Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Zodiac: Armour of God 3

Mixed reviews

The few martial arts people that I know who have already seen this say it's classic Jackie and a good finale fight, which is all we really ask of any martial arts flick. Film critics, and now Singapore democrats, seem to disagree.
    Jackie Chan's "CZ12" boycotted
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! NewsroomBy Syahida Kamarudin | 9 hours ago

4 Jan – Jackie Chan was flummoxed to hear that his latest misinterpreted statement about the protests in Hong Kong has triggered a boycott for his film, "CZ12".

Groove Asia reported that after reading the reports on Jackie Chan's alleged anti-democracy comments earlier, former student movement leader Wang Dan has called for the citizens of the country to boycott "CZ12", which sparked arguments with the actor's fans.

To this, Jackie Chan pleaded, "Please don't do this. Everyone has the freedom of speech. Everyone can disagree with my opinion, and I would respect other people's opinions."

When asked if he is worried that the boycott will hurt his movie, Jackie revealed the opposite. He stated, "My movie made 600 million in the Mainland and is also the Southeast Asia box office champion. Anybody can look it up. I don't know how much it made in Hong Kong. Everyone has the right to watch me or not watch me, I don't care."

Meanwhile, the actor was recently seen donating 500 down jackets to the Yau Ma Tei Salvation Army headquarters for those in need.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

new trailer

Jackie Chan's CZ12 《十二生肖》Official Trailer

Zodiac tops $130m box office
    By Patrick Frater
    Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:15 PM (HKT)

Jackie Chan's CZ12 (aka Chinese Zodiac) has amassed some $130 million at box offices around the region, making it one of the biggest Asian films of the year.

Since releasing in China on 20 Dec 2012 it has scored $115 million (RMB719 million) to 6 Jan 2013. That feat has required two consecutive weeks of $37 million-plus performances and made CZ12 the 2nd highest grossing Chinese language film of all time and the fourth highest grossing of any film, local or foreign, in mainland Chinese history.

It has done well around much of the Asia region with Malaysia adding $5.75 million (MR17.6 million), Singapore contributing $3.67 million (S$4.5 million), Thailand $1.55 million (THB47.6 million and Vietnam $1.35 million (VND28.4 billion).

In Hong Kong, for many years Chan's adopted home, the film managed a somewhat weaker $1.38 million (HK$10.7 million). Unlike China, the film faced stiff competition for screens and eyeballs from Hollywood titles notably The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey and Les Miserables. But it is also possible that Hong Kong audiences have tired of the troublesome star, who recently irked many with his comments about Hong Kong people having too much political freedom.

"What is a good date for China is not necessarily a good time for Hong Kong. So when picking a release date we have to ask ourselves what is a film's primary market," said a source close to Emperor Motion Picture, a major investor in the film and its HK distributor.

In Taiwan, where the film was released on 28 Dec 2012, it has amassed $592,000 in a ten day run to 6 Jan 2013.

Later this month CZ12 is set to add other regional openings in India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, the Philippines and Russia.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1st forum review!

Part way through this film, I thought of one of my friend's criticisms of Skyfall having ridiculous story arcs, which struck me as kind of absurd given that it was a Bond film and wtf did he expect? Sure, the story line had a ton of issues and there was incredible suspension of belief, but there were gun fights, car chases, hot Bond girls, cool spy stuff and great theme music. That's all I ask of Bond films.

CZ12 is very much the same, but for Jackie Chan films. This is the kind of film that only Jackie Chan can make. It's classic Jackie - a comical farce, filled with the kind of stunts and fights that only Jackie can deliver. And at 58, he still has the moves. Even with his wire work and special effects, you got to hand it to Jackie. There's a lot of fakery, but there's enough stuff that can't be faked to show he's still the real deal. When it comes to action, Jackie remains fast, funny and furious.

CZ12 attempts to be international, being 1/3 in Chinese, 1/3 in English and 1/3 in French, and there are other languages spoken by news reporters, protestors and pirates. Yea, pirates. CZ12 has pirates, SPOILER including Capt. Jack Sparrow END SPOILER The villains are clowns. There's this theme of returning stolen treasures to their rightful owner nations, which gets a little heavy handed, but it's Jackie on his podium and I'll grant him that between the action sequences.

CZ12 uses the same formula as in AoG2. SPOILERS CZ12 opens with an preposterous theft and chase scene but this time with the roller blade suit. Jackie is saddled with three hotties (1 moral, 1 tough and 1 for comic relief), there's even another hottie shoots up the place with a machine gun scene like in AoG2. And for the final fight, instead of the wind tunnel, he turns that on it's side for a physics-defying leap of faith. END SPOILERS The stunts are good enough for some amusing NG. Jackie shows all those Parkour guys that despite what they say, he is and will always be their Daddy. The fights are fun. Jackie against a gang of henchmen in a hidden villain's factory that is about to explode. Need I say more? An imaginative sofa fight against a rival that is so Jackie that it hurts. SPOILER There's even a good shot to the gonads gag and a great a cat fight - Beijing TKD champ Zhang Lanxin vs. stuntwoman Caitlin Dechelle END SPOILERS There's some weird cameos, mostly of Asian stars that I didn't quite recognize, and I totally missed Kenny G. Seriously. Kenny G. And pirates. And a big fight in a factory. And good NG. What more could you want from a Jackie Chan flick?

If you see it expecting anything more than Jackie fight and do stunts and pratfalls at 58, if that isn't enough, you will be sorely disappointed.

I will see this again on the big screen with my family when it comes to the U.S. It's totally family friendly. This is pure park-your-brain-outside fun entertainment. In fact, if you give it any thought at all, all the cartoon action comes completely undone. From the opening rollersuit sequence to the finale 'skyfall,' the action is obscenely absurd, but when you see the NG and realize what Jackie went through to do it, you can't but deny that nobody - NOBODY - can claim Jackie's title as a martial arts maverick. He says this will be his last action film of this caliber, and I'm both saddened and relieved. He should have stopped years ago and played it safe. Every other actor did. But he's Jackie, the King of Kung Fun, and long may he reign.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Top of the box office

Just for fun, I hyperlinked the other films mentioned in the article that we've been discussing here.

Chinese Box Office: "Chinese Zodiac" Helicopter-Kicks "Lost in Thailand" Off the Top Spot
    Posted 12:51 AM January 9th, 2013 by Senh Duong

Jackie Chan in "Chinese Zodiac"

In a surprise last week at the box office in China, Jackie Chan’s “Chinese Zodiac” finally dislodged Zheng Xu’s “Lost in Thailand” from the top spot. The two films grossed $37.3M and $31.8M, respectively, for the week ending on January 6th. I didn’t think this would ever happen because “Lost in Thailand” had beaten “Chinese Zodiac” for two consecutive weeks prior to this.

Don't feel too bad for "Lost in Thailand" though. With a cumulative gross of $182.2M so far, it just passed Michael Bay's "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" to become the second highest grossing film of all time in China. Now, it's just a matter of time before it takes down the all-time record holder, James Cameron's "Avatar" ($203.8M). This is incredible, especially for a comedy that only cost about $5M to make.

Meanwhile, "Chinese Zodiac" is about to reach another milestone. With a cumulative gross of $113.6M, it’s about to pass "Painted Skin 2: Resurrection" ($114.5M) to become the second highest grossing Chinese film of all time. The next target for Chan's action comedy is Titanic 3D's $155.3M. It’s possible, but a lot will probably depend on how it fares this week against the opening of Wong Kar-Wai’s highly anticipated martial arts epic “The Grandmasters.”

Other notable films in the top ten are Wong Jing's gangster thriller "The Last Tycoon," which stars Chow Yun-Fat and Sammo Hung, and Andrew Lau's martial arts epic "The Guillotines." Both films also star mainland China's highest-earning actor Huang Xiao-Ming. These two big budget tent-poles were supposed to compete with "Chinese Zodiac" for box office supremacy, but have both underperformed.

"The Last Tycoon" held up surprisingly well though, grossing $8.4M last week for a solid $20M total so far. By the end of it's run, it could reach $30M. Sure, compared to the hundreds of millions that "Lost in Thailand" and "Chinese Zodiac" are hauling in, it doesn't sound like much, but, generally speaking, a $20M grosser in China is considered a hit. “The Last Tycoon” has already outgrossed Chow's previous film "The Assassins," a historical drama released in late September of last year that grossed $15.6M before dropping off the top ten.

"The Guillotines," which is a remake/reboot of the classic martial arts film "Master of the Flying Guillotine" is tanking at the box office. Made for $15M, it grossed $2.8M last week for a meager total of $10.7M so far. Look, if you're gonna remake a kung fu classic, be sure to include at least one guy who can kick ass in your cast. Don't think you can get by with just a bunch of pop idols. (A 69 year-old Jimmy Wang Yu, the star of the original 1976 production, doesn't count.)

Next week, I'm curious to see what milestones "Lost in Thailand" and "Chinese Zodiac" will reach. More importantly, I want to see how the "The Grandmasters" will do. Will it be another awards-winning Wong Kar-Wai film that doesn’t make a dent at the box office, or will he finally break through?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Top honors in Okinawa

Still no more word on the alleged US summer release?
    ‘Chinese Zodiac,’ ‘The Happy Life of Debbie’ Share Top Prize at Okinawa International Movie Festival
    1:53 AM PDT 4/1/2013 by Gavin J. Blair

"Chinese Zodiac" (CZ12) took joint top honors in Okinawa
    The “people’s festival” on Japan’s southernmost island closes with record attendance.

TOKYO – Jackie Chan's Chinese Zodiac(CZ12) and Taiwan’s The Happy Life of Debbieby Tien-Yu Futook joint top honors at the fifth edition of the Okinawa International Movie Festival (OIMF), which closed Saturday after attracting record attendance.

"Wow! It's indeed good news and a pre-birthday gift to me. Thank you so much for this award, which is very encouraging. I'm so happy that you love Chinese Zodiac, which I spent six years preparing and one year filming,” said Chan in a statement.

Both films were awarded cash prizes of $10,600 (1 million yen) for their wins in the twin “Laugh “ and “Peace” categories, named for the theme of the festival.

The Happy Life of Debbie, the tale of an Indonesian woman who traveled to Taiwan to marry a local man, had created a buzz with audiences all week on its Japan debut.

Chan's Chinese Zodiac was largely panned by critics on its release at the end of last year and fared poorly in his native Hong Kong, but went on to take nearly $140 million in mainland China.

A total of 422,000 admissions were recorded at the festival, including 53,000 at the opening red carpet event on Mar 23. Attendance at the numerous events held along the beachfront, many of them featuring comedy double-acts from Yoshimoto Kogyo, the organizer of the fest and Japan's biggest talent agency, which has thousands of comedians on its books. No fewer than 144 Yoshimoto Kogyo artists appeared on stage during the eight-day run of the fest.

OIMF has aimed to be a people's festival rather than an industry event, and this is reflected in its programming, live shows featuring local performers as well as a laid-back atmosphere true to its tropical island setting.

“We wanted the festival to be for local people, but they have supported and embraced it even more than we'd hoped for,” Hiroshi Osaki, CEO of Yoshimoto Kogyo, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Other honors, awarded by a jury headed by Joel Schumacher, included a special jury prize to Indian film Barfi!, directed by Anurag Basu, and a special mention for P.J. Hogan's Mental.

A new “Creators Factory” award, aimed at nurturing up-and-coming talent, went to Kiki Sugino for producing Odayaka, for which she also won best actress, and will receive backing from Yoshimoto Kogyo for her next production. Meanwhile, Korea’s Hyun Joong Kim won best actor for his music video Lucky Guy. Next year’s OIMF is provisionally scheduled for the same dates, Mar 23 – 30.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congrats to Jackie

Action star Jackie Chan adds best director award to his trophy shelves for ‘Chinese Zodiac’
    By Associated Press,April 12, 2013

FILE - In this Wednesday, April 10, 2013 file photo, Hong Kong movie star Jackie Chan poses after winning the Best Action Movie in China Award at the Huading Awards in Hong Kong. Chan has received a lot of awards during a career thats spanned 50 years. But a best director award is rare on his trophy shelves. The action star took home one Wednesday night for his 100th film, Chinese Zodiac.

HONG KONG — Jackie Chan has received a lot of awards during a career that’s spanned 50 years, but a best director award is rare on his trophy shelves.

The action star took home one for his 100th film, “Chinese Zodiac.” He was among entertainers honored at the Huading Awards in Hong Kong on Wednesday night.

Chan was all smiles backstage because he says this award didn’t come easy. He says directors like Stanley Kwan and Tsui Hark “move the camera and have fun with it.” But he says the tempo is faster in an action film, and it’s harder to win directing awards.

He added: “I think I also got lucky.”

Chan said last year he thought “Chinese Zodiac” would be his last action movie and he’ll focus on other genres.

In other awards, Fan Bing Bing won best actress for “Double Exposure.” She’s an A-lister in her native China, but her Hollywood debut in “Iron Man 3” was reportedly cut back.

Fan said that as long as she had fun shooting, even if it was a small cameo, it doesn’t bother her: “I think it’s important to have a good time, and I was helping some friends out. It’s fine.”

Best-actor winner Nicholas Tse said he was happy about his win and thanked the cast and crew of the winning film “The Bullet Vanishes.”

“Cold War” was named best film, and a lifetime achievement award went to filmmaker Raymond Chow.

The Huading Awards winners in some categories are selected by industry experts, while others are voted by viewers.
    It's a well-deserved nod to a long amazing career.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT...

...or totally spot on.
    French Return Rat and Rabbit Bronze Heads to Chinese As Gift
    by chinaSMACK on Saturday, May 4, 2013

Last week, François-Henri Pinault, the head of the French luxury group PPR/Kering and French business delegation visiting China with French President François Hollande, returned two of the bronze Chinese zodiac animal heads looted from the Old Summer Palace to the Chinese people as a gift.

The return of the rabbit and rat bronze statue heads seems to have touched a sensitive patriotic nerve with Chinese people and resulted in an interesting reaction following news of a contract for 60 Airbus aircraft from China’s Civil Aviation Supplies Holding Company and French carmaker Renault’s plans to set up a factory in Wuhan to produce 150,000 vehicles per year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

October 18th

I didn't see this on the thread but it looks like it is getting an October 18th release date. There is a trailer up at iTunes: CZ12

Nice find!

There's a news article up on ComingSoon.net, but no listing in the release dates section yet.

The graphic implies 3D, IMAX & 3DIMAX versions. I'd probably drop the extra cash to see it in 3DIMAX, even though I don't think this would be that much better in 3D (almost everything is better in IMAX). I'd do that just to support Jackie.

Jackie Chan is Back in the CZ12 Trailer
    Source: iTunes Movie Trailers
    October 1, 2013

Jackie Chan is back on the big screen this year with CZ12, an action adventure project that he's written, directed, produced and stars in. Check out the film's new trailer in the player below, courtesy of iTunes Movie Trailers.

Also known as Armour of God III: Chinese Zodiac, CZ12 is the sequel to the 1991 film Operation Condor and features Chan reprising his role as Asian Hawk. The movie follows Hawk as he attempts to bring back the bronze head statues of the 12 Chinese zodiac animals, which were sacked by the French and British armies from the imperial Summer Palace in Beijing in 1860.

CZ12 hits theaters October 18.
    Speaking of 3D Jackie, anyone ever see Magnificent Bodyguard (1978) in 3D? I've heard tell that it was the first 3D Kung Fu film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

U.S. release in two weeks

Still haven't heard about the magnitude of the release. It's looking like it's a select theaters deal, like what is happening with Young Detective Dee right now. It's very interesting marketing of a Chinese film, given what happened with The Grandmaster and Jackie's Hollywood recognition.
    Jackie Chan's Stunt-Filled Family Action Adventure CHINESE ZODIAC Opens October 18 At AMC Theatres®
    Jackie Chan broke two Guinness World Records® for "Most Stunts Performed by a Living Actor" and "Most Credits in One Movie"
    BY PR NEWSWIRE
    OCTOBER 8, 2013 09:01 AM EDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Oct. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Jackie Chan's stunt-filled family action adventure CHINESE ZODIAC comes to guests at AMC Theatres in the United States and Canada beginning October 18. Filmed on location across five continents and seven countries, the movie features some of Chan's wildest and most breathtaking stunts ever – including a hillside chase with our hero in a skate suit and an aerial landing on top of an active volcano. During the making of the film, Chan broke two Guinness World Records for "Most Stunts Performed by a Living Actor" and "Most Credits in One Movie" (15), which includes Actor, Director, Producer, Fight Choreographer and Composer. One of the highest-grossing Chinese films of all time, CHINESE ZODIAC has earned over $160 million worldwide.

JC (Jackie Chan) leads a team of treasure hunters (Kwon Sang-Woo, Liao Fan and Zhang Lanxin) who travel the world in search of ancient relics. When JC is given his toughest challenge yet, acquiring 12 mystical artifacts that comprise the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, he enlists the help of archeologist Coco (Yao Xintong) and French heiress Katherine (Laure Weissbecker). Together, JC and his group must locate the priceless relics before they fall into the wrong hands and are lost forever.

Loaded with Jackie Chan's trademark brand of action and humor, Chinese Zodiac features the martial arts comedy icon performing his own death -- and gravity -- defying stunts. Shot on location in China, France, Australia, Latvia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and the South Pacific, the film features an international cast that includes leading actors and actresses from China, France, Korea and the United States. The film is also one of Chan's most ambitious -- one of the major fight scenes in the movie cost more than $10 million.

About Jackie Chan
    With a career that spans over 50 years, Jackie Chan has appeared in over 100 films, including the "Rush Hour" series (1998-2007), "The Karate Kid" (2010) and "Shanghai Noon" (2000).

Born in Hong Kong on April 7, 1954, Jackie's father began training him in kung fu at an early age believing it would help build his son's character and teach him patience, strength and courage.

When Chan was seven years old, his parents enrolled him in the China Drama Academy where he would live for the next 10 years of his life. During his time at the school, he learned martial arts, acrobatics, singing and acting. At age eight, he made his made his cinematic debut in the Chinese film "Seven Little Valiant Fighters: Big and Little Wong Tin Bar" (1962).

Upon graduating from the China Drama Academy at 17, Chan became a stuntman in the Hong Kong movie industry where he soon gained a reputation for being fearless and willing to try anything.

After starring in several movies that were box office disappointments, Chan began taking greater creative control and brought humor to martial arts films which turned him into one of Asia's biggest stars. Years later, he would become a bona fide Hollywood A List superstar with the global success of "Rumble in the Bronx" (1995) and the "Rush Hour" and "Shanghai Noon" series (2000-2003).

Chan is the Ambassador for UNICEF/UNAIDS, working tirelessly for children, the elderly and those in need.
    And for good measure:
    Jackie Chan and Nicole Kidman make an odd couple!
    WHAT an unusual pair. And no, we’re not talking about Nicole Kidman’s chesticles, despite the fact that they were very much on display in her eye-popping dress.
    By Ed Dyson/Published 8th October 2013

Jackie Cahn and Nicole Kidman pose together at the Huading Awards [REUTERS]
    We’re referring to the Hollywood babe 46, hanging around with Hong Kong idol Jackie Chan, 59.

They posed in Macau at the Huading Awards, which is dubbed the Chinese Oscars.

Other notable guests included director Quentin Tarantino, actor Nicolas Cage and former Friends star Matthew Perry.
    Chesticles? Really? I admire Jackie's discipline. It appears that all his energies are focused on maintaining eye contact.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chat with Jackie!

Aww, I'm busy tomorrow at that time. Hope someone else here can get off a question, and if so, please post it here.

Live chat: Jackie Chan talks about 'Chinese Zodiac' on Wednesday

Jackie Chan will talk about "Chinese Zodiac" and more on Wednesday. (Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times)

By Scott Sandell
    October 14, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

Jackie Chan is not dead and is not retiring, contrary to some Internet reports. In fact, Chan will be talking about his latest action film, "Chinese Zodiac," in a live chat at 5 p.m. Pacific on Wednesday with Times staff writer Scott Sandell. Chan will be answering your questions too; just tweet them using the hashtag #AskLATimes now and during the chat.

Opening Friday in North America, "Chinese Zodiac" stars Chan as the leader of a group of treasure hunters who set out to retrieve several bronze animal heads taken from Beijing's Summer Palace more than 100 years ago by French and British forces during the Second Opium War.

In real life, the missing bronzes, which represent animals of the Chinese zodiac, have been a hot-button issue in China. Chan's film finds an inventive way to imagine their possible return.

"Chinese Zodiac" has already brought in more than $160 million internationally despite mixed reviews, and it became one of China's highest-grossing home-grown films ever after opening there in late 2012.

Also known as "CZ12," the movie features Chan's stunts -- including a chase down a mountain in which the actor becomes a human Rollerblade -- alongside slapstick humor and heated discussions about pillaged relics.

While making the film, Chan set two Guinness World Records. The first was for most credits in one movie: 15, including acting, directing, writing, producing, art direction and stunt choreography.

The second was for most stunts by a living actor, an honor that recognized his 50-year career in films such as "Drunken Master" (1978), "Police Story" (1985), "Rush Hour" (1998), "Shanghai Noon" (2000) and the remake of "The Karate Kid" (2010). He made his debut in the Hong Kong film "Big and Little Wong Tin Bar" in 1962 at age 8, before appearing in martial arts movies, including opposite Bruce Lee. Chan has made more than 100 films to date.

At 59, the outspoken Chan may be slowing down on the action front -- at one point he stated that "Chinese Zodiac" would be his last big-action film, leading to erroneous reports that he was retiring -- but he has another "Police Story" installment and the action-comedy "Skiptrace" in the works.

As for the repeated death hoaxes that have plagued him on the Internet, Chan's Facebook page and blog have had some fun with the issue. "If I died, I would probably tell the world!" he wrote.

Join us at 5 p.m. Pacific on Wednesday, when Chan will talk about the new film, his career and the growing collaboration and competition between Hollywood and the Chinese film industry.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

cool! Thank you Ching sifu for the heads-up, I will see if i can tweet a q in

Regarding JC's "death" - i fell for it once on FB, it's a scam to get FB'ers dl some app and install it... not sure if it was malicious intent of the viral/spyware variety or not though

opens tomorrow

Here's that live stream, now not so live...
    Jackie Chan: Martial arts master on his film 'Chinese Zodiac'

Stunts still a ‘piece of cake’ for Jackie Chan, almost 60
    By CINDY PEARLMAN October 16, 2013 9:13PM
    Updated: October 16, 2013 9:14PM

Jackie Chan has felt the pain.

Maybe it was worth it, because the actor has broken two Guinness World Records for Most Stunts Performed by a Living Actor.

Focus on the word “living.”

“I almost died so many times,” Chan says. “Each day, my body tells me I’m very, very lucky.

“I have scars on my legs and arms. So many broken bones. I fractured my scalp making a movie.”

Does he ever think he should stop doing his own stunts? The actor who turns 60 next April says, “All the time, I say to myself, ‘Jackie, you should stop.’ Then my body heals. I recover and want to do it again.’”

“On my last movie, I almost cracked my back,” he winces. “After I recovered, I actually did say, ‘No more big action movies.’ It broke in the press that I said no more action movies. That was untrue. I said big action movies. And what is the definition of big?”

“I can still kick and punch and roll over a table,” he says. “Piece of cake.”

Chan stars in the family action movie “CZ12: Chinese Zodiac,” opening Friday in Chicago. He filmed across five continents and seven countries as a man who leads a team of treasure hunters across the world to find ancient relics. He must find 12 mystical artifacts that comprise the animals of the Chinese Zodiac.

Q: In “CZ12,” you’re standing on an active volcano. Are you nuts?

A: I do land on top of an active volcano. It’s exciting. How many people come close to a volcano? There were little explosions and everyone was yelling, “Jackie, go away. Run!” Rocks were falling on me. I wanted to look like a hero. Rocks were landing on my head. People were going, “Wow, Jackie is tough.”

Q: And how old are you now … 35?

A: (He blows kisses). I’m going to be 60. I’m very lucky I’m still alive and can still make movies. I want to make the world audience laugh. It’s great to have fans come up and say, “Thank you for all of the movies.” I thank everyone around the world who has supported my movies and makes me want to risk it all.

Q: Was it important to you to do a family movie like “CZ12” with a good message?

A: I love family movies with no real violence, but the bad guy goes down. There is a nice message of not being a coward. I want to also teach young people that one person can make a difference. I read a story of 10 girls beating up on one girl. Those 10 girls are cowards.

Q: Were you ever bullied as kid?

A: Yes and no. The big guy always bullies you. That’s why when young students come to train with me, I always protect them. Why can’t we all just respect each other?

Q: What’s going on with another “Rush Hour?”

A: Chris [Tucker, his ‘Rush Hour’ co-star,] is my buddy. In fact, we have a meeting in two days. We’re thinking about doing something new together and not necessarily always a “Rush Hour.” We have two ideas right now that we’re going to start talking about to start next year.
    Enough with Rush Hour already.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

frag me, i missed it, busy with work earlier

So little coverage on the U.S. release

Now Playing at AMCs across the country. Double check your local listings. The AMC site only lists 5 for CA (Orange 30, Puente Hills 20, Atlantic Times Square 14, Fashion Valley 18, Bay Street 16) but my local listings bring up Mercado 20, Cupertino Square 16, Bay Street 16, Metreon 16, Van Ness 14, and Deer Valley 16.

'Chinese Zodiac' Director-Star Jackie Chan: 'I'm an Actor, Not Just an Action Star'
    11:57 AM PDT 10/17/2013 by Rebecca Ford

Jackie Chan in "Chinese Zodiac"
    Chan, who wrote, directed and starred in his latest film, talks to THR about wearing multiple hats on set and reveals the only role in an American drama he was ever offered.

At the Huading Awards show in China in early October, Jackie Chan met Nicole Kidman and told her that there was once a chance they could have starred in a film together.

While Chan, one of the most well known action stars in the wold, has accomplished a lot in his career, starring in more than 100 films, he says he's only offered action roles because of his past work. Now that he says he wants to slow down on doing his own stunts, he says he'd love to do more drama or comedy. However, in the U.S., he isn't offered those types of roles.

Chan can only remember one time a drama script came to his desk -- for The Interpreter, the thriller that was directed by Sydney Pollack and starred Kidman and Sean Penn.

"I got the script, but I told my manager, 'No -- [there's] too much dialogue,' " he says.

At that time, he didn't know it was going to star Kidman, but he let her know about their almost-collaboration when he met her earlier this month.

"I told her, 'I almost made a movie with you! One, I'm glad I didn't make the movie, but two, I'm sad I didn't make the movie -- because of you.' "

Chan said at that time his English wasn't strong enough to handle such a dialogue-heavy role. And while he doesn't get the offers from the American film industry, he is able to flex his drama and comedy muscles in films made in China.

"I want to prove to my audience that I'm an actor -- I'm not just an action star," he says.

What Chan has proven is that he can wear multiple hats and succeed. For his latest film, Chinese Zodiac, Chan wrote the script, co-produced, directed and starred. The film, which hits theaters in the U.S. on Oct. 18, opened in China and around the world this past December and January and has already broken several box-office records. It's earned $138 million at the Chinese box office, making it the highest-grossing action film and the second-highest-grossing Chinese film ever in that market.

Chan spent six years writing the script, doing so while he shot other movies including Rush Hour 3 and The Forbidden Kingdom. The film, which follows a group of treasure hunters as they travel the world to collect 12 bronze animal heads representing each sign of the Chinese zodiac, displays Chan's skills as an action star who does his own stunts, combined with some lighter comedy moments.

"I want to show the audience, yes, I'm not young anymore, but I still move faster than you," says the 59-year-old actor with a smile.

Chan has always been wearing more than one hat it seems. Often employed as the fight choreographer or stunt coordinator on his films, he had a lot of input even when he wasn't the director.

When he was shooting 1998's Rush Hour, he was also the stunt coordinator and said that at one point he almost got in a fight with a crewmember during a scene because he was insisting that a black gun be switched out for a silver one.

"I said, 'Change [to] the silver gun,' but they said, 'No, we can't because of continuity,' " he says. But Chan knew that because both he and Chris Tucker were wearing black clothing, the gun wouldn't be visible in the shot.

STORY: Jackie Chan Plans to Build Namesake Theme Park in Beijing

Convinced, Chan took the gun and sprayed over it with silver spray paint, winning the argument when the gun sparkled as it flew through the air.

Now, 15 years later, Chan says he focuses on using his massive worldwide popularity to spread his message to his many young fans.

"When I was young, I didn't know. But now that I've grown up -- as a producer, director, actor -- we have a responsibility to society," he says.

Looking back on films like 1994's The Legend of Drunken Master, Chan says he wasn't happy with the glorification of drinking and violence. He uses the film Jackie Chan's First Strike as an example of a time he was able to make a small change to the film in order to share an important life lesson.

In the film, his character is at one point unaware that he's a wanted man. Then he sees a woman reading a newspaper with an article about Chan's character being a fugitive. She leaves, dropping the paper. Instead of just picking up the paper to look at it, Chan's character then walks over and puts the paper in the garbage can. "I wanted to teach the young people that if you're walking on the street and you see something, you pick it up," he says. "If everyone just picked up one piece of paper, the city would be so clean."

"Young children learn so quick, from computers, from movies, from video games -- we do have a responsibility," he says.

Chinese Zodiac opens in the U.S. on Oct. 18.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips