Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takashi Miike

I saw Crows Zero at Suncoast. $29.99!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I saw Crows Zero at Suncoast. $29.99!!
    i am watching crows zero right noqw. im at the date scene. it has me rolling! this movie is great!!

zebraman, not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Finally got around to; The Great Yokai War.

This movie was a lot of fun. It was really cool to see all the yokai in live action. Especially to see the kappa, for me anyway. That character was great lol.

Also you get to see Chiaki Kuriyama play another bad girl. Always fun.

The magic sword was pretty bad ass too. I wish I had a magic sword like that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i got a magic stick. lmfao

The Kappa was hilarious

Kappa were the original TMNT

I liked the lamp and umbrella demons. I've always thought those were odd in Ukiyo-e and apparently, so does Miike. And the long-necked demoness was classic.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Kappa were the original TMNT

I liked the lamp and umbrella demons. I've always thought those were odd in Ukiyo-e and apparently, so does Miike. And the long-necked demoness was classic.
    lol ya, the long necked demoness reminded me of beatleguise lol. only...hot...idk if thats strange or not...

oh and the wall demon LOL that was hillarious.

the film almost had a 'labryinth' 'neverending story' feel to it. its another childrens classic imo

ive noticed its not a movie you can talk to many people about though, no one freaking knows what a kappa is....and for that matter a yokai...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I concur

I was raised with some of that stuff. I had this book of Japanese fables as a kid, done in a classic ukiyo-e style. That left a huge impression on me. So seeing GYW really worked for me since I have the fable underpinning. I wonder how it works for someone who's completely unfamiliar with the myths.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was raised with some of that stuff. I had this book of Japanese fables as a kid, done in a classic ukiyo-e style. That left a huge impression on me. So seeing GYW really worked for me since I have the fable underpinning. I wonder how it works for someone who's completely unfamiliar with the myths.
    well i tried to explain it to a couple people today, i just gave up after seeing them look completely confused the whole time.

i tried to correlate the yokai with europian myths of fairies, ogres, trolls, goblins, gnomes, etc. even though its not the same that kinda helped.

more on Y

Yatterman and Crows Zero (p1 & p2) are top of my Miike to-be-viewed list now.
    Yatterman Anime Movie Green-Lit for August 22
    posted on 2009-05-09 13:18 EDT
    Takashi Miike's earlier live-action film about duo of heroes opened in March

A preview website has announced that a new anime movie version of Tatsunoko Production's Yatterman science-fiction comedy anime series has been green-lit. The film will open in Japan on August 22. The website promises that the film will bring together new Yatter Mecha for the Yatterman duo of heroes to use in their fight against evil.

The original Yatterman television series premiered in 1977, and it spawned the first Yatterman anime film that same year. A new Yatterman televison series began running in Japan last year.

Takashi Miike (Crows Zero, Ichi the Killer, MPD Psycho) cemented his newfound mainstream film success by directing a live-action Yatterman film with Arashi singer/actor Sho Sakurai (Honey and Clover). The live-action film opened in Japan in March after Miike and Sakurai held its world premiere at New York Comic Con in February . It became the #1 film at the Japanese box office for four straight weekends.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I ordered Miike's The Happiness of the Katakuris, described as "The Sound of Music crossed with Dawn of the Dead." It looks to be really good, and most online reviews I've read on it seem very positive.

I saw Yatterman

It was entertaining. It's not quite a kid's film, despite having all the trappings. There was too much breast humor for kids, like slo-motion groping the villainess and a mecha with machine gun nipples and tit grenades. It reminded me a little of Speed Racer in that it was a kid film redone on this outrageous special effects level. I never watched yatterman, but I could feel the kid show devices, like the goofy henchmen and youthful heroes (yatterman was built in a toy factory). Yatterman looked like Robo-Clifford. Still, I was very entertained throughout the film. The costumes and effects were cool. And that villainess was smoking hot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

im so putting that on my netflix, just for her outfit.

thats one thing that i love about japanese live action scifi/fantasy, the costumes all the wonderful lovely costumes.

miike is definitely a modern day genius of a filmaker. it is like a compulsion of mine to buy a miike film when i see one.

anybody seen Scars on the Sun w/ english subs in an american store yet?

man, full metal yakuza was just so unexpected haha. that robo yakuza guy is packing! lol. i especially love the scene where he kicks a severed head across the city right off the balcony of a building. great stuff!

ttt 4 2017!

Wow, we're way behind on this here thread.

Here's his latest - JOJO'S BIZZARE ADVENTURE
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips