Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vids from meet: 375 squat and 270 bench at 148 (total 1000)

Hey GDA, stop all the weightlifting! d00d u r gonna get all hyooge like arnold shwartzinager and all that muscles will make u so slow! weightlifting is bad for ur martial arts don't u know kung fu masters don't lift weights because it makes u slow!! punch with your tendons! don't use your muscles it makes u too slow!!1!1!!oneone!
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

PHP Code:
    if this isn't a troll im not sure what to say. we'll pretend for a minute that you happen to be more uninformed than antagonisticbefore i started school i did kung fu for about five years or so and then jujitsu (with a little judo and very minimal boxing) for about 2 and a halfwhen i got serious about weight training my performance on the matt improved exponentiallymy striking was also augmented by added strengthof course there's no replacement for good technique, but i've never met a guy who's striking suffered from getting strong. 
    troll this troll that, maybe i was a little antagonistic, sorry, but we have can have an honest discussion about our differing opinions right?

i have nothing against getting strong, my beef is with conventional weightlifting, in gyms, using isolated movements, like the bench press, where most people are building shoulder and pec strength for that isolated range of motion while on your back, could you move the same amount of weight if you were standing, or holding someone down? how safe is the bench press on the wrists and joints? my training focuses not only on muslce but on connective tissue, and joints. How many people do you know with weighlifting injuries? especially guys in there 40’s?, i know a lot.

I believe if your strengthing your chest to deliver power you must also strengthen the wrist, the point at which all that power is released. I have never seen one person dong wrist or grip strength in gym settings,

PHP Code:
    also most bodybuilders worth a **** are also very strong and athletic
    They might look it but i dont beleive they can deliver on all that power they have, because of the way they have trained in isolation, the pec or bicep muscle has no way to send its power through the bodies chain of joints and connective tissue and most power is lost in transit.

My belief is you must train the body as a whole(not so much total number of muscle fibers used), like lifting a heavy object from the ground to overhead, you employ many many muslce groups, from your head to your toes, as you also do by walking while bear hugging a heavy object, dont beleive this crazy troll , go try it, home depot sells a 50 lb mason sandbag in a burlap bag for less than five bucks, that simulates a lot in the arts you study, by lifting up someone, or tossing them to the ground, the bench press might give nice shape to your pecs but you can generate a whole new world of force by, say, pushing a truck in neutral

so congrats on the lift, didnt mean to be antagonistic, thought this thread would be a good place to debate differing theories, look foward to your retort
    peace
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Howsabout you start a different thread?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post

i have nothing against getting strong, my beef is with conventional weightlifting, in gyms, using isolated movements, like the bench press . . .
    calling the bench press an isolation movement is really a stretch, but you're also completely ignoring squats, deads, overhead presses, chins, dips, rows, etc. all of these lifts are compound movements designed for functional strength. there is certainly a difference between real world strength and gym strength, but these movements provide a tremendous amount of carry over and application.

how safe is the bench press on the wrists and joints?
    very safe on the wrists. the bar should lay across the palm of your hand and be supported by your forearms at 90 degree angles. the wrist will be compressed, but there should be no extension strain what so ever. shoulders are normally the problem, and the risk can be reduced significantly by keeping the shoulders back and the back arched. of course one could still experience problems after long term use and abuse, but there are risks one accepts in any sport.

How many people do you know with weighlifting injuries? especially guys in there 40’s?, i know a lot.
    very few, and i bet i know more lifters than you. in fact i just watched a guy in his 60s bench over 4 plates at the same meet.

I believe if your strengthing your chest to deliver power you must also strengthen the wrist, the point at which all that power is released. I have never seen one person dong wrist or grip strength in gym settings,
    grip strength is developed as much as it needs to be for the sport of powerlifting through deadlifts. lifters are not known for notoriously strong grips, and its because it's not required above whats needed for deadlifting. that said, the powerlifters i know who actually do focus on grip work excel at it.

(regarding bodybuilders being athletic and powerful) . ..
    They might look it but i dont beleive they can deliver on all that power they have, because of the way they have trained in isolation, the pec or bicep muscle has no way to send its power through the bodies chain of joints and connective tissue and most power is lost in transit.
    you can believe what you want, but the fact remains that many natural bodybuilders are very athletic and very powerful. isolation exercises are only part of a bodybuilding regimen. most bodybuilders also do compound movements as they are the greatest overall mass builders. they just normally use higher reps than powerlifters. this holds true for many of the juicers as well, though there does come a point when so much mass makes things more difficult.

My belief is you must train the body as a whole(not so much total number of muscle fibers used), like lifting a heavy object from the ground to overhead,
    olympic lifts are awesome.

walking while bear hugging a heavy object,. .. pushing a truck in neutral
    strong man training is awesome.

so is powerlifting and bodybuilding. olympic lifts might serve the martial artist better by developing more explosive strength (though those who use west side principles would argue their powerlifters are also developing explosive power and speed as they focus on insuring their powerlifters can consistently jump higher as they get stronger). i would even agree that strong man training has more real world carry over than run of the mill gym strength. however, this doesn't mean that a martial artist who happens to like either powerlifting or bodybuilding, is wasting his time. getting strong can only help the martial artist no matter what the means, and someone's time is going to be better spent doing something he enjoys as a means of cross training.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    well pleased with my meet today. i got best overall lifter which was ****ing awesome (total divided by bodyweight).

my total was 1000 even (365 squat, 265 bench, 370 dead). i got to do a 4th lift for both squat and bench for state record and i got 375 and 270 (they don't count towards total for that meet, but they do affect my ranking.

i have vids of the 375 squat and the 265 bench. unfortunatley suzi forgot to vid the 270 bench which is a shame because it was one of my best grinds.

375 squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYGLvkNzt7w

265 bench:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHsTnwPtKs
    Sweet