Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Life 'Superheroes'

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I have beat up homeless people before. I beat one almost to death. Another I had to chase down, and thought I might not catch him, but did. And if I ever run up on a dude wearing tights and a cape I plan to beat him near to death too. It is a good way to practice your skills. You don't have to hold back, and can even do dim Mak if you want to.
    Wow are you apart of the same organization?

Yea i got tricked into joining didnt know what i was getting my self into...dont u feel bad for em afta you beat em? i know i use too...but afterawhile its like a job just becomes repeptitious!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

The 'Superhero' trend

This has started to get a bit boring now Up pops yet another Martial Art Hero in our London Metro newspaper, but this time he's a Ninja!

Thing is, we have spent the last 5 years branding the 'knife' an illegal weapon and trying to deter kids from carrying one (or two!) and then some wannabe Superhero is promoted like this

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853040-s...an-fight-crime
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

we actually had one do some crime fighting a few years ago, I'm not even kidding...

http://www.twjc.co.uk/superhero.html
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8904634.html
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Seattle's superhero PHOENIX JONES arrested.

Seattle’s most famous masked crusader was arrested early morning October 9th 2011, by police after he allegedly pepper sprayed a group leaving a nightclub in Pioneer Square, according to SPD.

Jones was not immediately available for comment, but his spokesman Peter Tangen said he has seen videotape of the incident, which tells a different story.

Tangen says Jones had heard about a large fight where “somebody had just been body-slammed onto the concrete” and was rushing to help.

Jones apparently deployed his pepper spray to break up the fight.

there are definitely some oddballs about; another in my current location...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-campaign.html
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    there are definitely some oddballs about; another in my current location...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-campaign.html
    Hmmm I wonder if that's a viral Ninja Star campaign.

Which Numbnuts from Bullshido are these?

Ok, who from Bushido is dressing up in super hero costumes and fighting crime?

http://vimeo.com/30307440

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Ok, who from Bushido is dressing up in super hero costumes and fighting crime?

http://vimeo.com/30307440
    Well here's your answer.

Real life super hereos go an try an break up a crip and blood fight...

Real Life superhereos die a cowards death!

On their knees with the gun in they mouth saying please dont shoot!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

More on Phoenix

There's some vids on the other end of the link below.
    Phoenix Jones to the rescue ... again
    by KING 5 News
    NWCN.com
    Posted on November 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

SEATTLE -- Phoenix Jones, the city's self-anointed superhero, jumped into action again early Sunday morning, helping detain a man accused of stabbing another man until Seattle Police arrived.

The incident occurred near Belltown, according to a police report. Witnesses said Ian B. Scarlett brandished a knife and assaulted a man near the intersection of Lenora St. and 3rd Ave. At that point, Jones and several others began following Scarlett as he walked away from the scene. When Scarlett hailed a cab at 7th Ave. and Blanchard St., Jones and the others prevented the cab from leaving.

Police arrived soon after and took Scarlett into custody. Scarlett denied attacking the victim, and police were unable to find the knife used in the attack, though witnesses reported seeing Scarlett throw it away as he was getting into the cab.

Scarlett was later booked into King County Jail. The victim, whose name was blacked out of the police report, was transported to Haborview Medical Center for treatment. The SPD report notes that the victim had a warrant outstanding for violation of the controlled substances act.

Photographer Ryan McNamee was one of the witnesses to the incident and posted the video below of some of what occurred as Jones and the others chased Scarlett:

Phoenix Jones, whose real name is Ben Fodor, is a self-appointed watchguard, patrolling bar and club-heavy parts of town like Capitol Hill and Belltown to stop muggings and other crime. He was arrested Oct. 9 after he was involved in a brawl outside a Seattle club. He said he was trying to break up an assault; some witnesses accused Jones of attacking them.

The end result of the Oct. 9 incident was that city prosecutors opted not to file charges against Jones/Fodor.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...to "Real Life 'Superheroes'". I also moved this from the southern forum to the main (but maybe it should be off topic). One of the other martial arts mags just did an article on this phenomena, but I can't find it now.

These people need to watch Mirageman, not Kick Ass.
    I would recommend Rainn Wilson's "Super" as mandatory watching.
    As emotionally misguided people adopted superhero personas go, this one is pretty real. Also starring Elen Page.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Castle

There was a Castle episode about superheroes too. It was repeated last night, which is what jogged my memory about Phoenix. You can see it for free on the web.

Heroes and Villians

Castle and Beckett suspect a vigilante is behind the murder of an ex-con.
    Hah. The misspelled 'villains'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

in a rural town a few hours out of vancouver there were a group of kids who lured peda[hiles to public spaces then dressed up as superheroes and verbally assaulted them with things like "this man is here to have sex with a child!!!" and stuff like that. anyways, the cops were pis$ed right off and made them stop.

my question is this:
    if a few 16 year olds can do this, why dont the police? i mean, sure they do a bit. but how many arrests do you think they get a year? even in the big cities?

i know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that i could net about 10 a day without entrapping anyone. all you have to do is log in as a kid and respond favorably to the perverts. sink the hook and real em in. and if it were up to me, i'd continue the metaphor and hit em over the head with a club till they were dead. why even allow these folks to live? if u can prove beyond a doubt that somebody for sure 100% went after a child in that manner, by all means, kill em...

Phoenix who? Oh forget him.

It's all about Chinese Redbud Woman. I've only cut&pasted a few pix. There are more if you follow the link.

Female superhero Chinese Redbud Woman appears in Beijing
    December 31st, 2011 by Key | Posted in News

From Netease:

This May, a female “superhero” appeared in Hong Kong, wearing low-cut black tights and blue mask, called herself “Zijing Woman” (紫荆侠) or “Chinese Redbud Woman”. She handed out food and cash to some Hong Kong residents. The mysterious masked female vigilante received great attention in Hong Kong.

However, on December 24, a “female superhero” also appeared in Beijing, wearing exactly the same outfit as the “Chinese Redbud Woman” of Hong Kong.

“Today is my first day as the Chinese Redbud Woman, feeling a little nervous. Already prepared the military coats and food for the elderlies, also many thanks to the hand warner friend gave me.” She called herself Chinese Redbud Woman in her microblog, mysteriously appeared on the cold streets of Beijing on Christmas Eve, in front of the Wangfujing Bookstore, at the Xidan subway station and other places, distributed clothing and gifts to beggars and homeless. Beijing residents and netizens also started to talk about her.

Who is this beautiful woman? Why is she doing that? Reporter contacted the “Beijing Chinese Redbud Woman” via private message on microblog. She said that it does not matter who she is and also stated that what she did was not a publicity stunt, “just wanted to help these people who are in need.”

According to Sichuan Online:

Recently, since the female superhero “Chinese Redbud Woman” appeared in Hong Kong, another “Chinese Redbud Woman” also appeared in Beijing, also wearing low-cut black tights and blue mask, claimed on her microblog that she will continue to spread the warmth. Only a dozen of tweets, she already had over 7,000 fans. “Beijing Chinese Redbud Woman’s” first activity was on Christmas Eve: first gave the military coat to the old man on Xiushui Street, then sent food and coats to the elders in from of the Wangfujing Bookstore. Because Beijing Chinese Redbud Woman was only wearing a black veil, the old lady kept asking her if she is cold…

After reading Beijing Zijing Woman’s microblog, netizens both praised and criticized her, however there is only one consensus, her attire is not so suitable for the winter.

Some comments:

“What a body ~~”

“This is another kind of charity, sexy charity.”

“For sure her motivation is to become famous. Is it necessary to dress like this when doing good?”

“Her breasts are really big.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, I so should have researched this earlier

Bauhinia Heroine was mentioned in passing on our The Iceman Cometh thread because they're making a movie about her. Some think that the appearance of Chinese Redbud Woman is a publicity stunt for the upcoming film.

A Rich, Sexy “Bauhinia Heroine” is Giving Money and Food to Hong Kong’s Poor
    Michael Suen 0 Comments June 1, 2011

Update: The real-life story of the Bauhinia Heroine is being made into a movie.

A recent YouTube video caught a masked female crusader distributing food and money to poor residents in the city. But in her flamboyant blue mask, cleavage-baring outfit, she seems more of a movie character than she does a real-world person. It’s not coincidental: in an interview with the South China Morning Post, the self-styled “Bauhinia Heroine” (named after the city’s official flower) acknowledged that her inspiration for the persona came from a character of the same name played by Connie Chan Po-chu in the 1965 film, Black Rose.

But there’s also someone behind the mask, a secret identity which has been subject to much speculation. Some have mistakenly proposed that the Bauhinia Heroine is in fact Wan Baobao, the mainland jewelry designer, based on their similar physical attributes and backgrounds. According to the masked woman, she is around the age of 30, was educated in the United States and England, hails from a notable family, is a single businesswoman with a six-digit monthly salary, and lives in the Mid-Levels area.

Her motive, she claims, is to call attention to the injustice of Hong Kong’s economic policies, particularly the recent case of the government’s cash handout, in which both rich and poor alike received $6,000 Hong Kong dollars (about $770 U.S. dollars). The appearance of the Bauhinia Heroine comes at a time when the city is facing a devastatingly wide income gap — already the worst in the world, according to SCMP last month:

Hong Kong’s Gini coefficient – which measures income inequality on a scale of 0 to 1, where 0 is perfect equality and 1 is perfect inequality – rose from 0.518 in 1996 to 0.525 in 2001, and stood at 0.533 in 2006, the most recent year for which data is available. The figure showed that wealth disparity in the city was the most serious in the world.

The poorest 10 per cent of families became even poorer, living on HK$3,000 a month, HK$100 less than in 2006. Families in the middle income bracket brought home HK$500 more a month last year, from HK$15,000 in 2006 to HK$15,500.

The top household incomes averaged 25.7 times the lowest last year – the highest in 20 years.

So the justification is there. But why the secrecy for this woman’s charity? ”I hide my identity because I don’t want others to say my purpose is to make myself and my family famous,” she told The Standard. Okay, fair, but why the dramatic flair? The Bauhina Heroine hopes her act – eyebrow-raising attire included — will attract journalists and followers alike and convince them to also help the poor.

All the money which she has given away is reportedly her own. So far, she’s donated $8,000 HKD (about $1,030 USD) in food and money to residents living in the districts of Sham Shui Po and Jordan, some of whom live in literal cage homes. Thousands still eat and sleep in 15-square-foot cubicles in old tenement flats, but even these meager living conditions are being threatened as real estate developers buy the properties, forcing their residents to vacate the building.

Now, the Bauhinia Heroine has even set up an account on Facebook, under the name “Hongkong Flower,” with 2,701 friends as of this blog posting. In her “About” section, she writes:

電影《Kick Ass》在美國掀起熱潮,更引發一場「真實超級英雄熱」,普通人化身英雄,救助貧苦、打擊罪案,So Fun!我的美國朋友也成了超級英雄,他也號召我加入,因此紫荊俠誕生了。我將會四出救助貧苦,既然政府亂 派錢,不如等我修正,我將擇日出動,先派我的六千元……

The movie Kick-Ass set off the “real-life superhero craze.” Ordinary people changed into heroes, rescuing the poor and combating crime — so fun! My American friend also became a superhero. He called on me to participate, and thus the Bauhinia Heroine was born. I will go out and help the poor, since the government’s cash handout is a mess. It would be better for me to amend the situation. I will choose an auspicious day to start taking action, when I’ll first hand out my own $6,000 dollars…

Several we’ve spoken to have submitted the theory that this is all some kind of marketing ploy. We would be unsurprised. But we would be unsurprised if it turned out to be real, also. Bizarre circumstances call for bizarre solutions. Either way, let’s hope that the awareness brought on by this whole gimmick is not overshadowed by a mask and cleavage — which, we admit, it can easily be.

But we needn’t only speculate. If you feel impelled, take action by donating to Oxfam Hong Kong or local community organizations such as St. James’ Settlement, which focuses on providing support to low-income families and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance households in Hong Kong.
    This needs its own movie thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips