Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Combaton: Martial Arts crossed with Football...

Here is why your argument is silly.

Comedy is silly.

But comedy serves a purpose in all society more universally than any one sport ever has.

But comedy is by its very definition silly.

Therefore having value does not preclude having silly aspects.

Take this one further:

A troupe of fine actors doing comedy develop teamwork skills and can develop cameraderie and/or rivalry, just like in sports.

Yet what they are doing, if it isn't silly, isn't comedy.

Again, seriousness is not a benchmark of value, nor silliness necessarily a detriment to it.

Mohamed Ali was just one of a long list of sports figures who did not have a problem with making light of anything about his sport. For his legend, that trait has tremendous value.

So-called pro-wrestling is entirely based around how silly it all is, and it makes mucho dinero.

However, I'll meet you half way: sports is as serious as this argument.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 04-29-2009 at 05:00 PM.

well i never said sports are stupid, but i stand by my reasoning that people place far too much value on entertainment whilst ignoring those careers of true importance, as i said. teaching.
    Well, in the same way though, teachers get paid based on what their value is to society. A high school teacher generally isn't going to have the same level of knowledge or intellect that a university professor has. And as such, the ones who take their teaching to the highest levels end up being extremely well compensated for it. Because of the society we live in, we pay out the people who generate the most money. I think thats fair. There is no shortage of great teachers, theres just a whole lot of bad ones

i know teachers that are worth more than any sport star ever created that get paid next to nothing, but luckily they know their own importance and continue to further our future generations.
    Well thats where there is monetary value versus value as a person to society. Doctors are far more valuable to society than football players, for instance. But the whole obsession with being disgustingly rich is a little ridiculous anyway. That being said, imagine a world where teachers got paid millions of dollars a year, and how incredibly oversaturated the teaching market would become. Its like whenever martial arts experiences a bout of extreme popularity, a ton of mcdojos open up. Same difference.

I know it seems unfair that a person of higher value to society gets paid less, but real wealth isn't about cash money. And our system works that way because its the best way we could come up with to keep everything as fair and functional as possible. Unlike communism, for instance...

look at germany for example, teachers there make about what an engineer is going to make. why? they know the imortance of teaching.
    Well Germany is also a much smaller country than the US. Many Private Schools and Universities pay their teachers high 5 to high 6 figure incomes.

just look at the national test scores in america vs any other first world country.
    I will agree, America's schools are in bad shape. Throwing money at the problem won't fix it though. We need a complete overhaul of schools in general.

But then thats also private money versus public funding.

The important part of taking things so seriously that you're willing to be insulting to other people about it is to ACTUALLY READ WHAT THEY SAID. I said that it's the people who watch, not do, sports, who wax philosophical about it most, not the people who actually do it.
    Same difference, honestly. And your claim that the people who watch it have more passion about defending it than the people who do it, is completely baseless anyway.

Baseball players mostly play baseball because, get this, they simply like it. Same with boxers, football players, etc. They may benefit, or not, but this is all secondary to the fact that they like it.
    Again, completely obvious and pointless to bring this up. Everyone does what they do for hobbies, firstly because they like it. Unless they're forced into it.

But yeah, all of that is usually secondary. But its still there, and it still has a point to it. People will write because firstly they love to write, but that takes nothing away from how important writing is to society, or the benefits it has as an expressive art form.

They usually don't spend a lot of time going "baseball revealed to me the wisdom of creation," and mostly leave that stuff to anouncers and journalists who have no skill at the game.
    A lot of people in general who do something, don't really have a conscious understanding of all of the benefits of what they're doing, either. Announcers and journalists are scholars and so they have to understand what they're writing or speaking about, as completely as possible.

Bad habits are what I was talking about, not intelligence, and yes, some people start following absolute imbeciles on their team because of habits related to the team dynamic, where they never would have before. If you have never seen this, you must never have been on a team.
    Thats a general fact about the human psyche that is can't at all be attributed to team sports. It is in every facet of our life, in business, in the military, in groups of friends, there is usually always the alpha male who, dumb as **** or not, controls the group to a certain degree.

For many sports, to get good, people will enroll their kids into sports programs outside of school, which are run just like children's pageants. Some kids do get good enough from scholarships from this added time.
    It still doesn't take any extreme kind of money spending.
    And one of the most important rules to live by is to live within your means.

Silly things contribute to society all the time. This does not prevent them from being silly.
    Depends on your interpretation of the definition, I guess.

For example, the kids in the link that started this thread all display, in the videos, camaraderie that is typical of a team. Yet, what they were doing was silly. Point proven.
    It really depends on how you're interpreting that word. In general silly refers to "lacking good sense", which doesn't really fit because it makes sense from its definition as a game. It is neither irrational nor illogical, it is rational and logical in the context of being a game, thus its synonyms of absurd and ridiculous don't fit, either.

These games have a purpose in both society and business. "Silly" doesn't fit, perhaps you meant a different word.

- KC Elbows

Here is why your argument is silly.

Comedy is silly.
    No, the subject matter of comedy can be silly, because silly things are a common theme of comedy.

However comedy itself, as in, the act of creating or performing a comedy, is not silly, not at all.

But comedy serves a purpose in all society more universally than any one sport ever has.

But comedy is by its very definition silly.
    Perhaps you should look up the definition of comedy.

Therefore having value does not preclude having silly aspects.
    Of course not. Illogical/nonsensical/irrational things are present everywhere. I would say some aspects of every sport, every thing we do, are "silly".

But you cannot call the entirety of a sport like baseball or basketball or football, "Silly". Not in its context as a game.

A troupe of fine actors doing comedy develop teamwork skills and can develop cameraderie and/or rivalry, just like in sports.

Yet what they are doing, if it isn't silly, isn't comedy.
    Silliness is a comedic theme. Its one of the most common ones, but there are other comedic themes that don't rely on silliness in its definition, to be comedy.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 04-29-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Silliness is a comedic theme. Its one of the most common ones, but there are other comedic themes that don't rely on silliness in its definition, to be comedy.
    Like sports?

Seriously, fine, you see a high value to sports, cool.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 04-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.