Thread: Can someone that is pregnant practice Qigong?

Can someone that is pregnant practice Qigong?

Hey,

Question, I researched the effects of qigong on the body along time ago.
    But I had a question is anyone aware of if women that are pregnant can practice
    Qigong for any time period? In the past I always heard that they shouldn't, but can't remember why. (Lol) so if anyone can provide any type of help as to why or why not that would be great!
    Thanks

qi gong = breath work

It is not strenuous exercise, it is breathing.

simple qi gongs may even ease the discomfort of pregnancy.

Look for a teacher who is familiar with the gongs and which are suitable for teh person in question.

Like Yoga, not all of it is appropriate for everyone.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hey DavidJ,
    Thanks for the response.

I value your input a lot.

Not to answer my own question, but I also think another good translation for "gong" is "skill" so being (breath skill) or work it seems that some of the breaths for instance "dan tien" or reverse abdominal breathing may cause internal pressure that may change the blood flow. Now in normal circumstances this would circulate the blood and cause oxygen to nourish the organs etc... but given the person is pregnant I wasn't sure if this is necessarily a good thing.

So in your opinion would you say that persay ba duan jin and maybe zhan zhuang would be safe practices?

Thanks

my teacher and his wife (a NYS licensed PT) both teach a form of feminine qigong called Tai Yin (the classes are for women only); their one caveat is that they will not take on a new student who is already pregnant, which I think makes sense, given that, especially in the early phase (first trimester), the likelihood of spontaneous miscarriage is always higher, and you never know how the system will react to some sort of input that it has never experience before, and if it's a new student, you don't really know them that well, in terms of what modifications they might need to their practice during pregnancy; of course, if she is already is practicing, they will be able to ascertain what is appropriate for her during that time, what she can keep doing and / or what she may need to change or temporarily discontinue
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 05-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.