Thread: Mastering Chinese Medicine

Thumbs up Mastering Chinese Medicine

What does it take to actually master Chinese medicine? For me, language has become a key. I have been working through the book Classical Chinese Medical Texts by Richard Goodman. Before, I had thought that knowing a few Chinese characters and being able to talk about them in English was good enough. Now, I am seeing how much I was missing by not having direct access to the Chinese texts.

I had always wanted to continue the tradition of the scholar-physician, but wondered how we in the West could do this. I have always felt that language is a huge part of the scholar-physician tradition. Goodman's textbook seems to give those of us who are interested in continuing that tradition a tool to finally do so.

What do you think it takes to master Chinese medicine? Has anyone else been working with the book?

In the words of Sun Si Miao (Translated by Heiner Fruehauf):

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.classicalchinesemedicine.org/translations/sunsimiao.htm
    How a Great Physician Should Train for the Practice of Medicine

Sun Simiao (581-682)

Translated by Heiner Fruehauf

Everyone who aspires to be a great physician must be intimately familiar with the following classics: the Simple Questions (Huangdi neijing suwen), the Systematic Classic of Acupuncture and Moxibustion (Zhenjiu jiayi jing), the Yellow Emperor’s Needle Classic (Huangdi neijing lingshu), and the Laws of Energy Circulation from the Hall of Enlightenment (Mingtang liuzhu). Furthermore, one must master the twelve channel systems, the three locations and nine positions of pulse diagnosis, the system of the five zang and the six fu organs, the concept of surface and interior, the acumoxa points, as well as the materia medica in the form of single herbs, herb pairs, and the classic formulas presented in the writings of Zhang Zhongjing (fl.150-219, author of the Shanghan zabing lun), Wang Shuhe (fl.210-286, author of the Maijing), Ruan Henan (4th century, author of the Ruan Henan yaofang), Fan Dongyang (fl.308-372, author of the Fan Dongyang fang), Zhang Miao (4th century), Jin Shao (4th century) and other masters.

In addition, one should have a masterful grasp of the science of determining the Yin-Yang of destiny (yinyang lu ming), all schools of physiognomy (xiangfa), and the divinatory technique of interpreting the five omens in fire-cracked turtle shells (shaogui wuzhao), as well as the skill of Book of Change divination utilizing the system of the heavenly stems and earthly branches forming a cycle of sixty years (Zhouyi liuren). It is imperative that one masters all of these methods with the depth of an expert, only then can one become a great physician. Without this knowledge, it will be like having no eyes or stumbling around at night—one will be destined to fall down and be done at the outset.

Further, one needs to study the treatment methods assembled in this collection (Beiji qianjin yaofang, 652) to a degree of perfection, contemplate the marvelous principles that engendered them, and make them one’s own by applying great care and great depth—only then can one begin to give knowledgeable advice on the path of medicine.

Further, one must be widely read in all categories of traditional writing. Why? Because if one does not read the Five Classics (Yijing, Liji, Shijing, Shujing, Lüshi chunqiu), the way of altruistic love and self-restraint will remain alien to us. If one does not read the Three Histories (Shiji, Hanshu, Dong guan ji), the important events of ancient times and their repercussions in the present will fail to inspire us. If one does not read the philosophical writings of the ancient masters, the true essence of everything we face will remain veiled. If one does not read the Classic of Medicine (Neijing), we may never truly know the virtues of mercy and compassion. Without reading the Laozi and the Zhuangzi, we won’t know how to live in harmony with nature and move in synch with the cycles of the macrocosm--causing constant scruples that come with the belief in “good fortune” or “ill fortune.”

Finally, one must investigate the intricate dynamics of the five phase elements (wuxing xiuwang), and the astrological system of calculating the position and relationship of the sun, the moon, and the five planets (qiyao tianwen).

If you can study and learn all of these subjects well, there will not be any obstacles on your path to medical practice, and the results will be perfect in every way!
    I think if SSM was alive today he'd include Western Medicine into his list. I think most Western practitioners today are lucky if they've completed a run through of, let alone mastered, the first paragraph. Acupuncturists will have seen maybe half of what's in the first paragraph, and herbologists the other half. Practitioners and doctors should have seen the whole thing.

That's one paragraph down, 4 more to go!
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Re: Mastering Chinese Medicine

Your post brings me back to language. How can a modern practitioner master all of these things without access to the texts? Are we to rely on the translations of others? Most of what SSM says is textually based, after all.

What I like about Goodman's Classical Chinese Medical Texts is that it teaches people to read the texts mentioned above. It covers grammar, vocabulary, and has plenty of example sentences and explanations. I have seen a few other books that attempt to teach medical language, but none of them come close to teaching it the way CCMT does.

So, I guess the question is...is it possible to master Chinese medicine without learning to read the classics? And is there any other book out there besides Goodman's? I know there are at least two graduate programs in the US that focus on language (NCNM and SIOM). But what are the thousands of other practitioners to do? I suppose I'm arguing that for practitioners who haven't graduated from the two schools above, Goodman's book is an essential piece for mastering Chinese medicine.

Perhaps we should begin with what it really means to be a 'Master' of Chinese medicine.

Mastery as an end result breeds stagnation if growth stops once you achieve the desired level of education.

Sun Si Miao's guidelines are appropriate, but merely guidelines. There are many I would consider Masters who have not read all the classics as listed. Yet, there are those who have read them all, but who are unable to humble themselves - I can't consider you a master if you haven't mastered your ego.

So, what's SSM getting at - maybe its not about being a Master, but always perfecting your technique.

in health

herb ox

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Perhaps we should begin with what it really means to be a 'Master' of Chinese medicine.

Mastery as an end result breeds stagnation if growth stops once you achieve the desired level of education.

So, what's SSM getting at - maybe its not about being a Master, but always perfecting your technique.

in health

herb ox
    I agree, which is why I used the term 'mastering' as a continuation. Being "a master," as you put it, certainly sounds limiting and arrogant. Mastering to me means, in part, being a perpetual student. This is why I'm advocating language studies, as it seems without this, we are stuck reading poor translations that are often steeped in misinterpretation. There is not much of a way forward without it. Until I started learning to read the classics, something Goodman's book helped me become much more proficient at, I felt stuck. I keep trying to guide the conversation back to language studies, but no one is addressing it!

My TCM school actually offered two Chinese language courses where both written Chinese and oral Mandarin were taught. I did well with the Mandarin, ok with the Chinese characters... the thing is, I ended up not using them and have forgotten many of them. I need to refresh for sure.

So there ARE schools that try to give their students a set of language skills to help them along their journey. The school I'm at right now offers terminology courses, but no Chinese language classes.

Learning the language is definitely advantageous in learning the material. The best way I can think of to do this is to move to a country that uses Chinese characters. Otherwise, private classes or University courses.

I've never read Goodman's book. I'll definitely take a look at it now, though.

EDIT:

The language which TCM gets translated INTO matters as well. French translation contain certain subtleties that English translations don't, and vice versa. In an attempt to standardize TCM definitions and concepts throughout the greek/latin-derived languages, Manfred Porkert has been translating TCM knowledge into greek - a Western root language which allows for the subtlety of concept and regional translation necessary for the effective application of TCM. Time will tell if he is successful.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 05-06-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by AcuGeek View Post
    Your post brings me back to language. How can a modern practitioner master all of these things without access to the texts? Are we to rely on the translations of others? Most of what SSM says is textually based, after all.

is it possible to master Chinese medicine without learning to read the classics? And is there any other book out there besides Goodman's? I know there are at least two graduate programs in the US that focus on language (NCNM and SIOM). But what are the thousands of other practitioners to do? I suppose I'm arguing that for practitioners who haven't graduated from the two schools above, Goodman's book is an essential piece for mastering Chinese medicine.
    One does not need to master every single text per SSM but as long as one know where to find said texts, then that is the real crux. Additionally there is a big difference between the language through the ages (back then) and presently.
    The language basically means different things depending on the social milieu (my favourite word) of the individual.
    One of my teachers was skilled in at least 5 schools/variations of calligraphy and it differed alot from the modern version thoe same characters that I can understand how 10 people defining qi can all know different version of that same understanding!
    My own preference is Giovanni Maccioca and a chap from the UK with his Five Element Acupuncture. ANother person who is a good representative is Felix Mann, somewhat of an iconoclastic interpretor but instead of regurgigating alot of what the Classics may say, he is often right on with a template of understanding.

30 new recognized masters

First time I've seen this, but I'm sure it's been going on for some time.

Award ceremony recognizes 30 new masters of TCM
    China Daily, June 30, 2017

China recognized 30 new national masters of traditional Chinese medicine during a ceremony in Beijing on Thursday. [Photo/Xinhua]

Of the new masters, 25 are men and five are women, and all have practiced TCM for at least 50 years, according to the State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

They range in age from 66 to 96.

The award ceremony was held by the administration, the National Health and Family Planning Commission, and Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security.

"The masters should serve as role models for the country's TCM practitioners to wholeheartedly serve their patients, promote TCM, and help pass down the oriental medical science via education and training," Wang Guoqiang, head of the administration, said while addressing the ceremony.

According to Wang, it is the third time the Chinese government has recognized national TCM masters, bringing the total to 90.

Together with the 30 masters, another 99 TCM practitioners from across the country were awarded the title of "famous veteran TCM doctor".

Qi Xuan, a division director of human resources at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, said that such high-level recognition encourages young TCM doctors.

Xu Runsan, 91, a TCM doctor at the hospital who specializes in gynecology, is one of the newly recognized masters.

"He's in good health and still sees patients every week," Qi said.

TCM is a medical science largely based on clinical experience and it requires lifelong dedication to become a good TCM doctor, she added.

Nationwide, Western medicine has become the mainstream and shoulders the lion's share of the overall supply of medical care services.

But the government has introduced a slew of measures and policies to facilitate TCM development.

China's top legislature late last year adopted a law on TCM, allowing it a bigger role in the country's medical system.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart