Thread: Chinese Gim Is Most Like the European What?

Chinese Gim Is Most Like the European What?

Hello all,

I was recently trying to classify the Chinese Gim / Jian / Straight Sword and so started to wonder what European sword it was probably most like.

I think I am probably more interested in application or intended use and tactics rather than shape or form, however, I imagine these are probably more interrelated than not. After all form has a tendency to follow function.

Some of my initial thoughts are as follows:

I think the gim was probably not like the rapier as this seems to have been a strictly thrusting sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapier). the Rapier also seems to be a bit lighter and more maneuverable if less versatile.

After a little further research I am leaning towards the gim being most like the European Side Swords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-sword).

In any case I was interested in throwing this out there and seeing what everyone's thoughts were.

Humble Disciple,

Like the swords in other parts of the world, Chinese swords have evolved in various shapes through time . According to the info you provided on the rapier and European side sword, I agree with your idea of the gim. It has never been like the rapier in any time. And with regards to double edged sword, I like the gim of the Qing Dynasty best. It is also very much like the European side sword you have mentioned. They are both war swords.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

...most like an arming sword or knights sword. as far as euro blades go.
    it's a dual edge straight bladed sword. Which is also referred to as a side sword as Steve Lau just mentioned.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Most like shiny tin foil wrapped around a thin stick.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Most like shiny tin foil wrapped around a thin stick.
    You need to get a better sword...lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You need to get a better sword...lol
    That actually is my gim
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.