Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical and Mental Toughness

Physical and Mental Toughness

How much of an emphasis would you, as a teacher, sihing, or whatnot, put on physical and mental toughness?

What training methods do you utilize, to develop these attributes?

How far do you think you or your students could push yourselves, if ever required to?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    How much of an emphasis would you, as a teacher, sihing, or whatnot, put on physical and mental toughness?

How far do you think you or your students could push yourselves, if ever required to?
    1. Most

2. Many methods

3. As far as we can or we need to.

Physical and mental toughness walk hand in hand. If I want to demonstrate it readily, then it is time for a 5 mile run. If you are not a runner, you will hit the wall fast. Physical and mental toughness walk together when you push through those barriers towards your goal whatever it may be (finishing a drill set, lifting that new weight limit, doing those plyometric sets, getting through sparring, etc etc etc.

Training modes are myriad for setting up a level of physical and mental toughness. The key is to find the gate that is closed, and then work on opening it. Focus.

How far you can push yourself is an unknown until you do it. How far someone else can push themselves is a total unknown, unless you've witnessed some other example of them doing it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No one else?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sam jien kuen, and other body impact/toughening drills. from day one, the student is conditioning to impact, starting off gradually, and increasing as he develops. SWe also do body kicks, leg kicks, and we run a gauntlet with the student walking between a double row of students, who fire round kicks to the body as he walks through.Beginners actually like this drill.

One of the biggest issues with beginners is understanding the difference between "getting hit," and "getting hurt." We also change the dialogue, using the term, 'tagged," rather than hit.
    "You got tagged good" rather than "You got hit hard."

It's like Dentists. They use different wording:

"You're going to feel a little pinch" means,"I'm going to jab you with this longa$$ needle"

"you will experience some discomfort" means, "It's gonna hurt like a sumbich."

"Doing fine" means absolutely nothing, or stfu

"Almost there" again, it means absolutely nothing, or stfu
    Last edited by TenTigers; 04-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post

For my 2nd dan BB in kyokushin I had to fight, full contact, no pads, 30 fighters, 2 min each.
    It was a nice blend too, but the last ones were the lower rankers that, because one is so exhausted, get to tkae all the free shots that they can on you.
    They loved every minute of it !
    *******s.
    For my TKD BB, and 2nd and 3rd, it was almsot the same, but it was 3 min of full contact with 3 ( 1st degree), 4 (2nd) and 5(3rd) seperate BB, doen at the end of teaching a 90 min class, and after an hour of grading and followed by multiple breaking tests.

Mental toughness is a "given" in a system like kyokushin or old school TKD, much like many of those closed door sessions in SHotokan or Judo...
    Ah the stories I could tell, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sleep deprivation, physical exhaustion, high amount of mental stress, too many tasks and not enough time. This works.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Sleep deprivation, physical exhaustion, high amount of mental stress, too many tasks and not enough time. This works.
    Yeah it works to instill groupthink! lol

This is typical of US army training methods isn't it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

This is typical of US army training methods isn't it?
    He11, that's typical of a normal WEEK in my world.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    He11, that's typical of a normal WEEK in my world.
    working mom? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm not sure I want to imagine Taryn adding children into her apparently already-stressed-to-hell life....
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Regardless of the instructor, each individual student's goals should be taken into account.
    If they are training for the purpose of becoming an ultimate bad-ass, then yes, there should be ALOT of emphasis put on physical and mental conditioning.
    A student who is simply training for exercise or as a fun hobby, on the other hand, is not going to require much of that sort of training in order to enjoy the results of their practice. And plus, they likely won't be interested in a school or instructor that has a static schedule of conditioning that all students are expected to partake in.
    Heck, this isn't even taking into account the vast variations in training methods. Some of which are more attractive to certain kinds of people.
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmek View Post
    I'm not sure I want to imagine Taryn adding children into her apparently already-stressed-to-hell life....
    Ha, if you don't have kids you have no idea of stress !
    LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ha, if you don't have kids you have no idea of stress !
    LOL !
    Oh, I got the idea; that's why I elected to not have any!

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmek View Post
    Heh... can you picture me doing Leopard Three with a baby bjorn harnessed to my chest?

Bung bo would snap the kid's neck for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    Oh, I got the idea; that's why I elected to not have any!
    Wise call.