Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Warrior

Deadliest Warrior: Shaolin Vs. Maori

Currently watching the new episode. What numb nut chose the Shaolin weapons, not to mention the practitioners?

Shaolin barely won. The scenario went like this:

* A lone shaolin monk is practicing Taiji (for some reason) in a clearing when he is challenged by a Maori warrior wielding a hardwood staff tipped with a green stone club. The Monk whips out a meteor hammer, but the Maori knocks it away like a baseball. The monk runs away like a b*tch.

* The monk then switches to a chain whip and does that pointless maneuver where you hop up and down on the ground and pass it underneath of you. The Maori just stands back and watches from a safe distance. After being disarmed, the monk runs away like a b*tch.

* The monk then switches to his waxwood staff, which is promptly shattered in half by the Maori. He once again runs away like a b*tch.

* The monk is finally able to disarm the Maori of his staff with twin hooks and even manages to slice his stomach. However, the Maori grabs a hand held green stone club and a paddle club lined with shark teeth and disarms him of the twin hooks.

* The monk resorts to emei piercers and wins by stabbing the Maori in the temple.

Overall, I was unimpressed with whole episode. You could tell the person who played the monk was a sport wushu practitioner. None of the moves they did (especially with the chain whip) would ever be effective in battle.

According to the computer simulations ran, the Shaolin monk won almost 700 of 1000 battles, while the Maori only won 300. The lead Maori proponent exclaimed "that's just what the computer says. The computer is probably Chinese!" That made me laugh. Even though I am a big fan of pre-modern Shaolin, I have to say that I personally would have given the edge to the Maori based on their performance. The Shaolin representatives were pitiful.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 05-20-2009 at 08:20 AM.

total BS - hands down, Maori wins every time: to wit, when they were fighting Brits at one point, the "urban legend" (via a Kiwi I once knew) is that when the Brits ran out of ammo, the Maori sold them more so that they could keep fighting!

yeah, I know, but it's a great story!

Hands down, this show is one of the dumbest on TV.

none can defeat....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMCAV6Yd0Y

except in the late rounds
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

The Maori win. Full stop. The Hairy Man could even kick Fedor's ass.

I love the haka, and watch them a couple of times a month. That youtube spiel is bull**** tho. Haka are and were performed for many reasons, not just before battle. As the translation to the lyrics of that one they use go too, that particular one's an ancestral chant, not a war haka. The war haka are badder-asser.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

That youtube spiel is bull**** tho. Haka are and were performed for many reasons, not just before battle
    i know.... just didn't feel like digging around for a better vid..... but thanks for pointing that out... should have made a disclaimer on the original post....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

The 12-year-old girl they got to represent Shaolin would have been massacred by the 250 + pound Polynesians representing the Maoris if they had actually fought.

It was entertaining! I thought the Shaolin guys looked a bit wimpy, and the Maoris looked a bit savage, but it was fun entertainment.

I probably would not have picked the Shaolin weapons they highlighted, perhaps choosing the double handed sword, spear, jian, maces, or other weapons instead.

i havnt watched this, but i they should have just had a spear fight.

all of the pictures i see of the Maori, they are wielding spears.

the spear is one of the traditional weapons of the chinese.

they seem to make very silly decisions on this show.

do they think shaolin monks carry an arsenal around with them at all times or something?

Likely he would just have a staff, or nothing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I agree, that show is ridiculous. I just saw the Mafia vs. Yakuza. Wow, they made the Yakuza look like some panzies.

The show

Now the show isn't perfect by any means but I do find it an interesting concept. Certain outcomes I did frown upon...as I had my money on the Yakuza. But part of the entertainment value for me is when the two sides are talking smack to each other. Some of the stuff they say is pretty funny.

That Maori sore loser made an interesting comment about the computer. The good humor part of me laughed but the Chinese part didn't care for it. What a dicotomy.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

As someone pointed out, I think it's stupid they use descendents instead of experts for the show. I too think its an entertaining show, although the trash talk brings the show down in my opinion.

I much more prefer Warriors with Terry Schappert. They actually use experts, who train in the styles of that particular warrior, and overall it just seems more historically accurate. (as far as weapons used and strategies etc) I like how they teach Terry how to use the weapons, and it's just a very interesting show without any trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    none can defeat....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMCAV6Yd0Y

except in the late rounds
    I have also seen these african gentlemen do these tribal dances before going into battle and performed as a ceremony type thing.

to me its laughable, and if i saw someone on the battlefield do that to me, i would aim my rifle/bow and fire. sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I recant my criticisms of Shaolin vs. Maori...

We sold out of knitting needles....errr, I mean emei piercers. We also saw a spike (pun intended) in Tiger Hook sales.

Let's see, the list they sent me included:
    Ring (wind and fire wheels)
    Meteor Hammer
    9 section chain whip
    Staff/cudgel
    Twin Tiger Hooks
    Emei Piercers (Judges’s Pen)

I still haven't seen the full episode
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart