Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Real Life 'Superheroes'

a like button wouldn't be so bad here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

cop superheroes

Dallas police officers become off-duty superheroes

Kelley Chinn/Special Contributor
    Sgt. Merlin Lofton (left), dressed as Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe, introduces Sharron Christian as Storm from X-Men and police Officer Ricardo Campbell as Batman.

By TRISTAN HALLMAN
    Staff Writer
    thallman@dallasnews.com
    Published: 24 December 2013 08:37 PM
    Updated: 24 December 2013 08:51 PM

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Dallas police Officer Damon Cole.

After a day spent fighting crime in his police uniform, Cole often wears a Superman costume.

He recently joined the nonprofit group Heroes, Cops and Kids, so the new super suit is a necessity.

“When I got it, I was so hyped up that I put it on at work,” he said with a laugh. “I get a lashing from work. Cops are notorious at that — they rib you bad.”

Cole doesn’t care. He and other Dallas police officers and volunteers in the group regularly appear at parades, school assemblies and other events dressed up like superheroes as a way to mentor children, encourage their parents and have a little fun.

Unlike the Dallas Police Department’s official youth operations, all of their work is done off the clock and paid for out of their own pockets. But the goal — keeping kids on the straight and narrow — is the same.

The nonprofit, which hopes to expand its donor base, has lofty ambitions after its biggest year since starting in 2011. Police Chief David Brown said the group has “been a big hit so far.” And the calendar for next year is already filling up.

“Everybody wants to come and take pictures,” said Sgt. Merlin Lofton, who plays Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe. “They think it’s cool for Facebook and everything. And we can use that pathway to make a positive impact on their life.”

Lofton runs the organization’s website, heroescopsandkids.org. He is part of the group’s brain trust along with Officer Ricardo Campbell and Officer Ray McCampbell, also known as Batman and the Green Lantern, respectively.

Campbell and McCampbell, who are close friends, started the group after realizing they shared a love for superheroes and comic books.

Superheroes and cops basically “do the same thing,” McCampbell said. “They fight crime, they come into school to get the bad guy and save the day.”

Before creating the nonprofit, Campbell had transformed a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro he bought for $600 into a fully decked out Batmobile.

Eventually, they walked in costume in a parade. The children’s reactions sold them on the idea of starting a group of super-friends.

McCampbell was already no stranger to performing. He was a musician in the 1980s with The Mac Band, which had a Billboard R&B No. 1 hit called “Roses Are Red” and starred in a McDonald’s Super Bowl ad.

McCampbell and Campbell brought Lofton aboard, as well as Campbell’s wife April — also known as Batgirl. Sharron Christian, a friend who is not an officer, is also part of the team. She usually plays Storm from X-Men.

The group appears at events at schools, shopping malls, hospitals, charity events and more. There were more than 30 events this year.

“We haven’t turned down anyone yet,” Campbell said.

Each individual pays for his or her costume and to participate in the events. Members said they collectively spent about $10,000 out of their own pockets each year. The costumes alone can cost in the thousands.

They prefer paying for the program through donations rather than being sponsored by the police department. A city program would have more limitations, said Campbell, who sprinkles in religious principles and quotes from Scripture while mentoring kids.

They also want to be able to choose their members. Officers known to internal affairs investigators need not apply. “Who wants to have an organization full of knuckleheads?” McCampbell said.

And they like taking the program beyond Dallas city limits.

Their dream is to create a “Hall of Justice,” a boarding house of sorts for wayward kids. They hope to find sponsors to make it a reality.

The officers said they currently mentor about 50 children of all ages.

Campbell said the group tries to push parental involvement and teach parents to be superheroes, too.

And the interaction with parents can help officers with their day job, Lofton said.

“When we don’t wear the police uniform, we’re more accessible to the people who are scared of police,” he said. “And that’s the way we get parents and adults involved in crime fighting.”

The work and planning for the group are done outside their police duties, family time and off-duty security gigs.

“It takes up all your free time — it really does,” Lofton said. “It’s just something you do to make this community a better place to live.”

They said it’s worth it when they see children smile — even in a hospital bed.

“Some of them might be on their last breath, but as soon as you walk into that room, their eyes just light up,” April Campbell said. “You would think we’re the real people from the movie because they are just so excited.”
    It would be great if they made an off-duty arrest dressed as such.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More like an arch villain

Gotta hand it to this woman. She's got balls.

Chinese fraudster fakes superhuman powers to rob victims
    A convicted con artist faces trial in Beijing for allegedly tricking her victims out of thousands of pounds by posing as a “superhuman” Communist Party official and police agent named “Mr Li"

Ms Yang regaled her girlfriend with tales of how 'Mr Li' had helped Interpol crack 'major' international cases

By Tom Phillips, Shanghai
    2:06PM GMT 18 Feb 2014

A Chinese con-woman created a “superhuman” alter ego and claimed she possessed powers of invisibility in order to dupe her victims out of at least £12,000.

The 54-year-old fraudster, named only as Ms Yang, tricked two female lovers and one pensioner into believing she was actually “Mr Li”, a “superhuman” police officer who not only worked for both Interpol and the Chinese Ministry of Finance but was also able to make himself disappear.

The confidence trickster’s supernatural cover was blown last August when one victim discovered she had been sharing a bed not with Mr Li but with a convicted fraudster who was in fact a woman.

Ms Yang’s bizarre campaign of deception began in early 2013, according to the Beijing News. Short of cash, she allegedly faked documents in order to gain access to an internet forum for middle-aged singletons. There, Ms Yang posed as “Mr Li” – a senior Communist Party official who boasted physical attributes that are normally the reserve of Marvel superheroes.

Under the guise of “Mr Li”, Ms Yang set about identifying and seducing her targets, spinning them a tale so far-fetched it must have appeared credible.

Mr Li’s first victim was Ms Zhang, a 48-year-old who appears to have been instantly charmed by her suitor’s claims to be both a globetrotting police officer and senior civil servant with the ability to vanish into thin air.

Their relationship began in March and quickly blossomed. By June, with Ms Zhang head-over-heels in love, the couple moved in together.

Maintaining the farce appears to have stretched Mr Li’s superhuman skills to their limits. Ms Yang cut her hair short and deepened her voice when regaling her girlfriend with tales of how “Mr Li” had helped Interpol crack “major” international cases by using his magical powers.

Ms Zhang - described as “quite superstitious” by the Beijing News - was utterly taken in. When “Mr Li” claimed he had lost his wallet and needed cash to “receive international friends”, she lent her high-flying partner a total of 120,000 yuan (£11,840).

“Mr Li” promised to repay her and said the funds would help him “do things for the country”.

But the debt was never settled. Instead, in August, “Mr Li” wrapped himself in a distinctly human cloak of invisibility and vanished from his partner’s life.

When a heartbroken Ms Zhang sought out her absent lover at the Ministry of Finance she was told no such man existed.

Meanwhile, “Mr Li” moved onto his next target, duping another lover, this time a 52-year-old woman called Ms Song, out of a laptop computer.

A third victim, a pensioner who was not named, lost around £400.

Ms Yang’s fabrications finally unravelled when Ms Zhang approached police looking for “Mr Li” only to be told that her crime-busting lover was, in fact, a 54-year-old woman who had previously spent 11 years in jail for fraud.

Ms Yang will now go on trial for the second time, according to prosecutors from Shijingshan in western Beijing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Awesome. Literally! Huge balls.

Shadow

Almost put this in the Ninjas! thread.

Father-of-two keeps the streets safe – dressed as a ninja
    August 12, 2011 | by SWNS Reporter

A crime-fighting father-of-two has taken to the streets at night to protect the public and foil dozens of attacks – dressed as a NINJA.

Father-of-two keeps the streets safe - dressed as a ninja

By day martial arts expert Ken Andre, 33, spends time looking after his wife Leigh, 27, and their two young sons like any normal dad.

But by night, the ex-military guard dons his black Japanese Ninjutsu robes and heads out onto the streets as nimble superhero ”Shadow”.

The vigilante, who lets out a ‘growling roar’ war cry as he leaps from the darkness to combat the forces of evil, goes out equipped with a weapon and even wears a HEARING AID to amplify sound.

He claims residents with anti-social problems are now calling him to get involved in their issues after he began patrolling the streets up to four nights-a-week.

The fearless superman has settled scores of disputes and even left one crook tied to a lamppost for the police to find.

Brave Ken – aka Shadow – said Today: ”When I was seven or eight I used to see my mum being beaten up by various boyfriends.

”I vowed not to let it happen again to my friends and family. So I grew up from a little child into a weapon.

”Even today when I hear cries, it sets something off inside – like a trigger. Something calls me.

”I am a force for good and have been doing this for many years.

”I have walked down the streets and no-one has ever seen me – even in urban areas.”

The unemployed dad, who has been learning the Japanese art of Ninjutsu since he was a youngster, stalks the shadows of Yeovil, Somerset, when the sun goes down.

He sometimes spends all night out on the streets, waiting to swoop in and save victims of crime – wearing a hearing aid to pick up the faintest cries for help

Ken battles muggers, drug pushers, abusive boyfriends and boy racers with just his martial arts skills and a wooden pole.

The superhero insists he tries to settle the disputes as calmly as possible, but will use force if required, before calmly melting back into the shadows before police arrive.

He also has developed a special roaring war cry to help disperse crowds of youths.

Ken started his remarkable night-time jaunts after him and his brother came across a group of thugs beating up a man six years ago.

He said the gang members were so alarmed when he jumped out in his ninja outfit, they bolted.

The vigilante revealed: ”I do not look for trouble. But if there’s a problem and I can help, I do it with my ability using minimum force.

”I don’t think I am a superhero. I just have the confidence and skills to tackle situations.

”I will go and assess the problem. If the problem is, for example, an abusive boyfriend, I will see if I can resolve it by chatting.

”I want to solve it without violence but I’m prepared for it, if it flares up.

”There are nights where I don’t come across anything which is great. I can concentrate on meditating and training.

”But over the years there have been a lot of times where I have intervened – dozens.”

The former Army security guard spends up to four nights a week on the streets and has tackled many criminals.

One time he saw a thief burgling his car while out training.

He then brought down the hapless crooks by throwing NUNCHUCKS at his legs.

Ken said: ”I tied him to the lamppost using his own legs and called the police. That is just one example of what I can do.

”A mate of mine had his car and property vandalised. He felt trapped in his house. The police told him to move and he was at his wits’ end.

”He contacted me for help. I went down there and stayed in the shadows. I was a few metres away from them and they didn’t know I was there.

”I won’t repeat when then happened but the problem went away.”

The crime-fighter has devised his own interpretation of a ninja soldier – called Tengujutsu – after years of research.

He also says wife Leigh and two young sons, Troy, aged three, and Drew, aged four, have fully accepted his night-time activities.

Ken added: ”I have made contact with some of the greatest ninjas in the world.

”I have created my own form by studying martial arts and the human anatomy. You need to learn how to break down the body quick.

”It’s about using minimal force but having the most impact with surprise and knowing where to strike.

”Leigh is completely used to it. I made sure I told her about it and explained it to her.

”Maybe she thought it was weird at first but she knows it’s who I am. I have even told and showed her how to be aware of her surroundings and given her advice.”

Avon and Somerset Police insisted they did not condone someone putting themselves in harms’ way.

A spokesman for the force said: ”We would never encourage people to take the law into their own hands or put themselves in danger.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some people just want to be a hero so so bad. Dude has some serious issues.

Dark Guardian

There is a pic if you follow the link, but it's not of Pollak in his Dark Guardian costume, which is a major oversight with this article.
    By Samar KhurshidPublished: July 27, 2014
    A real-life superhero teaches children heroism, respect and martial arts

More than any other fictional comic book character, Batman proves that you don’t need superpowers to be a hero, just strict discipline, unswaying moral certitude, mental and physical training. Of course, millions of dollars in the bank also help.

While 30-year-old Staten Island resident Chris Pollak may not have the money, he does have the training, dedication and the costume. At night, he dons a red-and-blue hoodie and becomes Dark Guardian, an everyman superhero who patrols neighborhoods and fights crime with other like-minded individuals. This month, he launched the Hero program, a self-defense and martial arts class that teaches children, between 3 and 12 years old, lessons derived from comic book heroes.

Pollak’s origin story does not involve alien planets, super serums or radioactive spiders like his DC and Marvel comic counterparts. He started training in mixed martial arts when he was 16. Now, as an instructor at LaSalle Mixed Martial Arts in Staten Island, he is experienced in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kempo karate, Muay Thai kickboxing and other hand-to-hand combat techniques. He had always been a huge fan of comic books and was inspired by Superman. “He always upholds certain ideals no matter what,” he said.

At 18, Pollak decided to adopt similar ideals and make some positive changes in both his life and that of others. He discovered people on the Internet who shared his passion for justice and they started foot patrols in neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Harlem and the Bronx. He eventually created an alter ego to call attention to problems in the community and to their work.

Twelve years later, Pollak’s costume has evolved and so has his company of crime fighters. He now patrols alongside heroes named Spectre, Spider and Dusk to name a few. They are all part of the New York Hero Initiative, a citizen watch group that launched a year ago to target crime and gather information for the police while staying within the law. They also help the homeless with care packages of food, water and essential supplies. On more than one occasion, Pollak, who wears a bulletproof vest on his beat, has dealt with drug dealers and gang members. Perhaps the most threatened he ever felt was when a pimp flashed a gun at the group on a patrol through Harlem River Park. They promptly reported him to the police and he was arrested for possession of drugs and a concealed weapon.

Despite the danger, he believes in standing up for what is right. And that’s what the Hero program is all about. Amid kicks and punches, roundhouses and hooks, Pollak sits on the rubber mat at LaSalle and ten children huddle around him. “What do you think is Superman’s greatest power?” he asks. Hands go up as the children eagerly vie to answer. “He’s strong”…“He can fly” …“He can jump over buildings”…“He fires lasers from his eyes.”

All good answers, Pollak says, but “his greatest strength is that he always does the right thing.” The class involves basic fighting technique but also tutorials in confidence, body language and how to stand up to bullying, to never throw the first punch but also to never back down when a punch is thrown.

While the children love the idea that they can emulate their favorite costumed characters, parents are more than pleased with the results.

“It’s not about high-flying antics. It teaches them respect,” says Mike Schneider whose four-year-old son Philip is obsessed with superheroes. “And It’s not about learning to fight, it’s about learning to listen,” adds the proud father.

Richard Young had enrolled his son Raffaele, 5, at LaSalle long before the Hero program began. “(The program) made it better, “ he said. “The kids can relate to it. One of the important things is that they talk about discouraging bullying. Chris is very engaging and he cares about the children. He’s not just killing time with them.”

As the class ended, the children were rewarded with high-fives and stickers on their belts. As they bowed to their sensei and scampered away to their parents, Pollak left them with one last piece of advice.

“Remember! There’s a hero in everybody and every little action makes a difference.”

First ‘watch’

The Guardian Angels have been patrolling the streets since 1979. They are an organized neighborhood watch that work closely with the police department and educational institutions. Dennis “Super-stretch” Torres, director of their Community Service Center in Washington Heights said he admires Pollak’s efforts, if not all his methods.

“We don’t dress up because that can be dangerous,” he said. “He has to be careful when he goes out patrolling. You’re always in a delicate situation and we’ve had six fallen angels over the years. He should also be working with the police department. That’s what we do. We always make sure to notify them. Otherwise he’ll be considered a vigilante. I do agree with what he’s doing in the class. You have to catch them young these days. If he’s teaching them to help others, that’s great. As long as he keeps fantasy out of it. It keeps their minds busy and their spirits pure. There aren’t too many people doing what he’s doing.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From Japan of course

This one seems so obvious given Tokusatsu

Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
    Cara Clegg 4 days ago

Who said heroes don’t exist? In Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan they most certainly do!

Read on to meet the IBALIGER robot-superhero group and the female member who netizens have been describing as “too sexy”.

Jikuu Senshi IBALIGER (Space-time soldier IBALIGER) are a group of IRL heroes based in Ibaraki, north-east of Tokyo. They first appeared in 2007 and now go around doing shows and meet-and-greets at various events and festivals.

IBALIGER aren’t official mascots of the prefecture so this is all private, paid work, but being heroes they also often do free events for charity and have been especially involved with victims of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. So without further ado, let’s introduce some of the IBALIGER characters.

IBALIGER R (Twitter)

The main humanoid robot who took over from IBALIGER 1st. Special attacks: Space-time Smashing Chrono Break and Space-time Fist Brave Impact. Obviously.

Photo: Photozou

IBALIGER BLACK (Twitter)

A fearsome fighter. Special attacks: Space-time Torpedo Fist and Space-time Invasion Chrono Remake.

Photo: Photozou

IBALIGER 1st (Twitter)

The IBALIGER prototype.

APhoto: Twitter

IBA GIRL (Twitter)

However cool the other guys are, it’s one of their female members, IBAGIRL, that’s been getting the most attention online. She’s a support droid for the group and is supposed to be a humanoid robot, although she manages some very flexible poses in her skin-tight suit. Her orange-and-white uniform is adorned with sweet heart shapes that may appeal to more feminine tastes, like the pink Power Ranger I always wanted to be when I was younger. IBAGIRL’s special attack is Eternal Wind Flare. Check out some of this lycra-suited cutie’s photos below.

While they might not be running around stopping crime, the IBALIGER group brings fun and a fighting spirit to Ibaraki Prefecture in the much-loved Super Sentai style. Japan will surely never tire of its faceless heroes dressed in head-to-toe lycra.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enter to win PROJECT SUPERHERO Autographed by E. Paul Zehr!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for PROJECT SUPERHERO Autographed by E. Paul Zehr! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 3/05/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Superheroes on Skyscrapers - Benjamin Von Wong

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The birth of Rapi:tldier!

A two-fer this Monday morn...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Haha I had not checked this out

I miss being Alfred. They're 30 & 35 now and just don't get to the bat cave these days.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Jones just earned his own separate thread....on the MMA forum!

More on Phoenix here on this thread here:
    p=1136818
    p=1145877
    p=1237435
    p=1197857
    p=1156645
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Superheroes for Guinness

It's DC. Wonder if there's also a parallel record for Marvel.

Superheroes hope to break costume world record at Brent Cross

Superheroes gathered to break a world record at Brent Cross

First published 2 hours ago in News by Jenni Reid

Customers may have wondered what Batman, Wonderwoman and Superman were doing in a Toys 'R' Us car park in Brent Cross.

But hundreds of costumed superheroes descended on the store to help set a Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of people dressed as DC Comics characters over a 24-hour period on Saturday.

The fans met at the same time as thousands around the world for the massive event organised by DC and Warner Bros.

While superheroes came together in Australia, the Philippines, Taiwan, Spain, Brazil, France, America and in other countries, the UK hosted meet-ups in Birmingham, Warrington, Cardiff, and Hendon.

Officials from Guinness World Records are currently calculating the total number of people who got involved.

As well as the most famous names from the DC canon, costumes included The Flash, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Green Arrow.

John Miller from Elstree went to the Brent Cross with his wife Elaine and sons Johnny, three, and six-month-old George.

He said: “Johnny is really into superheroes so we thought it was the perfect event for him. We told him to get into his favourite superhero outfit - as he has many - but we didn't tell him where we were going as we wanted it to be a surprise.

“He was very excited when he saw the other superheroes at Toys 'R' Us. The atmosphere was lovely and everyone involved was really into it and made it a special experience.

“He got his picture taken with the adult characters and got his face painted. We also played lots of superhero games and he won quite a few prizes.”

Jackie Pointon, Brent Cross Toys 'R' Us store manager, said: “The people who came created such a great buzz at the store.

“There were all ages taking part, full families dressed up as Batman from a six-month-old baby dressed in a romper to a whole family dressed as Batman and Robin. The little ones really loved their Superman outfits. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing so many comic characters in full dress-up in the store.”

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips