Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Warrior

Deadliest Warrior

Chuck Liddell can punch a cow in half, and he still wants spikes or a blade on his fist.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Who doesn't want spikes on their fist?

It's total Wolverine. We like spikes.

Yao Sing, I'm guessing you're refering to the new Spike show that debuted April 7. I didn't watch it, but I'll probably check out the episode when they match the Shaolin monk versus the Cannibal. The contacted me about that several times (even asked me for a demo reel!) but it was too bizarre, even for me.

'Deadliest Warrior': Your imaginary fights come to life
    By Whitney Matheson

Who'd win in a fight: a Viking or a Samurai? What about a pirate vs. a knight? Or a ninja vs. a Spartan?

These sound like the kinds of questions posed around 2 a.m. when the bar is about to close. They also sound like the premise for a new series on the Spike network.

Each episode of Deadliest Warrior, premiering Tuesday on Spike, "pits two of the most feared warriors civilization has ever known against each other." Series regulars include a biomedical engineer who collects technical data during each fight, a doctor who "analyzes the lethal potential" of the battles and a "computer ****" who runs simulations of the matchups.

The whole thing is a weird blend of high-tech gadgetry, bloody warrior showmanship and pure fantasy. The result could either be fascinating or terrible, but at least they're trying something new.

Watch the premiere April 7 at 10 p.m. ET. All of the matchups I mentioned in the first paragraph are actual episodes, though the first ep pairs a gladiator against an Apache. Wow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Yao Sing, I'm guessing you're refering to the new Spike show that debuted April 7. I didn't watch it, but I'll probably check out the episode when they match the Shaolin monk versus the Cannibal. The contacted me about that several times (even asked me for a demo reel!) but it was too bizarre, even for me.
    Now, that sounds cool.
    Not sure how well it can be done, but its for entertainment so its all good !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

BEAT me to it

I was going to make a thread later on as I caught the first episode a couple of times.

Interesting premise but I'm not sure how they came up with the warrior pairs.
    I can't wait to see the samurai in action on the next one.

Yep, Chuck could be considered a gladiator..
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

From what I have read, the show blew it on the first episode - Apache VS Gladiator- with the Apache winning because he uses a Bow and Arrow.
    I don't know if this is correct, BUT if it is, that is just silly.
    IF they are going to do it that way then, obviously, SNIPER beats ALL.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

They need to have the pirate fight the ninja. About those blades, they look more fantasy in origin than a traditional weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    From what I have read, the show blew it on the first episode - Apache VS Gladiator- with the Apache winning because he uses a Bow and Arrow.
    I don't know if this is correct, BUT if it is, that is just silly.
    IF they are going to do it that way then, obviously, SNIPER beats ALL.
    The show was cool. I saw it. They gave the edge to the apache because of their stealth tactics (ala special forces), long-range bow, and their skill at throwing the tomahawk. Also, they showed how horse-jaw axes can basically brain you when hit from behind.

The gladiator got props for being a killing machine and more adept at hand-to-hand death dealing, and for having more deadly close-range skills.

The idea was that the apache would most likely sneak up and hit the gladiator from outside his weapon range.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

They need to have the pirate fight the ninja

I feel ya on that, RonH. When I first saw the treatment, the pirate and ninja were pitted against different warriors and all I could think was 'these guys haven't done their research at all.'

It got worse when they showed me what they had planned for the Shaolin monk. I was contacted by a series of different representatives and I gave each one advice. There was a lot of ambiguity if they were even going to credit me for my time and expertise, but I suspect they won't. That's ok. I doubt they'll take my advice either.

We'll see how the show fares. I don't get Spike. Hopefully someone here will be kind enough to give me a heads up when the Shaolin episode is online.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It'll probably be put up at surfthechannel or youku or that potato site.

I've watched the viking vs. samurai episode. I know it's for entertainment purposes, but I find the concept doesn't necessarily prove anything. Obviously there is no way to truly measure 'would've's or 'should've's. In the end, the samurai won, barely. In reality, I could see it either way.

The episode's samurai authority mentions about speed and precision and warrior's honor. I tend to believe that in mass combat, the samurai would not have shown such beautiful 'choreography'. Real combat, esp. when prolonged and on a battlefield, is not beautiful, it's chaotic. A lot of the philosophy seemed to take a much more prominent position from the 17th century to 1867 (Tokugawa period). Prior to that, I'm sure samurai were more pragmatic and concerned with winning in battle by whatever means necessary.

Once again, it's entertainment, and it's a Spike show, so there was the back-and-forth ribbing (which seemed only semi-good-natured) between the viking and samurai teams as to their relative superiority. For me, that got old real fast. They come across like obnoxious 12-year-olds debating who would win a fight between Superman or the Hulk. Plus the announcers saying "Whoa!" or "#%@*!" when the various weapons are used to demolish static targets, like they didn't expect the weapons to do damage.

They mention the main viking authority is a viking descendant, as the samurai authority is descended from samurai. Just because someone is a descendant of vikings or samurai doesn't make them a representative. There are millions of people on this planet descended from samurai and from vikings. I'm descended from samurai on my maternal side but that doesn't make me one.

Anyway, some will like it, but this show wasn't my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-14-2009 at 11:43 PM.

You don't need surfthechannel or youku or that potato site

The webisodes are available on the Spike site. I posted the link in my first post on this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Spike’s New Guilty Pleasure

Check out Deadliest Warrior on Spike it is really a cool show.

There may be some miscalculations and inaccuracies. I also would appreciate it if the teams representing each warrior group would refrain from trash talk. However it is such a cool and unusual concept that it is very enjoyable.

The results of the final winner is the warrior group that has the greatest total of wins in a 1000 death matches. The final fight is a representation of all those battles.

Here are the results and final fights of the last two episodes

Deadliest Warrior ep.1 p.6 Gladiator Vs. Apache
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7S4vWjRtAk

Deadliest Warrior Viking vs. Samurai THE FIGHT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAehwPJSyrA

the real question is should they let nerds who number crunch and never been in a fight, determine who is the better warriro
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

wow, that fight scene was well done. im quite impressed actually.

makes me wish i had cable tv for that show.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Just caught Gladiator vs. Apache. I love the concept of the show (I totally need a scissors). I love that the people representing each faction get so worked up.

As a side note I read on IMDB that the Apacher military trainer (Snake Blocker) just had a little son. 8 lbs 6 oz and named him (ock.

That is all.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.