Thread: Four part defense, two-person form

Four part defense, two-person form

I started 12/5/08, and finished first form on or about March 20th. For the past three weeks I've been learning 2 part defense two-man form. This week I began doing the form against other students. I can't get enough of it. Tonight, I must have went through it 50 times, until my forearms were hurting so bad that I had to stop all together and retire to lion dance and the gong.

I'm sure that all you experienced brothers can remember. Learning first form, it impresses you like a series of movements, and that's all. But the two-man form shows that these movements you know in your sleep are strikes and blocks. So when I first started the two-man, I was doing just the movements. But now, I'm thinking, strike that chest, block that temple punch. It's so cool, it's addictive, subject to the expected bruising that I actually had to ice tonight.

Very cool. In Kung Fu, we don't get the immediacy of belts, like in other arts, but there is definitely cool stuff on the horizon for those that can endure learning first form (which was hell).

So, this is just my comment, for whatever it's worth.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

My sessions are now comprised of doing first form with a two pound ring on each wrist an average of four times. Sifu has me do it slowly. It takes about an average of 10 minutes to complete the form. Very painful, and very sweaty with the weather changing in the Northeast.

After that, I go into practice of four part two person self defense form. I'm about half-way thru. It's getting to the point now that my forearms are so bruised that I'm limited at how long I can do it with the older brothers. They seem to be very tolerant of the contact, but I suppose that I'm only just beginning to build up the bones.

Then we do either pad drills or lion dance. The pad drills are grueling. And not only striking or kicking the pads, but also holding the pads against a strong partner. What a cardio/strength work out. In lion dance, I'm up to the gong now. Hopefully soon the drum. We have a four and a five year old that are really great drummers. They have to stand on a milk crate. I plan on video taping them and posting it on the website.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com

I am so happy to hear that you are having a great time learning kung fu.

I can't remember the last time I felt so excited about learning.

Keep it up!

ying yang circle

Today Sifu had me stand in the middle of a ying yang circle painted on the floor. He told me to start first form from the center of the circle. I went thru first form, and on the closing salute Sifu told me to stay still. He pointed out that my closing stance was about 10 feet from the ying yang circle, and said when I improve my stances, my closing should be back into the center of the circle from where I started.

I did first form again, and landed even ****her away. I then did it two more times with not much better sucess. On my 5th and last attempt, while sucking wind, I finally got close enough where my toes were touching the top of the circle. He said "good." I drank a quart of water.
    Cheung Hung Gar Kung Fu
    Philadelphia
    www.cheungkungfu.com