Thread: Some questions for Sifu Ross

Some questions for Sifu Ross

Just because I'm a nosey ******* and in the 11 years I've been registered here I've always enjoyed reading your take on things....I seldom post but thought I'd de-lurk for a little.

I've been following with a lot of interest your views on the state of TCM in general (I was going to say 'these days, but I don't think things have really changed at all).

How much does your present day teaching resemble the way Chan Tai San taught you back in the day? From your writings he sounded like an amazing fellow and one not prone to bull$hit (unless it suited him). Would you say his teachings are well reflected in your own, technically as well as philosophically?

From your website, you don't appear to teach Lama Pai anymore as a "traditional" system. What brought you to that decision?

Do you have any interest in still practising Lama/CLF forms?

Do you feel any sense of responsibility toward upholding any Lama Pai lineage?

Do you think kung fu (in general) has any less value than any other traditional non sportive Asian martial art in developing a base from which to learn a fighting art/sport?

I hope I haven't been too inquisitive and thank you in advance if you choose to answer. To everyone else reading, I have been on this board a long time - I just don't post much. I started training in 1978 and have never stopped - I am no newb, just someone who has been quietly realising that (for myself at least), TCM is in a rather sad state. I appreciate Dave's take on things and thought I'd pick his brains a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

How much does your present day teaching resemble the way Chan Tai San taught you back in the day? From your writings he sounded like an amazing fellow and one not prone to bull$hit (unless it suited him). Would you say his teachings are well reflected in your own, technically as well as philosophically?
    I've said this in the past, two things about CTS differentiate him from what me and what I do today

He did things as the "suited him". He was completely capable of teaching someone complete garbage if they were paying him to do it. He never tried to educate people. If they came to him with absurd notions but had the cash, he'd take the cash and give them something that fed their already existing ignorance

HE never challenged people to be different, to be better, to do something different. He beleive that you either got it, or you didn't. And that those who knew would spot the good, and those who didn't know what was good didn't matter

He was also unable to completely escape much of the trappings of TCMA. He hated a lot of the BS, but he'd then turn around and be part of the same BS. When he talked to us about fighting, and especially those he took seriously as students, he showed certain things. He told us other things would never work. Yet, he'd turn around and teach forms with those things in them. In fact, often things in forms were there "just for show" and he'd say that.

From your website, you don't appear to teach Lama Pai anymore as a "traditional" system. What brought you to that decision?
    I have a mission statement, and it is to develop every student to their full potential. Some may be world champions, others may just want to lose a few pounds and never get hit. That's ok, but I challenge everyone to be their personal best

But I also strive to constantly improve myself as a teacher, to improve my methods and my program.

The way I teach is the way that I get the most efficient results. I"m not interested in doing something just because that's the way they did it 100 years ago or because that's what everyone else is doing. My only criteria is results. That's why I also don't limit myself to just TCMA

Do you have any interest in still practising Lama/CLF forms?
    I've taught forms to a few who were interested. I am probably going to pass on a few to Lama Pai Sifu's students.

Right now a few of my advanced students are learning how to FIGHT with the staff. I've linked techniques together so they are sort of doing forms, but I am only showing them the moves that really work, ie no fancy bows or the "show moves"

Do you feel any sense of responsibility toward upholding any Lama Pai lineage?
    I believe that being able to FIGHT upholds the Lama Pai lineage. Wong Yan Lam, our dai si gung was first, foremost, and totally a FIGHTER

Last weekend, a few of Lama pai Sifu's students fought for the first time. San Da matches. For about 5 weeks I gave them some pointers and helped them training by letting them work with a few of my students. When they punched, knee'ed, kicked and threw people in the ring last weekend, I knew CTS was somewhere smiling. I know that if he were alive, Wong Yan Lam would be working the corner
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply. What you say about CTS unable to completely escape the TCMA quagmire really rings true and is one the main "issues" I've been trying to deal with with my own teachers back in Singapore. I know what the bull$hit is. They know what the bull$hit is. But going beyond that.....it's just not putting us in a comfortable place. If I ever get to the US and New York I'll be sure to pop in and say g'day.

Thanks again

not to get overly philosophical here, but Buddhism does teach us that people are attached to things that have no consequence. It's hard to just let go
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....