Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had a student or your kung fu sibling

If you had a student or your kung fu sibling

was asked to do lion dance for chinese new year's and he said no, what would you do?

Nothing.

that's like, Give me $10...
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

well couldn't you ask to do it instead if you were that interested besides it is his/her decision after all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    get rid of him. Any student that is too selfish to support his Sifu or Si-Hings will spread his attitude like a cancer throughout your school. It may seem trivial, but it is an attitude, and it will manifest on other levels in time.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Before "getting rid of him", I think it might be useful to talk to him and determine why he didn't want to do it. There are a lot of possible reasons, some of which are not selfish.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

hy
    whats is important about lion dance? i relly dont know

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    get rid of him. Any student that is too selfish to support his Sifu or Si-Hings will spread his attitude like a cancer throughout your school. It may seem trivial, but it is an attitude, and it will manifest on other levels in time.
    Agreed....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hy
    whats is important about lion dance? i relly dont know
    LOL same here.

perhaps, it is a Guangdong regional thing?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Dude View Post
    was asked to do lion dance for chinese new year's and he said no, what would you do?
    I would remind myself, if I were the sifu of a school that is open to the public and accepts paying students, that this student is a customer who pays for a service your school provides to him and that, absent some kind of pre-existing agreement or understanding about the obligation of lion dancing, nothing should be done. Free world. You want all your students to lion dance, put it in the terms of the contract.

"Hey, I know you're paying me already to learn here but would you mind taking a day away from your family with no compensation to work hard all day.

If you're lucky they might explode some firecrackers on you, hurt your ears, cause a respiratory breakdown and the best part is that a gang fight might break out if we cross another lion so be sure to bring some weapons

hey, wait! come back! come back!"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I've never done a lion dance before. If I was asked to, I'd say no because I have no interest in ever doing it. There shouldn't be any kind of reprecussions. It's like asking your neighbor 'do you want to help me fix my car?'

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    "Hey, I know you're paying me already to learn here but would you mind taking a day away from your family with no compensation to work hard all day.

If you're lucky they might explode some firecrackers on you, hurt your ears, cause a respiratory breakdown and the best part is that a gang fight might break out if we cross another lion so be sure to bring some weapons

hey, wait! come back! come back!"
    Where's the problem? Sounds like the good ol' days to me...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I would remind myself, if I were the sifu of a school that is open to the public and accepts paying students, that this student is a customer who pays for a service your school provides to him and that, absent some kind of pre-existing agreement or understanding about the obligation of lion dancing, nothing should be done. Free world. You want all your students to lion dance, put it in the terms of the contract.
    I agree completely.

It's this 'old school' mentality that some of you have that keep you in the past. If you want to create compelling futures for yourselves, have the courage to leave the past where it belongs.....in the past.

Or, cut your students off because they decide not to play any 'lion dance games.'

You guys are silly. Are you a lion dance school? Did you agree before hand that you would require this of your students? Are you insulted because it's a tradition that YOU care about and they don't? Gimme a break you guys...

My sifu just paid us to dance out the money he received. If you danced, you got paid. If not...

This was on top of the food & drink he bought for us out of his pocket.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

No big deal.

Find someone else to do the dance if you wanna dance.
    Kung Fu is good for you.