Thread: throws, strikes, chin na

throws, strikes, chin na

Okay, so all kung fu styles have these. How much time per class do you spend on each individually(not counting conditioning time)?

For me, until my knee injury, it was about 75% throws, 15% strikes. Now it's 85% strikes, 15% helping less experienced guys work their throws.

And you?

Isent it all the same?

100%/100%

strike!

I run three 1hr technique classes with three "cardio" classes immediately after.
    Tuesday we focus on striking for 45min and spar Thai clinch.
    Thursday we focus on throws/takedowns for 45min and spar San Shou Randori.
    Thursday we do one or two rounds of fight drills and then spar for 6-8 rounds doing San Shou, San Da, and Thai.

However, following what Yenhoi has said, we often strike with takedowns in mind and takedown variables are often part of our 'random' drills. Likewise, our takedown/throw classes focus on takedowns with striking in mind and blend the two with striking variables mixed in. This, I've found through extensive trial and error, is the best way to run things for me.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    However, following what Yenhoi has said, we often strike with takedowns in mind and takedown variables are often part of our 'random' drills. Likewise, our takedown/throw classes focus on takedowns with striking in mind and blend the two with striking variables mixed in. This, I've found through extensive trial and error, is the best way to run things for me.
    True, true.

On many throws, especially ones I am just incorporating, I will actually focus more on being aware of and blending with an opponent's motion for a while, not because striking doesn't help, it helps a lot, but because I'm technically middle aged, and would like them to do their fair share of the work if they are going to enjoy the honor of being thrown by my exalted poobahness, so I want good instincts for catching them at the right time. Right now, a few throws I do keep striking in mind when executing, and others will fairly rapidly join them if the last few months have been any indication. Some, I prefer the non-striking variety.

Some throws I do well on, some are newer introductions in regards to how I've been practicing the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi View Post
    Isent it all the same?

100%/100%

I guess what I should have said is those things in context of two people responding to each other, even if one is only focusing on neutralization. Working instinct at distance and tingjing up close should be assumed to be implicit in the percent of practice being done, the potential for clinch(even if it is the "reset" point for those training to go back to how they start an exchange). Open options for footwork, light work for bad days, et al.

I apparently thought my original post had some deep subtext, if I expected that to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Okay, so all kung fu styles have these. How much time per class do you spend on each individually(not counting conditioning time)?

For me, until my knee injury, it was about 75% throws, 15% strikes. Now it's 85% strikes, 15% helping less experienced guys work their throws.

And you?

1 hour per week.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Oh yeah, and duration.

With work and school, usually about four hours, with about four hours bag work(10 three minute rounds with 30 second breaks 4 times a week) and two hours form work, in a week.

Right now, mostly down to two hours, with four hours light bagwork and no form until the leg recovers.

man you dont need any of that just.

SWEEP THE LEG!
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

qin na and shuai/throwing,

we need partners.

yes we may practice with poles or dummy

but a real person is indispensible, so the training time will be dependent on the availability of your training partner.

punches and kicks we may use bags and pads, dummies etc.

again it will be better with a training partner wearing protective gear or holding pads.

as far as importance

some would say qin na may be the beginning and the end of everything.

1 we start with qin na before strikes or throw

2. we may also end with qin na.

so every contact of forearms, or hand/wrist will turn into qin na and counter qin na etc.

long before we see a throw or strike.

my point is that qin na would take up 50% of the time.

timing and positioning etc are very important for qin na

or it is more strigent to make it work, thus more practice.

strikes 10%

throws 40% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    man you dont need any of that just.

SWEEP THE LEG!
    Yeah! Johnny. Sweep the leg
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    qin na and shuai/throwing,

we need partners.

yes we may practice with poles or dummy

but a real person is indispensible, so the training time will be dependent on the availability of your training partner.

punches and kicks we may use bags and pads, dummies etc.

again it will be better with a training partner wearing protective gear or holding pads.

as far as importance

some would say qin na may be the beginning and the end of everything.

1 we start with qin na before strikes or throw

2. we may also end with qin na.

so every contact of forearms, or hand/wrist will turn into qin na and counter qin na etc.

long before we see a throw or strike.

my point is that qin na would take up 50% of the time.

timing and positioning etc are very important for qin na

or it is more strigent to make it work, thus more practice.

strikes 10%

throws 40% of the time.

Chin na is important, yes. This is another area where the shades of grey define the practice. I tend to look at a lot of chin na as a transition as opposed to a restraint, so, right now, I work the chin na that transitions into strikes and throws, later I will focus on them as a restraining tool.