Thread: If you cant beath em join em

If you cant beath em join em

Due to a never ending rent increase Kung Fu USA has join forces with a wrestling, boxing and soon to be a MMA school.
    It all started when I walked into a huge complex that just opened up in my neighborhood and struck up a conversation with the owner who happens to be the only wrestling school in WNY. After a great hour conversation he asked if I wanted to join forces and become the first multi fighting academy in this area. I was thrilled, this school is huge, half a plaza with 4 olympic rings, boxing ring and soon to have an octogan, everything is brand new showers, locker room, weight room etc etc.
    all the students can partake in any or all of the programs for one price.

I am very excited about this but was wondering what others have to say.
    Is the small 1 style school a thing of the past? can you be traditional and still make profits year after year when so many people are flooding to MMA schools. Am I selling out, joining the band wagon or changing with the times? I will still teach 8 step and my ciriculum will not change but I will have the opportunity to reach other that might not have an interest in kung fu with over 150 wrestling students. so what are your thoughts? thanks in advance
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 05-07-2009 at 01:54 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

It makes sense... as long as you get all the bizness things in writing as far as memberships, etc. Seriously- the Chin Woo was a collaboration of many styles under one roof.

I had an offer like this but we could not agree on the business issues. He liked the idea of me teaching for free, but I wasn't so keen on it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    ED -
    My opinion solely:
    If you get a good percentage, and he/they takes care of marketing for you, that sounds pretty decent.

However, if you're responsible for bringing in students, then you might as well stay your own business.

Styles themselves don't sell. It's the person doing the marketing and promotions that does.

There are people still with huge Tang Soo Do, Shaolin Do, TKD, Karate, and Kuk Sul Won schools that are huge businesses. They *MIGHT* have a BJJ/MMA class. How do these schools remain successful enterprises, without completely transforming/rebranding their schools? Hint: it's not about the style of MA they teach.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I definitely agree with yutyeesam,

but back in my Wing Chun days i almost joined a partnership with a Jeet Kune Do Instructor and fortunately i didnt because things definitely went South with his business and he went to jail. So it presents a great opportunity but approach it with caution.

p.s. good luck, great success!

This is the future of martial arts in this economy. Its also a wonderful opportunity for instructors to grow and learn how to respect and learn from other teachers and ideas. And it helps so that students don't start looking at their style or teacher as some kind of idol or god.

The business advice given here so far is sound. My 2 cents is that popularity goes in cycles. I wouldn't be too concerned about everyone going to MMA right now. Three years from now it will be.........?? Then a few years after that the popular thing will be something different. As long as you get the business stuff hammered out and this guy seems reputable, then I think you can be true to your style and may get interested students that you may not have had in other circumstances. Now if this guy wants you to start changing the way you do things so that his business improves..............

thanks so much for all your replies. I thought long and hard about it before we made the move but just wanted some other opinons.
    I am a traditionalist in the true sense. all the weay to teaching my system in chinese. I was worried about loosing that aspect when joining this MMA org, but like you said they cant change how I teach or do things so to me I compared it to having a store all by itself or moving into a mall with much more traffic. thanks agin for the advice.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."