Thread: Wing Lam's school

Wing Lam's school

I thought I had heard that Wing Lam's school had closed down. Does anybody else know if this is true or why?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I thought I had heard that Wing Lam's school had closed down. Does anybody else know if this is true or why?
    He retired.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

i do not believe so he does have a website you know www.wle.com

he retired awhile ago, right?

I heard he teaches a very small private group. But the public school is closed.

Hay Say Fu, Subitai or maybe even Gene might know the real though.

The public school is closed but Wing Lam still teaches

Wing Lam holds a weekly private session with his disciples and a few other students. He also travels occasionally to give seminars and workshops. The school was closed to the public, but the mail order company is still in operation. I wrote an article on him (he was my first kung fu master) in our 2009 January/February Shaolin Special - Wing Lam Completes the Cycle of Sixty with New Disciples.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wing Lam holds a weekly private session with his disciples and a few other students. He also travels occasionally to give seminars and workshops. The school was closed to the public, but the mail order company is still in operation. I wrote an article on him (he was my first kung fu master) in our 2009 January/February Shaolin Special - Wing Lam Completes the Cycle of Sixty with New Disciples.
    Thanks for that information. I had checked on the wing lam forum and no one answered the question.

I didn't know the reasons behind it other than hearing the main school had closed. That makes more sense that the school is just closed to the public, but he continues to teach.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Wing Lam is an excellent K/F Master, his Hung Ga is the " real thing", Traditonal, Strong, Old School stuff, and among the best ever.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    He retired.
    I understand he sells garden gnomes...

What's wrong with gnomes? You don't like gnomes?

Actually, I don't know if he's really selling gnomes or not. He could be. One of his students got involved in importing stone lions from China. That opened up a new market for him because once you figure out how to import huge stone sculptures, you can import all sorts of things. So he expanded into stone statuary like pagodas and buddhas and such. He had the space. The parking lot where the students used to work out sometimes was fenced off and ample. So after he closed the school, he filled it with stone sculptures. It was a side business, pretty much local only because he didn't want to ship them. That's expensive obviously and returns are a *****.

I haven't been by there in some time. I don't remember seeing any gnomes, but I'm not denying that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Actually, I don't know if he's really selling gnomes or not. He could be. One of his students got involved in importing stone lions from China. That opened up a new market for him because once you figure out how to import huge stone sculptures, you can import all sorts of things. So he expanded into stone statuary like pagodas and buddhas and such. He had the space. The parking lot where the students used to work out sometimes was fenced off and ample. So after he closed the school, he filled it with stone sculptures. It was a side business, pretty much local only because he didn't want to ship them. That's expensive obviously and returns are a *****.

I haven't been by there in some time. I don't remember seeing any gnomes, but I'm not denying that.
    nothing against gnomes at all (although they do creep me out a little); just seem to recall he was in the garden sculpture business; which probably is a lot more profitable than teaching MA; and good for him if he turns a profit by it, no reproach at all if it allows him to teach only seniors as he likes!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hmmm. .. ok, now I get it.
    Nevermind with putting up a ring or a cage, when I build my next school.
    The way to go is garden gnomes!
    Ha. I'm gonna leave Tiger Shullmann in the dust!
    I will build my empire, one gnome at a time....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I will build my empire, one gnome at a time....
    Japanese already tried that.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

My first sifu was very industrious

Wing Lam also owned (and may still own) an apartment building. He also crafts weapons, but you probably know that. But he never really needed the martial arts for his income. The stone sculpture stuff came later, sort of after the school closed. I think he owns the building which once served as the school and now serves as the WLE warehouse and stone sculpture yard. It's actually the third building he's occupied on that street block. The first was an industrial business/storage space. The second was a former ice rink. The third is a free standing building with a fenced off yard.

I often think that's why he was so mellow about his approach to the martial arts. He just does it because he loves it. He wasn't motivated by profit really.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

saw a couple of his video's

no big loss.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.