to prove his skill, and you're home free!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I agree that push hands SHOULD turn into clinch wrestling, I mean, why shouldn't it and how can it not in a functional way?
    if you check out my friend's school here, that's exactly what does happen:
    http://www.taichili.com/training_for...t_competit.htm

to me, much of Tai Chi is wrestling, we know wrestling works, but as a friend said to me recently "only the Chinese could take wrestling and make it a non functional TMA"
    if you look at "the form" from a grappling perspective, it starts to make a lot more sense...

I was thinking of Chan Wai Man, he won the second of those south east asian cups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0wfyACzCQ
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Does anybody have any stories, info, footage, or winners lists from these tournaments held?
    I have heard there were fights between different Kung Fu styles and even fights with Thai Boxers that were all full contact and got quite bloody at times.

I think Master Chan Sau Chung produced some fighters that won in those events.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    I want to interview sifu Tat Wong maybe get some article on these fights?

That would be hella sick.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I don't get the feeling he was too impressed with his skill. I'm not trying to start a debate over it, It's just the feeling I got from him. He knows Chan Sau Chung and according to him my sigung knew Kan Tak Hoi. Apparently Kan Tok Hoi was very much the real deal and Chan Sau Chung while he moves good, his skill level is no where near that of his sifu.

jeff

You sure know how to offend people don’t you. 99% Of the kung fu people out there study crap, and Chan Koon Tai was just an actor who happened to have won the fight – that proving the event wasn’t so good?

Your sifu should perhaps contact the TSPG guys in HK and Canada and tell them, what he thought about them. See how they react? You do know that the TSPG gym in HK still to this day produce some pro MT fighters. They also follow a very modern approach in fighting, not unlike many of the US gyms.

I met Chan Koon Tai, Lau Gar Fai and a few other Asian movie stars, and I must say, I was pretty intimidated by CKT’s presence. He’s definitely not just an actor.

Just btw, who is your sifu?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You sure know how to offend people don’t you. 99% Of the kung fu people out there study crap, and Chan Koon Tai was just an actor who happened to have won the fight – that proving the event wasn’t so good?

Your sifu should perhaps contact the TSPG guys in HK and Canada and tell them, what he thought about them. See how they react? You do know that the TSPG gym in HK still to this day produce some pro MT fighters. They also follow a very modern approach in fighting, not unlike many of the US gyms.

I met Chan Koon Tai, Lau Gar Fai and a few other Asian movie stars, and I must say, I was pretty intimidated by CKT’s presence. He’s definitely not just an actor.

Just btw, who is your sifu?
    Eddie,

Let me say this...

I don't always post on this forum, but, I do read a lot of the post here. I've always respected your post and have never had a problem with you. I might not always use the right words or get across the point I was trying to make, I'm Human I make mistakes...It seems all you want to do is nit pick and point out negative or what you take as negative attacks. There are many ways to take a post since you can't always tell intent from words on a page.

The fact that you look to go negative in everything I post might just show you have problems with how you see the world. I said that Chan Sau Chung didn't move as well as his sifu, that was someones opinion. I'm sure Chan Sau Chung would more than likely say the same himself. My sifu while amazing to those who know him admits he is not 1% of what his sifu Grandmaster Wong Cheung was.

I wrote a few peoples opinion... every person has an opinion be it justified or not. I mentioned what my sifu said I never mentioned the persons name or style. You assumed I was talking about a student of Chan Sau Chung like many. I don't know how many people were actors that competed just from the post here I'd say there were more than one.

You need to ask questions before you assume or jump on the negative band wagon all the time with my post. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Chan Sau Chung and have admitted that on this and many other forums across the net. If you feel that I'm wrong in my using percentages...why not spend more time proving me wrong than just starting petty arguments?!?!

Or better yet bring something useful to the table...

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Chen Bing

here is some video of chen style sifu chen bing at a mma gym doing clich work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25XHzlZu9Q

You definatly don't see this in most taiji practice
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    here is some video of chen style sifu chen bing at a mma gym doing clich work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25XHzlZu9Q

You definatly don't see this in most taiji practice
    can view at the gym but if it is the footage shot in a cage, yup, not your typical tai chi (but yet probably how it was originally done!)

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

can view at the gym but if it is the footage shot in a cage, yup, not your typical tai chi (but yet probably how it was originally done!)
    yup; basically how to grapple / throw in the clinch: meaning that, like pretty much everything else, taiji emphasizes certain skill sets over others; end of story

Taai Gihk Yaan

YOUR the best

I am still not 100% convinced that Taiji is more a "grappling based" system...

It lacks the typical grappling based training methods, I mean, outside of Push hands, what grappling drills do you have in Taiji?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I am still not 100% convinced that Taiji is more a "grappling based" system...

It lacks the typical grappling based training methods, I mean, outside of Push hands, what grappling drills do you have in Taiji?
    but in chen village, the way they do push hands is teh way wrestlers wrestle (wreally)

but more like Greco Roman, very upright, as opposed to free style

but in chen village, the way they do push hands is teh way wrestlers wrestle (wreally)

but more like Greco Roman, very upright, as opposed to free style
    I know, but that is only ONE drill of many. plus the core of Taiji is the forms, not somethign typical of grappling systems where the core is, well, grappling.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !