Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    the history of China has been an on-going debate about just how much freedom people should have,
    it's evident in most cultures and nations... freedom... that funny little word at the center of our existence.
    from the rigidity of the Confucists to the anarchy of the Taoists and everywhere in between;
    there is no order without chaos.
    the way that sort of comment is going to be perceived in China is not the same as it would be received elsewhere in the world
    imagine that... people who misunderstand each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Governing in China is like herding cats.
    if i had been sipping tea, it would've most likely come out my nose...

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    And as most people will tell you, the government does not control China anyway. Governing in China is like herding cats.
    Really? I bet all the millions that staved to death during the great leap forward would take issue with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist.
    Why? So are you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    A lot of Chinese say that. Chan is right. People don't have the cultural background for self determination. Life has alwasy been driven by fate and examinations. Always has. After that its just finding a wife/house/son and hoping the next generation does well on the provincial exam. Singapore is a jewel of Asia and they use the cane. Money and education is the long term solution, but until then, canes should be in use. When the canes get dusty, add some freedom.

I was in a wetland park yesterday in Chengdu where they take polluted water, run it through ponds and over rocks and in the end fish can live in it. Its teaching kids about ecology etc. A man was fishing there to steal goldfish to take home and providing lures for the kids. No one did anything although some people were talkiing to each other about it. I publically admonished him calling him a low class theif and questioning whether he was a man. He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property. He knew he was wrong, but there were no checks and balances. All he needed was for one person to tell him no.
    Just because something is against the law doesn't mean it is wrong!

A lot of Chinese say that. Chan is right. People don't have the cultural background for self determination. Life has alwasy been driven by fate and examinations. Always has. After that its just finding a wife/house/son and hoping the next generation does well on the provincial exam. Singapore is a jewel of Asia and they use the cane. Money and education is the long term solution, but until then, canes should be in use. When the canes get dusty, add some freedom.

I was in a wetland park yesterday in Chengdu where they take polluted water, run it through ponds and over rocks and in the end fish can live in it. Its teaching kids about ecology etc. A man was fishing there to steal goldfish to take home and providing lures for the kids. No one did anything although some people were talkiing to each other about it. I publically admonished him calling him a low class theif and questioning whether he was a man. He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property. He knew he was wrong, but there were no checks and balances. All he needed was for one person to tell him no.
    Money and education the long time solution? Seems to me I heard something about that also being Mao's goals too. Didn't the literacy rate start rising every year when Mao took power?

I still don't know what some poor smuck stealing fish has to do with this. I think instead of busting his chops for breaking a petty law you should loudly protest the government and regulations (or lack thereof) that caused the water and air to become polluted in the first place. Of course you'll go to jail but it's got to start somewhere.

Some people have defended on these words by JC as he is not very good in verbal and diplomatic skill. I tend to agree so. And also some reactions to these words are over-reactive. Tentigers is correct. When people receive too much freedom, they tend to abuse it. And that is what JC meant when he said Chinese needed to be controlled. So, let us calm down.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Thank you Andy I agree completely.

From a fellow Chinese.

外国人不明白。
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by boulderdawg View Post

i still don't know what some poor smuck stealing fish has to do with this. I think instead of busting his chops for breaking a petty law you should loudly protest the government and regulations (or lack thereof) that caused the water and air to become polluted in the first place. Of course you'll go to jail but it's got to start somewhere.
    no .
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

He acted like he was going to fight, but eventually left with his head sunk when I equated him to the Japanese stealing the people's property.

How great that you could call upon the power of bigotry to get your point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Just because something is against the law doesn't mean it is wrong!
    Only if you get caught....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    How great that you could call upon the power of bigotry to get your point across.
    It's not bigotry.

But its a clever way of getting the point across though.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I've read the comments that Jackie Chan made before a group of Chinese Business men:

I'm beyond shocked. Jackie Chan is a racist. I respect the man's right to his opinion on politics. There are many people on this board who have brought into the Chinese government propaganda they spread hook, line and sinker. That said his suggestion that the Chinese people are simply stupid children that need looking after is no different than the comments made in this country a 150 years ago as an argument to not free the slaves.
    What? There are many in this country that have also said that people have too many freedoms and take liberty with things (for example, freedom of speech to say ANYTHING no matter how offensive just because you can say it vs. limited speech that has no redeeming value).

As far as 150 yrs. ago, Blacks were thought of as sub-human. They weren't even considered on the same level as Whites. That is a HUGE difference between what Chan said and that attitude. Do you even know the difference between prejudice and racist?

You could say that Jackie Chan is an elitist and would be correct, but not a racist.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

I wonder how Jackie would feel about having the controls imposed upon him that he thinks the rest of the Chinese people need.

This kind of thinking is rife with error in my opinion.

People, if anything, should take responsibility for each and everyone of the actions they take and they should be prepared to deal wit the consequences of said actions good or bad.

Letting government decide what you can and cannot do leads to disaster.
    Letting someone else control what you do or say in a general sense is also a foundation for disaster.

Once a person reaches the age of responsibility, they should undertake to engage themselves in that responsibility.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm just amazed there are people here who will defend a government such as this. I also notice that some of the people who are defending it also left it and moved elsewhere.

I think these people have forgotten that the same people who killed so many people at Tiananmen Square and in the aftermath are still in charge of the country. They are perfectly content with Chan's statement. They also have convinced the Chinese people of the false belief that "Things are changing in China but's a slow process and you must wait."

Real change in China is many decades away.

Here's the AP article for more context

I definitely need to be controlled. I'm thinking Gina Carano is just that person who should control me.
    Jackie Chan: Chinese people need to be controlled
    AP
    By WILLIAM FOREMAN, Associated Press Writer William Foreman, Associated Press Writer – Sat Apr 18, 2:48 pm ET

BOAO, China – Action star Jackie Chan said Saturday he's not sure if a free society is a good thing for China and that he's starting to think "we Chinese need to be controlled."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders in China's southern island province of Hainan.

The 55-year-old Hong Kong actor was participating in a panel at the annual Boao Forum when he was asked to discuss censorship and restrictions on filmmakers in China. He expanded his comments to include society.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

The kung fu star has not been a vocal supporter of the pro-democracy movement in his hometown of Hong Kong. Since the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997, voters have not been allowed to directly elect their leader. Several massive street protests have been held to demand full democracy, but Beijing has repeatedly said Hong Kong isn't ready for it.

The theme at Saturday's panel discussion was "Tapping into Asia's Creative Industry Potential," and Chan had several opinions about innovation in China.

He said that early in his career, he lived in the shadow of the late martial arts star Bruce Lee. He said that during his first foray into Hollywood, he struggled to establish his own identity, so he returned to Hong Kong. After spending 15 years building his reputation in Asia, Chan finally got rediscovered by Hollywood, he said.

Chan said the problem with Chinese youth is that "they like other people's things. They don't like their own things." Young people need to spend more time developing their own style, he added.

The action hero complained that Chinese goods still have too many quality problems. He became emotional when discussing contaminated milk powder that sickened tens of thousands of Chinese babies in the past year.

Speaking fast with his voice rising, Chan said, "If I need to buy a TV, I'll definitely buy a Japanese TV. A Chinese TV might explode."
    Jackie Chan's China comments prompt backlash (AP)
    Source: AP Sun Apr 19, 2009, 4:20 am EDT

HONG KONG - Action star Jackie Chan 's comments wondering whether Chinese people "need to be controlled" have drawn sharp rebuke in his native Hong Kong and in Taiwan .

Chan told a business forum in the southern Chinese province of Hainan that a free society may not be beneficial for China 's authoritarian mainland.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said Saturday. "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He went on to say that freedoms in Hong Kong and Taiwan made those societies "chaotic."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders, but did not sit well with lawmakers in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

"He's insulted the Chinese people. Chinese people aren't pets," Hong Kong pro-democracy legislator Leung Kwok-hung told The Associated Press. "Chinese society needs a democratic system to protect human rights and rule of law."

Another lawmaker, Albert Ho, called the comments "racist," adding: "People around the world are running their own countries. Why can't Chinese do the same?"

Former British colony Hong Kong enjoys Western-style civil liberties and some democratic elections under Chinese rule. Half of its 60-member legislature is elected, with the other half picked by special interest groups. But Hong Kong's leader is chosen by a panel stacked with Beijing loyalists.

In democratically self-ruled Taiwan, which split from mainland China during a civil war in 1949, legislator Huang Wei-che said Chan himself "has enjoyed freedom and democracy and has reaped the economic benefits of capitalism. But he has yet to grasp the true meaning of freedom and democracy."

Chan's comments were reported by news outlets in Hong Kong and Taiwan, but were ignored by the mainland Chinese press.

Although Chan was a fierce critic of the brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in June 1989, which killed at least hundreds, he has not publicly criticized China's government in recent years and is immensely popular on the mainland.

He performed during the opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics and took part in the Olympic torch relay .

Chan also is vice chairman of the China Film Association, a key industry group.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart