Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Zodiac: Armour of God 3

Trailer is up

Nice!

I just noticed we don't have threads on the previous installments of AoG. They are mentioned in a few threads, but AoG predates the forum.

龍兄虎弟 (Long Hing Fu Dai) Armour Of God (1987)
    aka the Amazon fight

飛鷹計劃 (Fei Ying Gai Waak) Armour of God II - Operation Condor (1991)
    aka the Nazis in the windtunnel fight
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not the last...duh

In regards to the post above.

Jackie Chan Has (Not) Made His Last Action Film
    By Tim Newcomb | @tdnewcomb | May 22, 2012 | +

Loic Venance / AFP / Getty Images
    Jackie Chan arrives to take part in the TV show "Le Grand Journal" on the set of French TV Canal+ during the 65th Cannes film festival on May 19, 2012 in Cannes.

The big entertainment news over the weekend was that Jackie Chan had announced his retirement from action movies during a Cannes Film Festival press conference promoting Chinese Zodiac, his latest action film. But the Hong Kong-born stunt actor soon took to Facebook to quell the nasty rumors and say he won’t retire from action movies, just partake in “less of the life risking stunts.” Blame his English, if you want, for the mix-up.

“Today I was shocked when I woke up and read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing action movies,” he writes. “I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies.” Case closed.

What Chan meant to say is that he’s a bit weary of risking his life every time he performs all his own stunts. “After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working,” the 58-year-old actor writes. Chan’s film career started in the 1970s in Hong Kong. Chinese Zodiac marks his 100th movie.

In his autobiography, I Am Jackie Chan, he addressed his multiple injuries, including the brain hemorrhage he suffered while filming Armor of God that almost killed him and left a hole in his skull. He also nearly lost an eye on the set of Drunken Master, dislocated a cheekbone—a cheekbone!—while filming Supercop and broke his nose three times while doing the stunts for three separate movies. The list goes on.

During the press conference Chan admitted he was getting really tired of doing so many stunts and then added, “This is my last action film, I tell you, I’m not young any more.” You can see where the confusion popped up. Chan went on to talk about how action movies have simply turned too violent for him.

Chan says he will continue to work on international action movies and—with emoticon—writes, “I will keep improving my English :-).”
    BTW, I netflix streamed AoG1 last night as I could barely remember it. Netflix streaming has the US '95 release under the title of Operation Condor 2 and it digitally blurs the topless scene in the beginning. It's such a cheesey film, cheesey in that old skool kung fu sort of way, with generous Mitsubishi car placement and some absolutely absurd plot twists (especially the conclusion to the car chase). This was also the film that almost killed Jackie. It has one of his worst stunt accidents in the NG. It was a minor stunt really, but Jackie takes a hard hit to the skull. It makes his hair length change - a glaring continuity error - as he allegedly was hiding the scar. That final Amazon fight is still a great HK cinema WTF? scene. Where ever did that idea come from? It's glorious, in that cheesey old skool kung fu way, but such a non sequitur. It inspired me google Lola Forner in a 'where are they now?' search - looks like she's been doing telenovelas until about a half decade ago. Despite the cheesiness of AoG1, it did quite well at the HK box office.

AoG2 is a much better film, which I watched again a few months ago. That one remains a great Jackie Chan flick that's family friendly.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Poster dropped at Cannes

Poster of Jackie Chan's Film "CZ12" Released in Cannes
    2012-05-18 13:51:53 Chinese Films

The promotional trailer for Jackie Chan's "CZ12" [Video courtesy of Mtime.com]

Although no Chinese films are officially part of this year's Cannes International Film Festival, the event is still proving valuable territory for Chinese filmmakers hoping to promote their projects.

Martial arts megastar, Jackie Chan, has brought his latest action-packed blockbuster, CZ12, to the international film gala, and has released posters and promotional trailers, Mtime.com reports.

Directed by Jackie Chan, the film has seen Chan pull off more of his famous and unique stunts, such as mountain parachuting.

It has been confirmed that "CZ12" will be screened in IMAX formats in China on December 20.
    Looks a little of Mortal Kombat to me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

With three hotties at Cannes...

...I dunno, Jackie looks like he's doing okay.

Jackie Chan goes out fighting
    Updated: 2012-06-27 13:35
    ( English.news.cn)

Director Jackie Chan, poses with cast members Laura Weissbecker (L) Yao Xingtong and Zhang Lan Xin (R) as they attend a photocall for the film "Chinese Zodiac" during the 65th Cannes Film Festival, May 18, 2012. [Photo/china.org.cn]
    Jackie Chan goes out fighting

Jackie Chan is landing his last punch as an action star, but says he is stepping into retirement having made one of the most important films of his career.

The Hong Kong actor said that his latest film "Chinese Zodiac" will be his last action movie.

Chan, launching the movie at the Cannes Film Festival with co-stars Kwone Sang Woo, Yao Xingtong and Liao Fan, said that people don't believe him when he says he is going to retire.

"They say 'no, you're still young, you can still do it,' but I have to stop one day."

The 58-year-old says he is bowing out with "Chinese Zodiac" - in which he plays a fortune hunter, travelling the world trying to track down missing astrological antiques - because it is one of the "most important" films in his career.

"For the last ten years I've been choosing the director to direct me. This one I direct myself." he said. "I hope this movie, 20 years later, people still remember it. For me, for the audience, for my future, for my history — it's very important."

Chan says "Chinese Zodiac," and the many films before it, have taken their toll on his body.

"It hurts, it really hurts," he says, flinching. "The shoulder, the ankle, it really hurts. You don't know because I still look healthy."

Not that he plans on putting his feet up - Chan shrugs off suggestions of taking up gardening, cooking or bowling in his spare time. He wants to work on his acting muscles instead.

"When I look at Hollywood, at Robert De Niro, he can do anything - comedy, drama," he says.

"Clint Eastwood- 60-70 years old, he can still move. I said yes, that's my goal. Because action stars' life is so short. Actor's life is very long. I want to show audiences I can act."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Comic-con report

I guess the folks over at i09 did not think highly of Jackie Chan's appearance in Hall H of Comic-con. They put him in the Loser category and had the following to say about his appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by "i09
    Every year, there's a living legend who goes into Hall H unprepared, and this year it was Jackie Chan. He was following some of the biggest panels of the year, and almost everybody stayed to see what Chan had brought from his new movie Chinese 12 Zodiac. Since we'd all heard this was a return to traditional action movies, using whatever objects were handy to wreak havoc, we were excited — but Chan brought no new footage and seemed not to want to say much about the movie. He was mostly interested in ragging on the fans who came up to ask questions.

...in the wake of Comic-Con

Sounds like it was another good Comic-Con...
    Jackie Chan Introduces "CZ 12" at Comic-com
    2012-07-17 13:52:05 Chinese Films

Jackie Chan met Schwarzenegger and Stallone at Comic-com. [Photo: chinesefilms.cn]

Jackie Chan arrived at this year's San Diego Comic-Con to promote his upcoming Kung Fu flick "Chinese Zodiacs 12" last week, chinesefilms.cn reports.

The Kung Fu superstar enjoyed a warm welcome from his local fans at the event. He went armed with movie trailer footage and his French roller-suit trainer. He promised American audiences that they would enjoy the "real stuff" in the upcoming movie.

After the press conference, Chan accepted interviews from Hollywood Reporters and Empire Magazine.

His long-time friends Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone visited him during his break. Both of these heavyweights were promoting their latest "The Expendables 2" at Comic-con.

The world premiere ceremony of "CZ 12" will be held on December 20.

By Chen Nan

Chan and actress Laure Weissbecker at the event. [Photo: chinesefilms.cn]

Jackie Chan introduced a roller-suit he used in the movie. [Photo: chinesefilms.cn]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What's the running count on how many times Jacky Chan has retired from action movies now? Is he beating Jet Li on retirement from Kung Fu movies? I lost track.

Also, apparently Jacky failed to impress SDCC crowds by showing up to his panel with no trailers, production stills, poster mockups or apparently preparation.

Probably watch it anyway - watched the Medallion after all.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    What's the running count on how many times Jacky Chan has retired from action movies now? Is he beating Jet Li on retirement from Kung Fu movies? I lost track.

Also, apparently Jacky failed to impress SDCC crowds by showing up to his panel with no trailers, production stills, poster mockups or apparently preparation.

Probably watch it anyway - watched the Medallion after all.
    yea they said he was rude to the fans.

When you are internationally famous for over 40 years, doing probably thousands of shows, interviews and q/a's you are not allowed to have a bad day!

Well in this entertainment climate SDCC is NOT the place to be having a bad day, especially when you are pitching your film to the biggest fandom event in North America.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

This is true, however, I am not thinking too much about the review. Everyone has bad days. We have no idea what is going on in his life personally. Maybe he had the flu, or was up all night for some reason. Maybe he is getting early onset dementia due to years of head trauma. Maybe it was the reviewer that was having a bad day or doesn't like how Jackie behaved for some reason and is exaggerating.

I won't let a one little article change my opinion of him or his collective works and contributions to the action movie genre.

I have seen more of his work than read the works of the reviewer who was probably not even alive when Jackie was making his first hits.

To do that would be silly.

However I've always had mixed opinions of Jacky Chan and of his movies. He's had some classics and some duds. He's done some good things and some creeptastic things. Is he capable of being ****ish to fans? Yes. And I've known that for ages, still watched his movies.

I don't know enough about CZ12 to know whether it'll be a good film or a dud. I'll probably watch it to find out - but I'm not necessarily expecting Project A or City Hunter if you know what i mean.

But with both JC and JL i've got to the point of just whenever they claim that this is the last film - for sure this time.

Because every movie that JL has released in the last decade has been his last and a substantial portion of JC's films have also been his "retirement film" since freaking Rumble in the Bronx!
    Simon McNeil

The quality has definitely gone down as their movies become more formulaic for the last ten years for sure.

I think the last movie I was really impressed with by Jackie was "Who Am I". At least I can't think of any film since then, off the top of my head, that really WOW'd me.

I haven't been impressed with a Jet Li movie since before he did the Black Mask, which I didn't like at all.

From Jacky - The Myth was an entertaining movie.
    From Jet - the last one I REALLY liked was Unleashed.
    Simon McNeil