Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
So what are these important concepts relating to each of the set? What is the concept of Ha Fu or Gung Li Keun

Why Ng Long Kwun and Bagua Dao?

Each teacher will teach forms order slightly different....if I did not have a syllaabus from my teacher I would teach them in a very different order. Also I have seen changes in the order taught eaven by the same family!

Also Which family has tong long Baat Bouh Kuen? I have not seen it in LKW family listing.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk
Again- just my opinion, but- that's why I say none of this is important at the beginner level. It's just too darn confusing. You can literally teach all of the techniques and concepts through drilling and sparring without actually telling the students those concepts. I'd wait for them to internalize without knowing they internalized them before I would get into any deep philosophical discussions about key words and theory. Heck- if they can pull off a nou lou choi, tu sou, yin min chit don, ha fu gou cha, foom sau, bung choi, to a yu jom (phonetic spelling of what I think Sifu's saying in Cantonese - but I don't hear the tonal connotations too well though) combo through natural reaction- they would've effectively displayed just about every philosophical concept in mantis. When they can do that- that's the time to start debating theory. Otherwise it's just a bunch-o-gobbly gook that will hinder their progress, not help it.

The above combo English-ized: bad guy throughs a straight punch- you do the hook control punch (choi som sau) they block, you follow with an intercepting hand and punch straight to their face, they block so you drop to a heart stealing strike, they block again, so you (foom sau bung choi) overhand control back fist, they block- so you do the waist chopping strike/take down. Pretty much covers every darn concept except no Fan Che in that combo.