Thread: Choy Lay Fut Intercepting Tiger? 截虎拳

Choy Lay Fut Intercepting Tiger? 截虎拳

I was looking through Amazon China site for some books and DVDs, as I want to start a new collection now (I left all my other books and dvds back home). Came across some CLF videos on Amazon china. One is for a form called Jie Hu Quan 截虎拳 (Jit Fu Kuen I believe) or Intercepting Tiger Fist (as it is translated on the video cover).

Has anyone ever heard of this?
    Heres the link
    http://www.amazon.cn/mn/detailApp?qi...did=zjys328540

this is the link to all the CLF videos. Im buying a few of those this week.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Hi Eddie,

This form is pssed down by Chan Heung (probably standardized and written down either by Koon-Pak or Yiu-Chi), it belongs to the primary level after Siu Mui Fa, the full name is Sup Ji Jit fu Kuen. Sifu Liang is a student of Pun Fun 潘芬, who studied with Chan Yiu-Chi and is one of the earliest sifu to teach CLF in Guangzhou.

He doesn't move that well (getting old and not enough practice like me) but his forms follow the kuen-po to the letter, so they will make a good collector's items, especially if you are interested in Chan Heung's line of doing CLF. You can see him doing Siu Mui Fa here:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/ujz4c33yPDM/

Hope this helps and hope you are enjoying China.

XJ
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 04-12-2009 at 06:54 AM.

cool thanks sir.
    I will order all his dvds. its fairly cheap and very easy for me to order.
    Looks pretty cool
    得 心 應 手

extrajoseph,

im very interested in learning old chinese forms. do you know for a fact if intercepting tiger was actually created by chan heung the creator of choy li fut? did chan heung create the small plum flower and the 5 wheel fist form as well?

i would greatly appreciate it if you could list a couple of choy li fut forms that were created during the 1800s. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Hi Eddie,

This form is pssed down by Chan Heung (probably standardized and written down either by Koon-Pak or Yiu-Chi), it belongs to the primary level after Siu Mui Fa, the full name is Sup Ji Jit fu Kuen. Sifu Liang is a student of Pun Fun 潘芬, who studied with Chan Yiu-Chi and is one of the earliest sifu to teach CLF in Guangzhou.

He doesn't move that well (getting old and not enough practice like me) but his forms follow the kuen-po to the letter, so they will make a good collector's items, especially if you are interested in Chan Heung's line of doing CLF. You can see him doing Siu Mui Fa here:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/ujz4c33yPDM/

Hope this helps and hope you are enjoying China.

XJ
    Seems like he doesn't rotate his waist very far and arms aren't as loose and extended compared to other variations of CLF. Not saying this is "wrong" but I notice that the flavor is different.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    extrajoseph,

im very interested in learning old chinese forms. do you know for a fact if intercepting tiger was actually created by chan heung the creator of choy li fut? did chan heung create the small plum flower and the 5 wheel fist form as well?

i would greatly appreciate it if you could list a couple of choy li fut forms that were created during the 1800s. thank you.
    A couple I know for sure: the Nine Dragon Trident and the Ching Jong. The "five wheel stance" and the "five wheel fists" are definitely early forms plus the "four doors bridge, run the live horse", because they are the most basic.

extrajoseph,

thanks for the reply. now im a little excited because i have the 5 wheel hammer dvd made by the person who made the vcd the original poster was refering to. and its not a hard form to perform. do you know these info for a fact or are they observations because the forms are basic?

extrajoseph, is doc fai wong's version of the 5 wheel hammer the original one? what do you know about the choy li fut small plum flower form and sup gee kau da?

thank you

extrajoseph,

thanks for the reply. now im a little excited because i have the 5 wheel hammer dvd made by the person who made the vcd the original poster was refering to. and its not a hard form to perform. do you know these info for a fact or are they observations because the forms are basic?

extrajoseph, is doc fai wong's version of the 5 wheel hammer the original one? what do you know about the choy li fut small plum flower form and sup gee kau da?

thank you
    5 wheel hammer? now thats a direct translation. Where are you from? You from China?
    得 心 應 手

eddie,

i live in california. ive known the chinese and english names for the form called 5 wheel hammer for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    5 wheel hammer? now thats a direct translation. Where are you from? You from China?
    Wu Lun Chui.

Chui = Hammer
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Seems like he doesn't rotate his waist very far and arms aren't as loose and extended compared to other variations of CLF. Not saying this is "wrong" but I notice that the flavor is different.

EO
    Original 'Sun Wui' techiques of Clf, didnt have the extension of CLF seen today

extrajoseph,

thank you
    What I have told you is what I learned from my teachers, but they could be wrong.

Chui used in the name do not actually mean a hammer, but it has the connotation of being a powerful fist like a hammer.

Doc Fai's Ng Lung Chui has the original sequence listed in the King Mui Kuen Po.

Plum flowers have 3 buds and 5 petals, they referred to the 3 heights (high, low and the middle) and the 5 directions (forward, retreat, left, right and center). It also referred to the plum blossom leaves falling - light and fast. Small means short and basic.

Sup gee or cross referred to the 4 directions, and kau da is how to use linear movements to penetrate and bridge the distance to attack.

They are all basic techniques prepare the students into the more advance levels.