Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Pacquiao Vs. Hatton

OT: Pacquiao Vs. Hatton

Did anyone see it? It was amazing. Two brutal knockdowns in the first, with a lights out KO in the second round.

Pacquiao is simply amazing. It seems he has power in his hands at any weight, but his masterful display tonight made a 140lb'er look like he had power equal to anyone in 147(welterweight).

Incredible. I feel bad for Hatton, hes a good guy, but Pacquiao demolished him in a way that words can't even begin to describe.

i saw lots of commercials for it but didn't see it.

So it's worth downloading, you're saying?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Definitely. Even if you're not a boxing fan, its like a 6 minute highlight reel of everything that makes pacquiao great.

He's been my favorite fighter since the first Barrera fight and even still that shot amazed me. Perfectly timed, perfectly thrown, that shot almost decapitated poor Ricky. Sad thing is I like Hatton too, was rooting for him against Kostya. I hope Manny takes out Mayweather, who's awesome skills often aren't enough to make me ignore his personality.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

He's definitely got the power in his hands to stand with the welterweights. I think a Pacman vs. Cotto fight would be epic. A Mosley fight would be great too but I honestly think Mosley is a little too big and if he fought like he fought against Margarito, I don't know if Pacquiao could take it.

Mayweather is a tough one though. Mayweather's not the toughest boxer in the sport... but he's an amazing boxer. I think with the power manny displayed he could drop Mayweather, but likewise Mayweather has enough power to drop him.

I think the Marquez fight is really going to show how Mayweather would do in a fight against Pacquiao... not because their styles are similar, but Marquez is such a smart fighter but he might be a little too small for Mayweather, and on top of that Marquez doesn't have the best chin... but his counter-punching abilities are first-rate incredible. His demolition of Juan Diaz was amazing. Even if Marquez loses, if he's able to consistently counter Mayweather, there's an opening pacquiao and roach can study. Pacquiao would have a genuine KO chance. But Mayweather's hard as hell just to hit in the first place.

Boxing is incredibly exciting right now, as long as you ignore most anything put on by Don King
    Last edited by AdrianK; 05-03-2009 at 01:44 AM.

I'm laughing about the movement in the Fil to make the dude president!

Talk about non sequitur.

Great boxer though!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think JMM's chin is underrated.
    Yeah, he's been dropped multiple times by Pac, but he always gets up.
    He's gone what, 24 rounds against Pac?

Mosely said he couldn't make 142, so Roach wasn't confident about a match with him. I think it would be a great fight, but can't see Pac winning that one.

I think Pac can blow out most people in his weight range when he's got the speed advantage to deliver his power. Mosely's just too quick, too clean (technique-wise), and has too good a chin. Cotto, on the other hand, can be hit, and can be rocked.
    I'd actually like to see Pac fight Cotto before Mayweather; both would be awesome fights.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

I agree, Juan Manuel Marquez's chin is underrated. And he is the only boxer that Pacquio consistently does not look good against. Many boxing critics thought Marquez was robbed of a win in their last fight.

Pacquio versus Cotto IMO would be similar to the Hatton fight. Yeah Cotto is quicker and more talented than Hatton, but he also has a weaker chin. Pac man would floor Cotto easy.

If he moved down in weight, an Edwin Valero fight would be interesting.

Pacquio would be smart to stay away from Mosely, Paul Williams, and Josh Clottey.

A Mayweather fight would be interesting too. The two best pound for pound fighters, one an offensive master, the other a defensive master. Mayweather would be the quickest opponent Pacquio has faced, and one of the best tactically.

Cotto a weaker chin?

The dude went 11 rounds against a guy with an illegal substance in his gloves that made them like stone, and was still conscious at the end of it. Hatton had a stronger chin before the Mayweather fight, but every fight after that has shown it's gotten incredibly weaker, especially the Juan Lazcano fight where he would've gotten KO'd had Hatton's shoe not became conveniently untied... and the malignaggi fight exposed the weakness that Mayweather took advantage of. Had Malignaggi actually had any real power in those hands, he'd of taken Hatton out in the early rounds too, but not in nearly as dramatic a fashion.

I think Pacquiao vs. Paul Williams would be hilarious... lol. Williams still has a lot to prove though, he hasn't really showed anything amazing. I actually think Pacquiao could do it, despite the massive size disadvantage, because pacquiao is quick enough to get on the inside and unload... he might not be able to reach william's chin though! lol.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 05-04-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Lazcano was the fight at 147 before Mayweather, right?
    Yeah that was the start of the decline of Hatton's chin.

Cotto was hurt at 140 before Margarito, he's been dropped before & wobbled pretty bad. However; Cotto also beat Mosely so you can't overlook that - the same guy that teed off on Margo like he was a heavybag.

Paul Williams just dismantled Winky Wright in April at middleweight, I doubt he's gonna be fighting at 140.

The opponents I'd like to see for Pac:
    Cotto, Mayweather, Judah, and maybe an outside chance with Mosely should he win all 3.

Pac doesn't want to be fighting forever, he says he wants to retire soon, and I think he could win 2 of those 4 fights and go down as an All-Time Great.

Lazcano was the fight right after Mayweather, his comeback fight in his hometown. It was actually a pretty even match the whole way through IMHO, but the scorecards were, it being hatton's hometown, ridiculously in his favor.

But yeah, Paul Williams will never move all the way down to 140, but maybe back to 147. I think Pac should permanently move up to 147, there's no one left in 135 and 140 for him to fight.

But yeah, he's already going down as an all-time great, the guy has one of the most impressive resumes in the history of boxing.

That being said, the Mayweather/Marquez fight isn't til almost the end of July, which means the winner won't be ready for a fight until at least October or November. I'm sad we won't get to see Manny again for another 7 to 8 months. Wonder if he'll have a fight in the meantime?
    Last edited by AdrianK; 05-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.

My bad, I was thinking Collazo fight in 06.

Given that he wants to retire soon, should he even beat Cotto and Mayweather; he could retire the undisputed king of the 140 and below bracket.

As much as i like watching him fight, I don't want to see him jump in there with guys the size of Margarito and Williams.

"Many boxing critics thought Marquez was robbed of a win in their last fight"

not to be persnickety, but you mean the second fight. The third fight was good but Marquez got banged out.

I don't think a Mosely fight is that attractive, except for Margarito, he has no real substantial wins in a while. He is far slower than he used to be, and thinks he is stronger than he is. Pacquiao is too fast for Mosley. He may not KO him, but will crush him in points and the fight will ultimately be not really that exciting.

Pacquiao should fight Edwin Valero at lightweight, that would be an exciting fight, although, Valero has a fight in June, but I think people will be wanting that one after Pacquiao-Mayweather, rematch not-withstanding.
    Considering the ultimate goal right now is a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, and Mayweather will be fighting at 143, Roach may want Pacquiao to prepare heavier. That kinda leaves only Mosley, Cotto, Margarito, and Berto, sans a few others. I think they would be wary of Cotto and Margarito. Berto is still relatively unknown so there won't be that much money in that fight. Mosley has a known name and would be the most logical card should they want to prepare heavier.

JMM and pac only fought twice, according to boxrec.
    First was a draw- where JMM got knocked down 3 times in the first round but came back to dominate the later rounds.
    Second was a split decision in Pac's favor - personally I thought Pac did enough to win.

I don't think the Valero fight's all that attractive; lotta risk for little reward - if he wins he crushed someone that was fed a steady diet of cans & mighta beens who took his first real step up in competition, if he loses he lost to someone fighting on the elite level for the first time. BTW - Pac's in the position to make Valero come up, not himself go down, there's no reason for him to drop back to 130.

Cotto's due to fight Clottey soon.
    If Cotto wins, I think Pac's expected to fight him and then the winner of Mayweather - JMM.
    If Cotto loses, Pac just fights the winner of Mayweather - JMM.

Like I said, with 3 fights left in his career, I don't see Pac doing anymore weight class jumping.

I say the Mosely fight only happens if the Cotto and Mayweather fights are solid wins.

Yeah, if he takes out Cotto and Mayweather the division only has the big dudes left.. as much as I'd love to see a fight with them to see how he'd do, I'd rather see him just go out on top.

not to be persnickety, but you mean the second fight. The third fight was good but Marquez got banged out.
    They only fought twice.. but I think you mean their second fight anyway. Yeah, their second fight was *close* but Marquez didn't exactly get banged out either. He got dropped a couple times and fought his way to an extreme close decision that I believe was at most 2 rounds in pacquiao's favor. I think Pacman won that fight, but he was consistently outboxed, which shows just how amazing JMM is as a counter puncher.

Margarito is definitely too big for pacman. I think while Pacman has the power to drop him, he'd be at a disadvantage on the inside, size-wise. Then again, how much bigger is Cotto than Pacman was at 147? And honestly if Marg hadn't had those bricks in his **** gloves, Cotto was waxing that ass in the early rounds and likely would've continued.

Man, I'd love to see a Cotto/Pacman fight, at the same time I wouldn't because I know one of them has to lose