Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of Sifu David Ross's san da dvd

Review of Sifu David Ross's san da dvd

I own Sifu David Ross's san da dvd #2 with the thai pad work on it.

I've read the other reviews of it but I'm not quite on the same page with them.

From what is written on these forums about how bad TCMA are I expected to see some of this realistic training that all the mmaers are always talking about. The dvd contains exercises that are done at TCMA schools. I'm confused. Were these drills the alive training that was bragged about because it's the same exact stuff. For real for real. Perhaps pad work is limited in what can be done but at my school we've been doing different kinds of pad drills, similar to the ones on the dvd, for years. The only difference was that in the dvd they were all wearing huge boxing gloves instead of the smaller gloves that we tend to use(mma type probably).

There was one interesting concept of using the pads in a more alive fashion by putting them up randomly and having the person it it with jab, cross, hook or uppercut. This included circling with the pad holder.

There was a section on throwing elbows which I thought was kind of basic. The drill was you stop the jab and then elbow with your other arm or elbow with the same arm that blocked the jab.

Maybe this was a beginners dvd because it felt very basic. Recommended for beginners only.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I own Sifu David Ross's san da dvd #2 with the thai pad work on it.

I've read the other reviews of it but I'm not quite on the same page with them.

From what is written on these forums about how bad TCMA are I expected to see some of this realistic training that all the mmaers are always talking about. The dvd contains exercises that are done at TCMA schools. I'm confused. Were these drills the alive training that was bragged about because it's the same exact stuff. For real for real. Perhaps pad work is limited in what can be done but at my school we've been doing different kinds of pad drills, similar to the ones on the dvd, for years. The only difference was that in the dvd they were all wearing huge boxing gloves instead of the smaller gloves that we tend to use(mma type probably).

There was one interesting concept of using the pads in a more alive fashion by putting them up randomly and having the person it it with jab, cross, hook or uppercut. This included circling with the pad holder.

There was a section on throwing elbows which I thought was kind of basic. The drill was you stop the jab and then elbow with your other arm or elbow with the same arm that blocked the jab.

Maybe this was a beginners dvd because it felt very basic. Recommended for beginners only.
    They are pad drills bro, what did you expect to see ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I ripped the hearts out of my thai pads long ago.
    They are no longer alive and I just beat them as if they were dead horses.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I eat Pad Thais for breakfast

(actually tea and toast or cereal)

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They are pad drills bro, what did you expect to see ??
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think it is pretty obvious he wanted to say something negative and just got the tape hoping to find something. He probably just fast forwarded through the disc, since he doesn't seem to realize there are elbow counters to the "basic 4" in there, and elbow strike DEFENSE, etc that he doesn't seem to realize are in there....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I have to say, this was my favorite part!

at my school we've been doing different kinds of pad drills, similar to the ones on the dvd, for years.
    so you've been doing pad work for "years"

but you aren't familiar with doing them randomly, or with movement?

uh, ok

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

is this the one where the camera guys keeps filming the two asian chicks doing pad work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    is this the one where the camera guys keeps filming the two asian chicks doing pad work?
    I don't think so, I think he has part 2 of the three volume "kickboxing structure" DVD set

The one with the famous "asian chicks" is the first DVD

yeah i just watch the first one
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    yeah i just watch the first one
    What? You didn't buy the all girl Shaolin Jello (tm) Jiu Jitsu tape yet

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Now you got my attention !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

wait wait wait. you might have a selling point on me now

I don't think so, I think he has part 2 of the three volume "kickboxing structure" DVD set

The one with the famous "asian chicks" is the first DVD
    I have this one. The DVD is almost worn out...
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I have this one. The DVD is almost worn out...
    no doubt because you needed to watch all that beginner stuff over and over again

I was actually giving EVERYONE in the video corrections until I realized it wasn't a two way video and they couldn't hear me.

Then I continued on my form #56 to work on my anti-grappling moves.
    A unique snowflake