Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How real traditional kung fu was taught?

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I train Black Tiger we are very aggressive and never really use kicks above the waist. We attack the legs relentlessly while striking and we rarely take steps backwards. We attack in coming attacks so speed and power is of the impotence. In Black Tiger defense is offense so we block by striking very rarely will you see an attempt to block. Once we commit to attack we don't play that strike and wait game, we keep coming.

jeff
    Yeah i understand your points and do like them. I hope you don't mind but you couldn't give me your opinion on the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmmcgocSmWI

I would consider the Hung gar guy's approach traditional and to me it does not look like kickboxing, what do you think of his approach and how effective or uneffective is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin of Old View Post
    Yeah i understand your points and do like them. I hope you don't mind but you couldn't give me your opinion on the following video:

I would consider the Hung gar guy's approach traditional and to me it does not look like kickboxing, what do you think of his approach and how effective or uneffective is it?
    This is what happens when you think your Sifu is a god and subconsciously refrain from hitting him.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

why do manies peopl ein noth america obsess about lineegge and history?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Well, I've heard a lot about sifu Albright...from people I trust they say he is the real deal. The video shows me two things right away. There is definately a huge skill and experience gap and the guy with the sash although clearly overmatched his attacks are half assed.

He's trying to be something... i'm not sure if it's traditional or what. At times in the video it looks as if he's trying to fight using a form. He definately thinks too much and is not fighting natural. He telegraphs all of his attacks and is unsure of his attacks.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    There are many reasons for this, but usually it's a way to legitimize that they are learning the real deal.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

We like stories.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

the "master" there looks so arrogant
    with his hands behind his back trying to be like some movie he's pathetic

i'd own both of those guys, at the same time.
    i'm not exagerating, their method is flawed it looks stiff and uncoordinated, i dont know what the crane guy was doing when he was walking about backwards and forwards side to side like a duck for no reason.

anyone with a good jab cross would have them on the floor.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Is what wong kiew kit doing right?
    no, he is not. that is all
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We like stories.
    stories with bewbies in them!

Hey Jeff, you should fly up and visit with me and Stanley one day!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

so people believe they have the best or the oldest. idk my lineage is all messed up. lineage isnt that important to me. its the people who teach you and their experience that mattter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The more you learn about CMA the more you realize you don't know. You hear and see so many different things... you don't know what is truth or fiction anymore. The more I train with my sifu, who is very traditional. The more I see the way we've come to visualize CMA and it's training methods are completely wrong.

In 99% of CMA schools the students are taught forms and very little time, if any, is spent on actual application. If any sparring is done, it's usually a badly taught half ass basic kick boxing method. Many people some how believe that learning this way is traditional and one day they will some how see everything clearly.
    If you are going to use percentages and claim it as fact, then you should make sure you have done the research. By saying 99% if the schools do it wrong, you make it seems like you think you are part of the 1% that does it right. Sure, we all think we have the real deal, and we all think we know the real stuff, but this type of arrogance is actually what is damaging the CMA.

When you look at today's kung fu schools you see two separate methods being taught. In the majority of schools you see the forms with little application, and then there's the schools that teach Sanshou. Of course then comes the debate on who's traditional the forms collectors or the sanshou people?
    San Shou can be taught separately without forms, and are still called CMA.

The truth of the matter is they're both traditional, but lacking in certain areas. In speaking with old timers from Hong Kong and China traditional CMA is Sanshou and forms taught together, but, only after you've learned some Sanshou to defend yourself. In today's CMA they openly teach you forms but offer no substance after you learn a form. Usually after learning one form you're pushed to start learning the next form and so on.

I have seen some “Traditional” that comes from Hong Kong and some parts of China that were just as bad, if not worse, than some of the stuff we find else where in the world. Its dangerous to assume that they had the right stuff back then (or there), where as we don’t have it now. Actually, its just plain foolish, and arrogant of you to even post such things.

[QUOTE=jmd161;927590]
    This brings up a question my sifu asked me.

" People want to make lots of money off teaching Chinese martial arts, but they choose to teach crap...Why Not teach the real thing and show it actually works and make even more money?"

Sure, your sifu is right, so that’s why MMA gyms are growing and most of the “Traditional” CMA schools are struggling to pay rent.

People should move away from this “Traditional” Vs “Modern way of thinking. We are living in 2009. Be serious!
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    We like stories.
    Not to mntion without lineage and history we may actually be called upon to prove our Kung-Fu through actual competition. That would be no good for anyone.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Not to mntion without lineage and history we may actually be called upon to prove our Kung-Fu through actual competition. That would be no good for anyone.
    Which, ironically, is how history and lineage came to be so important to begin with.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post

I like what you are saying here
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )