Thread: Beginner form syllabus for Northern Mantis systems

Hybrid View

Beginner form syllabus for Northern Mantis systems

Hey,

I was wondering for the individual and various styles and lineages what beginner forms syllabus do each utilize?

For instance in the 7 Star Praying Mantis system that I study we have the 9 beginner sets that utilize important concepts and provide the base skills for the beginning practitioner.

The 9 beginner sets:

Tan Tui (tan toy)
    Tui Jin
    Gune Lik Kuen (gong li quan)
    Sap Sei Lo Tan Toy (shi su lu tan tui)
    Bong bou (beng bu)
    Chap Choy (cha chui)
    Sap Pa Sau (shi ba shou)
    Dore Guan (dou gang)
    Ha Fu Ga Chau (hei hu jiao cha)

Which each represent a specific concept of use for developing the base level gong fu.

and beginner weapon sets:
    Ng lung guan
    Bagua dao
    Double broadsword, etc...

Thanks for any input.

I'm not positive where Beginner ends and "Intermediate" picks up but from what I can tell at our school, these are beginner level (I will use your spelling of the form names):

Tan Tui
    Tui Jin
    Gune Lik Kuen
    Chap Choy
    Sap Sei Lo Tan Toy

I would think Bung Bo, Jeet Kuen, Dau Gong, Sap Baht Sao, etc would be "Intermediate" level.

... and then after a whole bunch of years you take a closer look at Sap Sei Lo Tan Toy and your realize "my gosh- the man was a genius!"

I would add one more basic form...

Tong Long Baht Bouh Kuen is a form that must be taught first before these others.
    It is aka the long work form or Work Horse Form.
    ________
    vaporgenie reviews
    ________
    Alberto ascari
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:34 AM.

actually its hard for me to understand the exact meaning without the chinese characters but doesnt that translate as praying mantis 8 step fist?
    can you elaborate more about it if possible?

thanks

tang - praying
    lang- mantis
    ba- 8
    bu- step
    chuan-fist

kuen means form... there are southern mantis styles that speak cantonese while northern speak mandarin with less of an "owu" sounds in thier dielect hope this helps, wlecome to the mantis family
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thanks Earth dragon,
    Actually I speak Mando and a decent level of Canto.
    It makes a lot more sense to me with characters but your explanantion helps.
    On a side note there are some northern systems that use Canto terminology due to Hong Kong migration. For instance certain families of WHF and CCM utilize Canto as well.

Thanks for the welcome, and great info.

Hey mightyb,

I agree there's so many essentials in sap sei lo tan toy. Its like the base of a mountain is what it reminds me of. However not my favorite form to practice (sometimes a little boring) but I have tremendous respect for the level of knowledge obtained through the understanding of sap sei lo tan toy.