Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendation

Book recommendation

I've just read "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey " by Kennedy and Guo and think it should be required reading for anyone who either practices or is thinking of taking up a TCMA. It puts the TCMA into a solid historical and cultural perspective, dispels many of the myths associated with TCMA and explains when and how they arose in the first place (for example, how Shaolin had nothing really to do with martial art development in China), and so on. A word of caution: this book isn't for larpers.

It can be found on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martia...8947485&sr=8-1

or previewed on Google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=L5F...esult&resnum=4

If you read it and recommended it I'm going to order a copy.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Oh yeah, I skimmed through this at the local bookstore a little while back. I have a couple of the texts they show in the book.

this book isn't for larpers
    I'm more of a pak'er and a garn'er, so I guess I'm permitted to buy it.

What is a larper, anyway?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I'm more of a pak'er and a garn'er, so I guess I'm permitted to buy it.

What is a larper, anyway?
    LARPer is Live Action Role PlayER.

I looked at the book and found it interesting. But could not take it serious as historical research or a legitimate "survey" as it claims. As it provided no evidence for it's premise. IE... no references, no citations, no bibliography, nada.

Sorry, this book maybe a good read and provide interesting points, but it is not a myth buster.

Here's a review from amazon.com

However, the book presents itself as almost academic, and in this aspiration it falls on its face. The call for scholarship in martial arts writing is well received by this reader, but the authors do not set an inspiring example. One glaring omission is the complete lack of citation. There is not even a bibliography, despite the fact that the bulk of the work is a series of book reviews. This lack of citation is frustrating for one who would be interested in further inquiry. The presentation therefore fails as academic, and rests in the "wanna-be" category. Better editing -- in English and in ESPECIALLY IN THEIR USE OF PINYIN -- would also help this otherwise rare example of a commendable book on this fantastic subject.
    Last edited by duende; 04-05-2009 at 05:32 PM.

LARPer is Live Action Role PlayER.
    I play the role of a responsible adult at work, and that's live, I guess.

Your post was interesting until you decided to be a smarta$$ with the larper comment BTW. It makes you sound like Basil Fawlty in the Gourmet Night episode, where he puts "No Riff-Raff!" on the flyer advertising the night.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    I looked at the book and found it interesting. But could not take it serious as historical research or a legitimate "survey" as it claims. As it provided no evidence for it's premise. IE... no references, no citations, no bibliography, nada.

Sorry, this book maybe a good read and provide interesting points, but it is not a myth buster.
    It's true that the book doesn't footnote its references (though it does mention in the text the scholarly sources it is drawing from). For example, it references the chinese scholarly works that refute the Shaolin myth.

Here's a review from amazon.com

However, the book presents itself as almost academic, and in this aspiration it falls on its face. The call for scholarship in martial arts writing is well received by this reader, but the authors do not set an inspiring example. One glaring omission is the complete lack of citation. There is not even a bibliography, despite the fact that the bulk of the work is a series of book reviews. This lack of citation is frustrating for one who would be interested in further inquiry. The presentation therefore fails as academic, and rests in the "wanna-be" category. Better editing -- in English and in ESPECIALLY IN THEIR USE OF PINYIN -- would also help this otherwise rare example of a commendable book on this fantastic subject.
    I see the book itself not as a scholarly treatise, but more as a sourcebook that references the scholarly work already done (in China) and compiles their findings. As such, it can direct you to the specific chinese source.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    I play the role of a responsible adult at work, and that's live, I guess.

Your post was interesting until you decided to be a smarta$$ with the larper comment BTW. It makes you sound like Basil Fawlty in the Gourmet Night episode, where he puts "No Riff-Raff!" on the flyer advertising the night.
    As you seem to be someone who spends most of his postings making smartass jibes -- like this one -- I guess you feel that I somehow infringed on your action.

As you seem to be someone who spends most of his postings making smartass jibes -- like this one -- I guess you feel that I somehow infringed on your action.
    Not really. THanks for your concern all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I've just read "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey " by Kennedy and Guo and think it should be required reading for anyone who either practices or is thinking of taking up a TCMA. It puts the TCMA into a solid historical and cultural perspective, dispels many of the myths associated with TCMA and explains when and how they arose in the first place (for example, how Shaolin had nothing really to do with martial art development in China), and so on. A word of caution: this book isn't for larpers.

It can be found on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martia...8947485&sr=8-1

or previewed on Google books

http://books.google.com/books?id=L5F...esult&resnum=4
    I read that a whiel back on recommendation from David Ross, that sactimonious chi blaster.
    I concur, its a great read.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

when your sources are primary documents that neither have ISBN information nor are housed in an established, recognized academic institution then you can not cite in the traditional format

For example, the initial literature on the dead sea scrolls. There are no other copies, they weren't housed in a location you could refer to (ie no box and ailse number, etc)

If you found an original letter of St Paul in the dessert, you certainly could write about it, but how would YOU footnote it?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    when your sources are primary documents that neither have ISBN information nor are housed in an established, recognized academic institution then you can not cite in the traditional format

For example, the initial literature on the dead sea scrolls. There are no other copies, they weren't housed in a location you could refer to (ie no box and ailse number, etc)

If you found an original letter of St Paul in the dessert, you certainly could write about it, but how would YOU footnote it?
    A valid point.
    If I recall, Brian mentioned the names of many, many MA and the books they wrote and where he got a vast majority of the info.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A valid point.
    If I recall, Brian mentioned the names of many, many MA and the books they wrote and where he got a vast majority of the info.
    Yes, Brian, not surprisingly, used teh CORRECT CITATION METHOD for the sources he was using

IE, no ISBN or box/isle/container references then you say "Mr Wong in 1923 in Shanghai self published the mantis boxing book called...."

Really, newbies should not make criticisms on things they don't understand or don't have training in
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Really, newbies should not make criticisms on things they don't understand or don't have training in
    If that were the case, this forum would be very quiet.