Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what will the 2010-2020 martial arts fad be?

what will the 2010-2020 martial arts fad be?

70s was kung fu (Bruce Lee, Kung Fu the series)
    80s was NINJA (tons of ninja movies, posers like Ashida Kim)
    90s was the beginnings of MMA (well, late 90s) and BJJ (Gracies)
    2000s was MMA (Couture, Liddell)
    2010s will be??????
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Space MMA.

Free fall martial arts will become the next big thing, in a sphere w/ large padded columns criss crossing it. It'll be great for viewer consumption: Hight tech pre-fight shows involving the fighters launching into space and whatnot, and during the fight, any blood shed will just float around the ring in little blobs. The moves will be crazy, the personas even crazier...

...and in the end, grappling will become the standard free fall martial art.

Unless the whole thing trends more towards space boxing with magnetic boots.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

More likely, it'll be weapons based MMA that gains ground.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 04-29-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: grammar. Equals bad,
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

mutant shaolin ninja robots (doing jiu jitsu)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

zombie avoidance and magnetic force manipulation
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Glorified Kickboxing

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    More likely, it'll be weapons based MMA that gains ground.
    What qualifies as weapons based mma?

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    well it will be more like glorified target practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

On a serious note, I think the MMA craze is just starting... I mean, its 2009 and we've only had what? 3 movies about MMA? We need at least four sequels to "Never Back Down" before we're done with this craze

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I dunno, Dog Brothers?

------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    The irony is, had he known the cosmic fighting method before the aliens came, they could never have abducted him. How often our ignorance leads us to a figurative anal probing. The First Lesson of the cosmic fighting is that our ignorance can also lead us to a literal anal probing.

The Second Lesson of cosmic fighting is that there is no true pain for he with a scientifically unremarkable anus.

The Third Lesson of Cosmic Fighting is that all life is made up of remarkable arses and unremarkable arses, and they are called The Petals of The Great Brown Flower.

The aura of the cosmic fighter rises up from these principles, matched with the cosmic guidelines:

1) Cosmic fight fair
    2) Wash your uniform
    3) Bottled Water is $2.00
    4) Cash, grass, or ass: Nobody trains for free!
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 04-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.

After the UFC merges with WWE and tag team MMA becomes history promoters will scramble to find the next big thing, like group fights, weapons matches, android & cyborg battles.

Ex-Wives vs New Brides will be a big hit on the Internet Entertainment website for a brief time.

The craze on the streets (read: strip mall schools) will be the ethnic arts when everyone lays claim to some ancient African Martial Arts, old Irish Drunken Fighting, Aztec Grappling, Apache Hand Battling, Easter Island Sumo and Canadian ***** Slap.

Stem Cell research will eventually lead us to Eye-4N-Eye matches held around the world by offering replacement body parts for every fighter so matches using live weapons will be the top of the line entertainment.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Karate.

SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    After the UFC merges with WWE and tag team MMA becomes history promoters will scramble to find the next big thing, like group fights, weapons matches, android & cyborg battles.

Ex-Wives vs New Brides will be a big hit on the Internet Entertainment website for a brief time.

The craze on the streets (read: strip mall schools) will be the ethnic arts when everyone lays claim to some ancient African Martial Arts, old Irish Drunken Fighting, Aztec Grappling, Apache Hand Battling, Easter Island Sumo and Canadian ***** Slap.

Stem Cell research will eventually lead us to Eye-4N-Eye matches held around the world by offering replacement body parts for every fighter so matches using live weapons will be the top of the line entertainment.
    I think we will eventually see some nice contact weapons competitions. We are probably 30 years out from that, however.

It's not a martial art but hopefully we are only a few years out from getting a real "Running Man" game.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.