Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betal Nuts?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Betal Nuts?

Has anyone tried Bing-Lang/betal nuts? I have heard people chew them and it is a mild euphoric. The first time I heard of them was when reading,"Iron and Silk."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Has anyone tried Bing-Lang/betal nuts? I have heard people chew them and it is a mild euphoric. The first time I heard of them was when reading,"Iron and Silk."
    OMG, you brought back some memories. I remember 1966. My first tour in 'Nam. I saw these really pretty Vietnamese girls. Then they smiled. Their teeth were reddish brown from the betalnut. The older women's teeth were almost black.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

One of my dream vacations is to tour all of the betal nut stands in Taiwan.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

yeah, I'd heard it makes your teeth black. Then again, they don't have the greatest dental hygiene in those parts either.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I tried betel in India...

... it reminded me a lot of tobacco. A mild stimulant with digestive properties. You chew and spit, like chaw. Nasty really. Remember that train station in Slumdog Millionaire? I've been there. In every corner, the walls are stained blood red with betel spit.

I'm moving this to the TCM forum, just because it's slow down here. Maybe someone can post some links to Taiwanese betel girls. In India, the betal-wallahs are all old guys...

Here's a start.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So it sounds like you guys have never seen a betal nut girl. Gene, trust me, the betal nut girls in Taiwan are hot as heill.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol, yu shan, ever since you told me about this aspect of the visit to Tianan, I've had a hard time deciding which was more enticing: training with Shiye, or the Betal Nut Girls

so, does anyone know what exactly it is about the betal nuts that's got the kick?

and, Gene, I still don't get my emails about threads i've posted or subscribed too...I'll pm you on the morrow about it...or tell me who to check with. tia.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

"In India, the betal-wallahs are all old guys..."

do they still wear the cute little outfits with the short shorts?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    OMG, you brought back some memories. I remember 1966. My first tour in 'Nam. I saw these really pretty Vietnamese girls. Then they smiled. Their teeth were reddish brown from the betalnut. The older women's teeth were almost black.
    And their breath smelled like satans bum.

I thought this was a thread about Michael Keaton's gonads...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I thought this was a thread about Michael Keaton's gonads...
    that would be beteljuice.

Indian version

The betel nut istelf is not that tasty. They are called "supuri"(Bengali) or "supari" (Hindi)in eastern India.
    Chewing results ina brownish juice. But when betel nut , a white edible lime paste(chun or choon)
    and some other stuff is wrapped ina betel leaf- then it becomes "pan"-the juice is red.
    There are poor people's versions and not so poor peoples versions- depending on the quality of the nut, the leaf and the ingredients. Often used after a meal

jo chaudhuri

ok, so what does it taste like, and what are the effects of chewing it?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Nuts and leaves

Plain betel nuts: taste "dull"- mildly helps digestion- mildly stimulating.

When mixed with other things (in India) can taste a bit sweet.

When mixed with other things and wrapped in betel leaves(pan)-can taste a little sweet-too much can be addictive-because the combination can have a nicotine content. The leaf mixture can be made to look attractive by being wrapped in thin silver paper.

joy chaudhuri

That's where betel-wallahs rock..

...while betal isn't served by hot chicks in skimpy outfits in India, a betal-wallah will serve it up to your taste by mixing a range of different fresh spices in a chutney-like blend, hand-wrapped in a leaf to form a sort of skoal-bandit-like pouch. Very tasty. I didn't know what the hell I was doing at first. The betel-wallahs work from these newspaper-stand-like sheds. I went up to one, quite clueless, and the wallah listened to my tastes, asked several questions, and then patiently explained everything he was doing. That's one of the great things about India - fantastic person-to-person customer service. I tried betel several times in India, and a few times in Indonesia, but ultimately, it didn't do that much for me, so I didn't pursue it much ****her. I'm not into nicotine-like substances, or I'd be into nicotine. It's readily available here. Our city has a huge Indian population.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart