Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Pacquiao Vs. Hatton

Indeed, I put my foot in my mouth. It was the first fight that Marquez arguably won even though he was downed. I agree Valero is a step down for Pacquiao, I was just speaking as a selfish fan who wants to see a banger. But business-wise i will have to agree, it would be a bad decision right now for Pacquiao.

I actually hope that they don't go Cotto first, then Mayweather. The scene is set, barring a Marquez upset, for the Mayweather-Pacquiao match-up. I don't think Marquez will be fast enough at 143 to catch Mayweather, and Mayweather, I feel, will be stronger at that weight. I still don't have an idea of how this fight will probably go, other than I beleive Mayweather will win.

Viewing the Margarito fight as an asterisk, Cotto has ben hurt more than once in his career, one name off the top of my head is Ricardo Torres almost ko'ed Cotto after taking the fight on a few weeks notice. Cotto's chin IS suspect.

Mosely looked nasty against Margarito and I think he would beat Cotto in a rematch, their fight was pretty close.

Zab Judah has NO chin whatso ever and pac man would crush him.

Andre Berto might do surprisingly well against Pacquio.

Don't count marquez out, I think Pacman is just as quick as Mayweather, and Marquez caught him really well.

Even though I really dislike Mayweather Sr, he made a good point on 24/7, boxing ain't as much about speed as it is about timing, and my god Marquez has some of the best timing and strategies in the game. If only he had the freak physical abilities that pacquiao has, I think he'd be unstoppable.

But yeah, the one thing is the weight. How tough and strong was a Juan Diaz at 135, versus a Floyd at 143/144? The Diaz fight is for all intents and purposes a real showcase because Diaz was the strongest, toughest guy at 135 and he came out looking 10 times better than he ever has, in the Marquez fight, and still went lights out to Marquez's brilliant strategies and counter-punching....

Here's to hoping Marquez pulls off the upset.. then Mayweather will finally have to fight a Cotto that gets beaten by Pacquiao

Cotto is going to be a challenge though, whereas Hatton came forward and gave Pacquiao all of these great openings, Cotto is much smarter about that. He fights at a quick pace and his strength and power is solid, he knows very well how to fight backwards and use his opponent's power against themselves.. and that could present a very real problem to Pacquiao.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 05-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.

It may have been a typo, or I may have misinterpreted what you said. But Juan Diaz has never fought Floyd.

But yeah Marquez's timing is the best in the game, and like Pacquio, Marquez has shown his power stayed with him when moving up in weight. Just ask Casamayor, who has never been ko'ed in his career. (even after fighting guys like Diego Corrales, Acelino Freitas, Jose Luis Castillo and Nate Cambell)

I think Mayweather would lose to Pacquio for one reason and one reason only. In the past the only trouble Mayweather had was against pressure fighters. Look at the first fight he had with Jose Luis Castillo, who I think really won that fight and was robbed. (Jose got whupped in the second fight however)

The difference between Pacquio and the other pressure fighters Mayweather fought against is the speed. Pacman had ridiculous hand speed and punches from odd angles, I think his style his taylored to beat Mayweather.

It may have been a typo, or I may have misinterpreted what you said. But Juan Diaz has never fought Floyd.
    Oh yeah, I can see how what I said can be interpreted as that. What I meant was, how much stronger is floyd than diaz, when you look at floyd's fight, and when you look at Diaz vs. Marquez, where Marquez handled the strength and high intensity of Diaz extremely well. The weight may be a moot point, is what I was getting at.

And yeah, I agree, Pacquiao vs. Mayweather is going to be Mayweather's first loss

My fault, I see what you meant now, lol.

I just heard Joshua Clottey is fighting Cotto. I expect Cotto to get beat, and possibly badly.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this one. Cotto with a late round stoppage or UD.

I'm considering putting some money on JMM for the win against Mayweather. I'm really rooting for JMM and I think hes the smarter of the two when it comes to counter-punching, but the question is does he have the power and speed to stop mayweather, because he definitely lacks Mayweather's agility.

Clottey is an extremely underrated fighter, with power in both hands, has a lot of heart, an excellent chin, and a really good counter puncher. He has as much power as Cotto, but doesn't get hit as often. I expect a late round ko for Clottey.

Marquez I believe will have his power with him. Mayweather will have a distinct speed advantage although Marquez is not slow. Faster opponents has never bothered Marquez in the past, on the contrary, because of his excellent timing, I think he throws a lot of the faster opponents off. Both fighters are extremely smart boxers, probably being the two smartest fighters of this era. It will be interesting to see who wins, and what strategies they employ. I wouldn't put money on that fight, because I think they are more evenly matched than ppl think. I will be rooting for Marquez to win however.

I think it would be interesting if Marquez sat back and waited for Mayweather and let him be the aggressor. With Marquez's timing and counterpunching ability, he could pull it off, and Mayweather would be in the unfamiliar role as aggressor.

Or Marquez with his excellent power and accurate punching could pressure Mayweather and force him to fight backing up.

I may be starting to turn the corner for Marquez. After thinking about it, I think De La Hoya could have beat Mayweather if he pushed the fight more, especially in the corners. Marquez's camp said that De La Hoya already showed how to beat Mayweather. Hatten was certainly more of a pressure fighter, but does not have the timing and patience of Marquez. That and an ego so overinflated now by Mayweather, it would not surprise me if Mayweather did not train like he has in the past, or has an awkward camp after taking time off. If Marquez has a good camp, I think he may win. I'll be waiting for the first 24/7 soon.

Marquez-Mayweather

The making of a great match. Even though Mayweather has had time off- he always works out
    and should be in top shape. Both of them have had excellent coaching. Marquez may have a little more wear and tear. He is tough- I thought that he edged Pacquaio-though the latter keeps improving while Hatton does not.But knockdowns extract a price on the long run.Mayweather moves out of danger a little more easily. While Marquez is good on the inside- the inside is Mayweather country.The key is whether Marquez can control the distance sufficiently to stay out of inside trouble and move seamlessly inside/outside..
    I watched again the replay of the Pacquaio-Hatton fight...Pacquaio really has become a complete fighter. And Roach is a better trainer than he was a fighter.His own last fight was some disaster and damaged him.

Hovering around 140 pounds- those are 3 great fighters-Mayweather, Marquez and Pacquaio.A great time for boxing at that weight- while light heavy and heavy have become less interesting.

Hatton could still have some good fights aginst non thinking fighters- but he has reached his ceiling...as far as excellence is concerned. Boxing is a young man's game- the window for evolving is smaller than in some martial art styles.

joy chaudhuri

Very well put.

Pacquio has become a complete fighter. I remember a time where he was a one dimensional fighter, with his nasty left hook relying on his natural gifts, speed and power.

He learned how to jab, he learned how to counter, he learned to go to the body and he learned how to be dangerous with his right, and you are correct in saying it's because of Roach.

As for Marquez and Mayweather, Marquez has a NASTY jab and uses it very well, I think he can definately box on the outside with Mayweather.