Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cheung bo lineage

cheung bo lineage

just bought some videos off ebay. Actual combat in traditional yong chun quan. It is by mai yaoming. Does anyone know anything about him. Every thing in manderin so its a biu hard to tell if its is cheung bo stuff

Cheung Bo taught Sum Nung who then learned from Yuen Kay-San and later taught Cheung Bo's seventh son.

Modern Cheung Bo WCK is Cheung Chut's version of Sum Nung WCK, though marketed by Mok as a separate system.

Cheung Bo was a Hung Ga fighter who, after being defeated by a nationalist army doctor named Wai Yiu-Ming (who reportedly knew some of Fung Siu-Ching's system), switched to Wing Chun.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules....content&tid=11

thanx heaps if anyone i thought you would know. My teacher bill meet some guys from that lineage at th vtaa conference and one of the guys looked similar. I was wondering if the sifu was a good representation of the lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    thanx heaps if anyone i thought you would know. My teacher bill meet some guys from that lineage at th vtaa conference and one of the guys looked similar. I was wondering if the sifu was a good representation of the lineage.
    That sifu is the lineage.

Might I interject - really who cares about lineage? This is all mind made attempts at categorization and comparison. People who have skill, have skill. All this lineage stuff really makes divisions in people.

Its not a question if his lineage is any good; it is a matter if that person is good.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post

Might I interject - really who cares about lineage? This is all mind made attempts at categorization and comparison. People who have skill, have skill. All this lineage stuff really makes divisions in people.

Its not a question if his lineage is any good; it is a matter if that person is good.
    Thats so true...i have to agree with you there...

i meant that i know the story of cheung bo i was wondering he that guy was a good example of what they did or is he just some student that learnt a bit. I like to look at everyones ideas and i find it gives another way of looking at it. We all know people that have done three lessons and call them gm. I meant nothing about his lineage only if he was that lineage and how good compared to others of his lineage.

not true. different lineages teach and stress different things. although the individual matters, so does what he is taught.

Quote Originally Posted by clam61 View Post
    not true. different lineages teach and stress different things. although the individual matters, so does what he is taught.
    So the differences of Lineage would you say that could make or break a WC fighter?

So Fedor Emilianko is a lousy fighter by your definition?

If a person is good, he's good. All a lineage can tell you is if a person has some access to "good" information, but then YMMV - did they train it, are they conditioned, does he know how to use his body, can they faat ging, etc?

As far as WCK lineages, its a small spread - many make a big deal about a few small things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    So the differences of Lineage would you say that could make or break a WC fighter?
    not necessarily make or break...but it has a difference.

not all techniques, styles, etc. are the same. there are major differences between certain lineages.

So Fedor Emilianko is a lousy fighter by your definition?
    i dont know who that is...i assume its some fighter who is not a WC practitioner?
    i didnt say that you cant fight good if you are not studying ______ style so i dont know what you are talkng about.

If a person is good, he's good. All a lineage can tell you is if a person has some access to "good" information, but then YMMV - did they train it, are they conditioned, does he know how to use his body, can they faat ging, etc?
    yes i agree YMMV...but OBVIOUSLY style matters. do you think that Fedor whateverhisnameis studying at United Studios of Self Defense could be just as good?

As far as WCK lineages, its a small spread - many make a big deal about a few small things.
    whats a small thing that people make a big deal of?

i dont know who that is...i assume its some fighter who is not a WC practitioner?
    i didnt say that you cant fight good if you are not studying ______ style so i dont know what you are talkng about.

yes i agree YMMV...but OBVIOUSLY style matters. do you think that Fedor whateverhisnameis studying at United Studios of Self Defense could be just as good?

whats a small thing that people make a big deal of?
    In my view, one of the major problems with "style" is that people mistakenly believe that you will fight with your style. You don't. What all functional martial arts do is take the SAME FUNDAMENTALS of fighting skills but with different focus, different emphasis, different etc. and provide a means of training those fundamentals. There is only stand-up/free-movement, clinch/inside/attached fighitng, and ground; the fundamentals of each range/stage are those things anyone who fights at that range NEEDS to do. So if your art provides you with the fundamentals, it really doesn't matter what the art is. But what does matter is HOW you train (and with whom).

In my view, one of the major problems with "style" is that people mistakenly believe that you will fight with your style. You don't. What all functional martial arts do is take the SAME FUNDAMENTALS of fighting skills but with different focus, different emphasis, different etc. and provide a means of training those fundamentals. There is only stand-up/free-movement
    Not all styles teach the same fundamentals. For example, one of the main focuses of Wing Chun is relaxation. Only through proper relaxation of the body can you achieve the greatest speed and power. Only through proper relaxation of the mind can you react the quickest.

I guarantee you that on a whole other MAs do not touch upon this.

I can think of a concrete example of what clam61 is talking about regarding different styles teaching different things that are of significance.

In YM lineages bong sau, tan sau etc etc are done differently than in YKS lineages--the wrist is not bent to create a hook. You can't stick to your opponent--as a result a lot of people think sticky hands is completely useless or not practical

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    In YM lineages bong sau, tan sau etc etc are done differently than in YKS lineages--the wrist is not bent to create a hook. You can't stick to your opponent--as a result a lot of people think sticky hands is completely useless or not practical
    i see your new and already making friends

there is good and bad in each and every lineage, however i think you may have over generalised a little too far here!

In the YM/Gulao Lee Shing lineage that i started out in the bong is done with the fingers spearing forward (and the elbow at eye level...)

In the WSL/Ng Chun Hong lineage i am now a part of the bong is done still with three angles, but with elbow parralel to shoulder and almost 'limp' wristed. ie: no tension and with different 'dynamics'

the tan sao in my WSL/Ng Chun Hong lineage is always done with the wrist bent. always. the movement you describe (with the arm and hand in one shape) is still done, but its not tan sau to us they have different dynamics and create a different effect when they crash through

by the way, i believe William Cheung has a neat way of dealing with said bong sau! perhaps some of the TWC guys can pick up from here

anyway, welcome - and all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Not all styles teach the same fundamentals. For example, one of the main focuses of Wing Chun is relaxation. Only through proper relaxation of the body can you achieve the greatest speed and power. Only through proper relaxation of the mind can you react the quickest.

I guarantee you that on a whole other MAs do not touch upon this.
    Your guarantee appears to be only a guarantee of nonsense wherever you pop up. Most karate schools at high levels have plenty of drills that focus on relaxation, my boxing coach was constantly on at me to relax and had plenty of drills to help, ditto kendo, aikido, jujutsu... not only physical drills but it's not like meditation (whether moving or static) is strange to a lot of martial ways.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan