Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Baby here.

busted my ribs twice in the last 3 years. SUCKS.

be happy its not the dead of winter anymore i guess. that shiat sucks.

there is a phase that REALLY sucks, its the part where you return to regular/semi regular training but EVERYTHING you do still bothers the ribs. Good luck with that.

<insert evil smiley>

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    I was going for a punch, my opponent turned and threw a back kick. Since his leg is longer the my arm (heck his arm is longer than my arm), he connected first.
    well, i got the kick part right, just not the type.

no worries though because "this too shall pass"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

heheheh i'm 18 and my body defies injury

sucks to be you

eat lots of broccoli that **** has **** loads more calcium than milk
    at least you wont fall for that trick twice
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

You'll see...you'll see...just wait

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

sucks to be you

eat lots of broccoli that **** has **** loads more calcium than milk
    at least you wont fall for that trick twice

oh, you are in for a rude rude rude awakening there young hubris filled fella.

someone's gonna smack ya now.

It's a karma thing, so when it happens, just think of what you've written here and you'll understand why.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is why I like I like the idea of full contact sparring without full force.

Accidents happen though so even if it was half force full contact not much you can do.

Hope you heal up ok.

After catching a flying knee to the ribs this weekend from the guy who dropped me in January with another knee to the ribs, i was gonna say "suck it up".
    Unfortunately, while it didn't drop me this time & I soldiered through for another round and a half for our exhibition bout; I find myself in much the same boat now that the adrenaline's worn off.
    Twisted both my ankles in that bout as well (outdoors, on uneven ground) and have some nasty bruises.
    Taking the rest of the week off to heal up & get my motivation back.
    Getting old stinks.

I'm torn though.
    On one hand, I'm left with this distinct impression (from the other fighters at my gym) that I need to be sparring hard every workout in order to get better (my game was definitely off this weekend).
    On the other hand, this week is reminding me why I only bang hard once in a while - if you're too banged up, you can't train, if you can't train you're not going to be as good come fight time.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    After catching a flying knee to the ribs this weekend from the guy who dropped me in January with another knee to the ribs, i was gonna say "suck it up".
    Unfortunately, while it didn't drop me this time & I soldiered through for another round and a half for our exhibition bout; I find myself in much the same boat now that the adrenaline's worn off.
    Twisted both my ankles in that bout as well (outdoors, on uneven ground) and have some nasty bruises.
    Taking the rest of the week off to heal up & get my motivation back.
    Getting old stinks.

I'm torn though.
    On one hand, I'm left with this distinct impression (from the other fighters at my gym) that I need to be sparring hard every workout in order to get better (my game was definitely off this weekend).
    On the other hand, this week is reminding me why I only bang hard once in a while - if you're too banged up, you can't train, if you can't train you're not going to be as good come fight time.
    My sifu once said that to be good at fighting you must practice fighting -

of course when you fight you get hurt.

I don't train to be a fighter as some may - I like the health benifits ma offers and wish to practice into a rip old age.

injuries can prevent you from diong things when you get older and also healing time takes away from training time.

I hope that I could defend myself in a real world situation but I doubt I could hold up to a compitition for very long.

so I guess it depends on what your goals are.

Quote Originally Posted by sideslider View Post
    I don't train to be a fighter as some may - I like the health benifits ma offers and wish to practice into a rip old age.
    Ya know, that is actually my view these days. Matter of fact in tournaments I am slowly but surely transitioning into a forms dancer.

However, there is still that voice in the back of my head that wants me to get out there and mix it up. Such as the case last Friday.

A few of the instructors and some intermediate student put on some pads and was mixing it up. I sat in the sidelines watching. However, after 5mins. I found myself putting on gloves, shin pads and headgear yelling "I got next" 30min later I was on my way to urgent care.

2 day later I am posting this thread.

And now, no tournament for me on Sat. and I already paid.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

*snags a spot on the couch next to Al and asks him to pass the vicadin*
    Woke up not able to breathe around 5am this morning.
    Just got back from the ER.
    It's official, mine's cracked too.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

****! You guys is busted up right good!
    Gives me all the more faith in my love for body shots.
    I love me some spinning back kicks.
    A unique snowflake

People get a skewed view of fighting by watching movies where people are taking an insane amount of body and head shots and are hopping right back up with vim and vigor. Fact is, you could end up permanently injured after your first match and never be able to train again. Is it worth it? Supervision helps, of course, but sometimes these things happen very fast.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I'll get back to light workouts next week (mostly cardio and shadowboxing).
    Will slowly ramp up the intensity after that; should be close to normal intensity by the 1 month point.
    I doubt that this will put July out of reach for me, but I'm pretty sure I could've hit a higher athletic peak by July if this hadn't happened.
    That being said, I think it's a bad idea to put my body in anymore significant risk before July - doubt I'll be 100% by May 16 & the June event is out of the question.
    Priority's gotta be on building up my technique, speed, explosiveness, strength, endurance, timing (via drills), and balance.

I'm gonna have to stand by my earlier statements:
    Day-to-day sparring should be controlled and always with a purpose in mind.
    Hard sparring is a once-in-a-while thing.
    Yeah, fighting hurts - but if you're injured you can't train.

July's definitely my last hurrah.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I doubt that this will put July out of reach for me, but I'm pretty sure I could've hit a higher athletic peak by July if this hadn't happened.
    That being said, I think it's a bad idea to put my body in anymore significant risk before July - doubt I'll be 100% by May 16 & the June event is out of the question.
    Priority's gotta be on building up my technique, speed, explosiveness, strength, endurance, timing (via drills), and balance.

I'm gonna have to stand by my earlier statements:
    Day-to-day sparring should be controlled and always with a purpose in mind.
    Hard sparring is a once-in-a-while thing.
    Yeah, fighting hurts - but if you're injured you can't train.

July's definitely my last hurrah.

Yeah me too.

I will definitely be at Kung Fu legends. No sanda for me though Just forms and continious sparring. I will still do the open tournaments in May and June though.

I was telling a student who is doing Sanda. No more hard sparring in June. Lot of conditioning and drills but we have to minimize the likelyhood of injuries if he want to compete.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.