Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best remedy for Swine Flu? H1N1

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

OT: Swine Flu - are you freaking out yet?

I keep hearing of school closing after school closing...

As martial arts schools, we make physical contact on a regular basis...

Have you started canceling your classes?

Is this being blown out of proportion in the guise of "proactively taking precautions"?

I heard Aloe Vera is on back order with their hand sanitizers!
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Are you kidding?

5 people infected in the UK... One baby dead in the US... 160 dead in Mexico... and 2500 infected... a shame, but no cause for panic at all.

Mexico City is 8 million people, pop density of 15000 per square mile, and the conurbation is 20 mill and 6000... and only 2500 people infected as known so far. Governments seem to be doing the right thing: it'll blow over as soon as Ebola, SARS and the HK bird flu.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I am hoping to catch the swine flu. I missed all the other deadly epidemics that spread like wild fire killing half the US population; AIDS, SARS, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, the spinach salmonella break, the poisoned Halloween candy, tainted Tylenol, and every serial killer that has existed since Jack the Ripper.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

actually mr. punch, there have only been 7 confirmed deaths in Mexico city that are related to the swine flu.

THe other deaths that somehow got lumped in there, no doubt by yet more shoddy reporting and the increasing low standard of what passes for journalism these days, are not related to swine flu.

There are 20 to 30 THOUSAND deaths a year in the USA from influenza of all strains.
    Does that panic any of you? You have a better chance of dying in a car crash.

Wash your hands! That's about all you need to do.

I was listening to the radio on my commute this morning and the guy says "we have been told not to use the word pandemic but now that the WHO has raised the level to 5 we can!"

The very fact that this "journalist broadcaster" is "told" what he can and cannot say makes that media outlet suspect.

One thing is for sure, the mainstream media are not actually journalists anymore and perhaps haven't been for some time. they are definitely being guided in what to say in order to serve an agenda and that agenda is of course profit and ratings.

The only thing sickening is the mass medias handling of this. They are unworthy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

did you hear abotu the bovine growth hormone scandal in florida where 2 FOX reporters werent allowed to report the links between monsanto's milk BGH and cancer??

well yeah they refused to lie went to court buty then a few weeks later had to apologise and fox issued a public broadcast saying it was officially not guilty of lying after the court appeal

and the verdict of the trial was overturned not because fox wasnt lying but because it turned out

THERE IS NO LAW IN FLORIDA THAT SAYS LYING ON THE NEWS IS ILLEGAL

so they can legally say whatever they want, at least in florida anyhow
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Best remedy for Swine Flu? H1N1

Thus far, I've heard a few differing approaches to managing the H1N1 pandemic. Outside of isolating yourself, washing hands frequently and avoiding touching your face, etc., the two herbal remedies I see everyone stocking up on are:

Jade Screen Formula (Yu Ping Feng San) - known to 'tighten the pores' to prevent the entry of exterior pathogens, this formula boosts the body's immunity to prevent catching colds. A delightfully simple formula comprised of: Huang Qi, Fang Feng, Bai Zhu. In summary, it raises the qi, eliminates wind and dries dampness. This is more of a constitutional formula, i.e. addressing deficiency in one's constitution.

The other formula taken by my teachers from China is Gan Mao Ling, a common cold remedy. This is more of a modern empirically derived formula that contains Ban Lan Gen (radix isatis), which has been shown to have antiviral effects in the laboratory. This is a "wen bing" or warm febrile disease formula specifically designed to combat strong flu-like influences.

This in mind, my current favorite is Ganmao Tuire Chongi, a granulated formula containing ban lan gen and da qing ye (both from the same plant) in addition to herbs to direct the actions to the lungs and respiratory system. It is usually found in a yellow or green box at the herbalist's shop, and only costs a few (under 10) bucks. I used this formula with great success last time I got sick, and beat back the cold in 3 days with no lingering phlegm, cough etc. My friends, by comparison, had the same cold and it lasted about 15 days untreated.

how do you prevent colds and flu? How do you battle 'em once you got one?

in health,

herb ox

Remember SARS?

I do. I was there. For that pandemic, sales of Banlangen (and the derivatives and permutations) went through the roof worldwide. I scrambled to get some before I went. That's good stuff for sure. Sifu Wing Lam turned me on to it when we first went to China in '91'. I still use it when I feel the onset of a cold, but it's very brand dependent. Some brands are far superior than others.

Given this thread topic, I'm tempted to merge this thread with the OT: Swine Flu - are you freaking out yet? thread and bring it all down here to the TCM forum, just to get some action down here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Banlangen appears to do the trick in a US population due to the higher sanitary level. It also helps that the basic rules of washing hands, wearing mask, etc are good but in Mexico, immunity protection would already be compromised.
    Rules are not as strict for vaccination, flu shots, etc annd the water situation is such that a local resident would suffer no problems due to exposure whereas the average American would immediately get diarrhea and such if they woud consume the local water supply. That in itself, is a telling matter.

herb ox:

what would be a H1N1 prophylactic TCM recommendation for a 4 1/2 year old (my son)? he's in generally very good health, NKA, constitutionally strong; he tends to run hot sometimes at night (he sleeps w/us, so I know, as he likes to kick off the blankets), he rarely gets colsa, and the few times have been when he runs around outside on those first warm days of spring, gets all sweaty, takes off his jacket and the next morning it's puffy eyes, sneezing, runny nose and post-nasal drip for a week or so (thanks to the grandparents for that last time, LOL); hx. + for one URI as an infant (basically daycareitis; abx. tx.), conjunctivitis x2 around the same time (abx. as well) and a few mild episodes of ot. med. (MD rec'd abx., we went w/"wait and see" to no adverse effect);

understand if you are not able to say based on above, of course;

thanks

Of course, consult first with your local qualified practitioner, but off-the-record, the Jade Screen formula is very gentle and at a half dose would likely do the trick...

From what you described, you son gets wind invasion - we always say not to get sweaty and go out into the wind - the pores are 'open', thus allowing for the easy passage of pathogens.

That's why any good Chinese mom/grandma/acupuncturist will remind you to wear your scarf when you leave the house... even in the summer!

cheers

ox

PS TGY, great synopsis- sounds like an episode of House!

herb ox ftw

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Thus far, I've heard a few differing approaches to managing the H1N1 pandemic. Outside of isolating yourself, washing hands frequently and avoiding touching your face, etc., the two herbal remedies I see everyone stocking up on are:

Jade Screen Formula (Yu Ping Feng San) - known to 'tighten the pores' to prevent the entry of exterior pathogens, this formula boosts the body's immunity to prevent catching colds. A delightfully simple formula comprised of: Huang Qi, Fang Feng, Bai Zhu. In summary, it raises the qi, eliminates wind and dries dampness. This is more of a constitutional formula, i.e. addressing deficiency in one's constitution.

The other formula taken by my teachers from China is Gan Mao Ling, a common cold remedy. This is more of a modern empirically derived formula that contains Ban Lan Gen (radix isatis), which has been shown to have antiviral effects in the laboratory. This is a "wen bing" or warm febrile disease formula specifically designed to combat strong flu-like influences.

This in mind, my current favorite is Ganmao Tuire Chongi, a granulated formula containing ban lan gen and da qing ye (both from the same plant) in addition to herbs to direct the actions to the lungs and respiratory system. It is usually found in a yellow or green box at the herbalist's shop, and only costs a few (under 10) bucks. I used this formula with great success last time I got sick, and beat back the cold in 3 days with no lingering phlegm, cough etc. My friends, by comparison, had the same cold and it lasted about 15 days untreated.

how do you prevent colds and flu? How do you battle 'em once you got one?

in health,

herb ox
    Posted over a decade ago. Some day "isolating yourself, washing hands frequently and avoiding touching your face" will sink in.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

you won't see this potential remedy propagated any time soon...

Gene,

Its Ban Lan Gen - although the package you have may have incorrectly romanized it as Banlaigen.

Its quite a common remedy these days and a good preventative at the earliest hint of a cold.

If you're looking for a good remedy for tourista when you're travelling - I recommend Po Chai Yuen (known as Bao Ji Wan in Mandarin).

Thanks for the herb wisdom, Chu Sifu.

To clarify for those of us not so well traveled, turista refers to diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, etc. from eating or drinking in a foreign land. Often, these symptoms are caused by bacteria, viruses or protozoans in the food/water supply. The natives usually have much stronger resistance to these microorganisms from constant exposure since childhood. But we Westerners, with our weakened "cheeseburger and fries" digestion, are susceptible since our food supply in the States is relatively free from the likes of E.Coli, salmonella, etc (exceptions to the rule exist, of course!), therefore we never really built the resistance.

Po Chai Yuen / Bao Ji Wan is an effective remedy for nearly all gastrointestinal complaints from indigestion to nausea to diarrhea. For a bad case of the runs, I'd probably dose with [I]Huang Lian Su[I], a tiny yellow pill used for dysentery, which is capable of performing small miracles.

Beyond those remedies, my favorite for treating diarrhea is a Japanese remedy called Seirogan. This remedy is made with wood creosote as its base, and other powerful herbs to stop the symptoms and relieve discomfort. It smells so bad, though, that you can't touch the small, round and resinous pills, lest you smell like a foul creosote bush for the rest of the day

Stock up on the Po Chai before your thanksgiving meal and you'll be fine!

cheers,

herb ox