Thread: pai da

pai da

Hi,

I am trying to find out some more information about pai da training, is anyone here involved in this.

What does it entail? how is it different from internal conditioning methods seen in xing yi/ bagua.

best
    alex
    Khuen wai kung zi phoon, kung wai khuen zi phoor

deeperthantao,

拍 打 pāi dá (pat strike) refers to striking the body with various training tools or anatomical weapons coupled with qigong exercises to toughen the body against strikes.

I have practiced it at various times over several decades. Do you have specific questions?

Richard

I too have practiced Pai Da in various forms for years.

What are you attempting to gleam?

Can I be of help as well as my brother from Ohio?
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Hi,

Thanks for the response,

I guess I am wondering how pai da differs from more stance based methods seen in internal stances?

what is the philosophy behind pai da training? Is there qi gong sets that accompany it?

Pretty basic questions, but, haven't been able to track down much information, and I have found a bagua teacher than teaches it, have been contemplating the process, as I want to compete in lei tai in the next couple year, before I get to old
    Khuen wai kung zi phoon, kung wai khuen zi phoor

deeperthantao,

Dale is the expert on the internal arts, so I'll let him address that comparison.

I can describe the pai da methods I was taught and have practiced over the years. The body is struck with bundled wire, filled bags, wooden rods and 2x4's to toughen the skin, bones and musculature. Both external and internal herbal concoctions are used to strengthen the body and promote healing (Plumdragon and CDIA Supplies supply these items). Finally, qigong exercises are used to direct qi to the effected areas of the body to strengthen and promote healing.
    It is kind of hard to go into much more detail than this on a forum.

Richard
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.

"The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

One of the great side benefits of pai da is getting used to being hit. I remember in the 60's when medium contact was first allowed in tournaments. It was interesting to watch how people who had only done no-contact or light-contact sparring responded to actually getting hit.
    Pai da training helps the individual get over the fear of being struck. IMHO, that is more important in modern day self-defense than the actual body conditioning that results. It doesn't matter how tough you are physically, if you are weak mentally!

Richard