Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best remedy for Swine Flu? H1N1

I read that swine flu will be worse or stronger than SARS.

mask, washing hand

---

FYI, tamiflu gives your BBQ sauce a nice zing.

Critical Alert: The Swine Flu Pandemic – Fact or Fiction?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...Swine-Flu.aspx
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Best remedy for Swine Flu? H1N1

Thus far, I've heard a few differing approaches to managing the H1N1 pandemic. Outside of isolating yourself, washing hands frequently and avoiding touching your face, etc., the two herbal remedies I see everyone stocking up on are:

Jade Screen Formula (Yu Ping Feng San) - known to 'tighten the pores' to prevent the entry of exterior pathogens, this formula boosts the body's immunity to prevent catching colds. A delightfully simple formula comprised of: Huang Qi, Fang Feng, Bai Zhu. In summary, it raises the qi, eliminates wind and dries dampness. This is more of a constitutional formula, i.e. addressing deficiency in one's constitution.

The other formula taken by my teachers from China is Gan Mao Ling, a common cold remedy. This is more of a modern empirically derived formula that contains Ban Lan Gen (radix isatis), which has been shown to have antiviral effects in the laboratory. This is a "wen bing" or warm febrile disease formula specifically designed to combat strong flu-like influences.

This in mind, my current favorite is Ganmao Tuire Chongi, a granulated formula containing ban lan gen and da qing ye (both from the same plant) in addition to herbs to direct the actions to the lungs and respiratory system. It is usually found in a yellow or green box at the herbalist's shop, and only costs a few (under 10) bucks. I used this formula with great success last time I got sick, and beat back the cold in 3 days with no lingering phlegm, cough etc. My friends, by comparison, had the same cold and it lasted about 15 days untreated.

how do you prevent colds and flu? How do you battle 'em once you got one?

in health,

herb ox

One thing I still don't understand, is how a virus mutates, what causes a virus to mutate, or has a newly discovered strain sometimes always been around but just not identified. I understand things like Ultraviolet and cosmic rays, toxic agents, and genetic/genome manipulation can cause or account for some of the mutations, but because viruses are so genetically specific, given they are just shells with DNA or RNA sequences and instructions inside, it just makes me scratch my head sometimes. Are viruses perhaps more than publicly accessible science perceives to know about them ?

paranoia is running wild
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-21-2010 at 09:02 PM.
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Remember SARS?

I do. I was there. For that pandemic, sales of Banlangen (and the derivatives and permutations) went through the roof worldwide. I scrambled to get some before I went. That's good stuff for sure. Sifu Wing Lam turned me on to it when we first went to China in '91'. I still use it when I feel the onset of a cold, but it's very brand dependent. Some brands are far superior than others.

Given this thread topic, I'm tempted to merge this thread with the OT: Swine Flu - are you freaking out yet? thread and bring it all down here to the TCM forum, just to get some action down here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Great post, lkfmdc.

I'm totally forwarding that one to all my friends. Tao of Pooh and flu of Piglet!

Here's a related thread on the TCM forum that I might merge with this one soon: Best remedy for Swine Flu? H1N1.

One of our warehouse managers just got back from Mexico. We've all been watching him. He's been coughing but just to scare us. The warehouse guys were all wearing masks yesterday, but it was because they were cleaning up and it was really dusty.

Time to burn some moxa.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Samuel Jackson will NOT be getting this flu.

Banlangen appears to do the trick in a US population due to the higher sanitary level. It also helps that the basic rules of washing hands, wearing mask, etc are good but in Mexico, immunity protection would already be compromised.
    Rules are not as strict for vaccination, flu shots, etc annd the water situation is such that a local resident would suffer no problems due to exposure whereas the average American would immediately get diarrhea and such if they woud consume the local water supply. That in itself, is a telling matter.

herb ox:

what would be a H1N1 prophylactic TCM recommendation for a 4 1/2 year old (my son)? he's in generally very good health, NKA, constitutionally strong; he tends to run hot sometimes at night (he sleeps w/us, so I know, as he likes to kick off the blankets), he rarely gets colsa, and the few times have been when he runs around outside on those first warm days of spring, gets all sweaty, takes off his jacket and the next morning it's puffy eyes, sneezing, runny nose and post-nasal drip for a week or so (thanks to the grandparents for that last time, LOL); hx. + for one URI as an infant (basically daycareitis; abx. tx.), conjunctivitis x2 around the same time (abx. as well) and a few mild episodes of ot. med. (MD rec'd abx., we went w/"wait and see" to no adverse effect);

understand if you are not able to say based on above, of course;

thanks

Of course, consult first with your local qualified practitioner, but off-the-record, the Jade Screen formula is very gentle and at a half dose would likely do the trick...

From what you described, you son gets wind invasion - we always say not to get sweaty and go out into the wind - the pores are 'open', thus allowing for the easy passage of pathogens.

That's why any good Chinese mom/grandma/acupuncturist will remind you to wear your scarf when you leave the house... even in the summer!

cheers

ox

PS TGY, great synopsis- sounds like an episode of House!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's all a bid to kill the Mexican economy so Chrysler and GM can close all their plants there.

Notice how there is no talk in the media about the torture memos anymore too?

But I've said too much already.

I vote we call it the mmmmmpocalypse!
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Of course, consult first with your local qualified practitioner, but off-the-record, the Jade Screen formula is very gentle and at a half dose would likely do the trick...
    gotcha; thank you for your "off the record" assessment; actually, I was going have him see a friend / colleague who is an RN / LAc, just haven't had the time; but it's good to know what to have around in a pinch

From what you described, you son gets wind invasion - we always say not to get sweaty and go out into the wind - the pores are 'open', thus allowing for the easy passage of pathogens.
    yes, I was thinking it had to do with "wind" something or other (my TCM database is somewhat limited); usually when he gets the sniffles, I dose him w/my sifu's "cure all" brew of ginger / lemon / honey - usually does the trick; also sleeping w/the camphor / menthol plug-in thingy works great;

That's why any good Chinese mom/grandma/acupuncturist will remind you to wear your scarf when you leave the house... even in the summer!
    LOL - I am sooo trained by my sifu - as soon as it hits 60˚ or lower, everyone's wearing a hat and scarf - which is why I was so p/o'd this year, because I know what he's susceptible to, so I was totally circumspect keeping him healthy all friggin' winter, and of course the first warm day, the grandparents let him run around w/no jacket and get all sweaty - yeesh...

actually, one "old guy" I studied w/for a brief time had a great way of dealing w/the shock of going in and out of air-conditioned buildings/subways in the summer: before you go in (or out), you take a deep breath of the air you are in; then you walk into the other temp, holding the breath as long as you can; then you exhale that breath all the way and hold it out as long as you can; only then do you take a breath of the different air - by then you are much more acclimated - works like a charm, I gotta tell you, especially in NYC subways in the summer!

PS TGY, great synopsis- sounds like an episode of House!
    I'm a PT, wife's an MD, it's all in a days SOAP note, LOL;

thanks again for your perspective;

Word to the wise. If you do plan on starting a global conspiracy, make sure your staff doesn't accidentally get infected in the process.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"