Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How real traditional kung fu was taught?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    you need to constantly test your stuff

if you are content with where you are now, you are actually moving backward

if you are content because in the past someone did something, well, it really means nothing

"MMA" is this incarnation of the cycle, but think back to the 60's when a bunch of Americans said "point sux" and created kickboxing, only to discover that Muay Thai is reall kickboxing.

Heck, go back to Maeda and the other Kodokan challenges, heck to the police college matches where PEOPLE DIED

in TCMA go back to the days of Lei Tai, when you had to put up or shut up. But that was over 100 years ago really
    Everything most "evolve", it must grow.
    EX:
    Having been exposed to kali I know do not teach any blocks that expose the inner part of the arm to possible knife cuts, which was something that never occured to me until I was exposed to Kali.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I agree

you need to constantly test your stuff

if you are content with where you are now, you are actually moving backward

if you are content because in the past someone did something, well, it really means nothing

"MMA" is this incarnation of the cycle, but think back to the 60's when a bunch of Americans said "point sux" and created kickboxing, only to discover that Muay Thai is reall kickboxing.

Heck, go back to Maeda and the other Kodokan challenges, heck to the police college matches where PEOPLE DIED

in TCMA go back to the days of Lei Tai, when you had to put up or shut up. But that was over 100 years ago really
    But- if this was historical China or Japan- you'd evolve a style- but you'd represent it with a slight name change to pay respect to your influences. For instance- you could say that you're doing Ross school Lama Pai. It'd still be considered LP- but it'd be recognized for your innovations. That's why there were so many styles of TMA- heck- Judo was called Kano Ju Jitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    But- if this was historical China or Japan- you'd evolve a style- but you'd represent it with a slight name change to pay respect to your influences. For instance- you could say that you're doing Ross school Lama Pai. It'd still be considered LP- but it'd be recognized for your innovations. That's why there were so many styles of TMA- heck- Judo was called Kano Ju Jitsu.
    I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone else

In Chinese my ranking certificates read
    "Si Jih Hao San Da Kyuhn Faat"

or

"Lion's Roar San Da System"

because obviously I didn't really create anything, I just codified and/or passed on stuff

But according to some people I don't know any kung fu and just teach glorified kickboxing
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thumbs up Cool

I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone else

In Chinese my ranking certificates read
    "Si Jih Hao San Da Kyuhn Faat"

or

"Lion's Roar San Da System"

because obviously I didn't really create anything, I just codified and/or passed on stuff

But according to some people I don't know any kung fu and just teach glorified kickboxing
    I don't care what the Canadians say, but "Lion's Roar San Da System" is a frigg'n cool name.

glorified kickboxer!
    please use the "official" acronym: GKK (Glorified Kickboxer Knucklehead)
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 04-06-2009 at 12:15 PM.

please use the "official" acronym: GKK (Glorified Kickboxer Knucklehead)
    YOUR right
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....